KiCad and DipTrace

I really don't mean to start a "which is better" debate, but I would like to move beyond the circuit board layout software that I've been using for years (now discontinued and unsupported). Based on what I see here on diyAudio, KiCad has perhaps the largest following and is open source. But DipTrace appears to be in the same class of software as KiCad. It has a free version for hobbyists (with some limitations), but even the "Standard" paid version is reasonably priced as a one-time charge. I don't mind paying for software that I find useful.

So I'm curious if anyone looked at (or actually tried) both KiCad and DipTrace before deciding on one or the other. Thanks to anyone who can share any first-hand experience.

Last edited:
I have been using KiCAD for a couple years now and I have to say that they have made enormous improvements and it's now my go to.
I have used many CAD programs through the years for schematic and layout.
There is a little learning curve but I think in the long run it's a better choice for me than many others because of the moves to online subscriptions.
I've been burned a number of times by companies going out of business or being bought out and transitioning to subscription licensing.
Taking those design files and trying to convert them or worst yet, recreate from scratch because there is no conversion is a bad experience.
At least with KiCAD I can always download an older version to open old files and so far old files have been compatible with newer releases.
Ultra librarian has a huge selection of symbols, footprints, and 3D components which are relatively easy to import.
Heck, even Digi-Key has libraries for a large number of their components.
It's also relatively easy to create or modify your own symbols and footprints.
There is a ton of tutorials and information whenever I get stuck on something and it's usually easily resolved.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 users
I've also been victimized by other software that switched from a one-time purchase to a subscription model. I suppose that DipTrace would pose a similar risk, but as part of their online marketing they try to lure people away from Eagle on the basis of the perpetual license. I guess only time will tell how committed DipTrace is to the one-time purchase model.

https://diptrace.com/buy/offer/

I have used (and still use) both.
Early on, I liked and used Diptrace because it was VERY quick to learn and layout my first board and it was the least expensive path with integrated schematic capture and layout, which was a MUST HAVE for me.
BTW, Sprint layout is also VERY quick and easy to learn, but does not have integrated schematic capture, as I said, a deal-breaker for me.
But I like the cost, massive amount of users sharing info and support (very much like LTSPICE) and development path looking forward of Kicad.
I'm planning to migrate fully to Kicad.
My history is I've used a number of CAD tools for many years in my day job: some in-house company proprietary tools as well as other throughout the CAD industry over the years Orcad, Protel, PADS, Altium, Mentor Graphics, PCAD, etc. I actually liked Circad for my home project work, but left it when Windows OS got popular; Circad is very "DOSsy"
Most of us who have used CAD tools for a long time will say "just pick a tool you kinda like and learn the heck out of it - in the end, they're all similar and all can get the job done. Kicad has come a LONG way from its early days and would be my recommendation to someone starting out from nothing.

mlloyd1