Kicker KX Amp Protect Flash or Malfunction FIX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I just registered to post the issue I just had with an older KX 600.4. It would either flash protect or come on but have a horrible signal with lots of interference. When I opened it up I saw some type if brown glue like material on some of the components.

I remembered seeing an EEV Blog video a while ago about some bad bookshelf speakers with the same brown goop. Testing the glue for conductivity revealed it was conductive enough to transfer voltage. The glue was originally a non-conductive glue (that was never needed in my opinion) but over time become more and more conductive.

After removing all the brown goop both Dave's bookshelves (EEV blog) and my Kicker KX worked perfect. I failed at taking pics but if this is problem its easy to diagnose by checking resistance of the glue with a DMM. If it doesn't read zero or "OL" carefully remove it all with a plastic pointy bit and hopefully back in business.

Good luck.

This is a problem in a lot of car amps. The fixative also becomes corrosive and can eat through the resistive material on resistors (changing their value). I've seen it eat through the legs of transistors.

There is one example below where you can see the green corrosion on the leg of the resistor.

This stuff was a problem at least back as far as the mid-80s and the manufacturers still use it.

Attachments

• IMG_3891x.jpg
    IMG_3891x.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 58
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.