Kenwood KR-2400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I recently found a working Kenwood KR-2400. I was wondering if anyone ever heard this amplifier and knows how it sounds. I think I heard that Kenwood used to be a higher quality brand than it is today, but that may be rumors.

I have included the schematic. If someone knowledgeable could look at it and give me his opinion, I would appreciate it. If it's worth it, I might give it a new life! (change the connectors, clean everything, fix the tuner, fix some knobs, etc.) If not, I might just keep the case.

Thanks!
Julien
Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/6fkr2400p

I think it is worth keeping and restoring it still has that good old Kenwood/Trio logo. I like vintage amps and receivers from the 70's-80's they where built to last and your unit is a testament to that plus its has that classic look, unlike today electronics a throw away item. It would be a shame if that goes to a garbage dump.

I love the design too. But if the amplification section is not worth it, I was thinking about replacing it with a newer design (perhaps LM3886 in bridge mode? supply voltage is +- 24.5 VDC). Note that it's hard to evaluate it's quality because the connectors are so dirty I can hardly make an average connection. I could keep the preamp (or maybe change it if I can reuse the pots and switches), tuner and case.

Restoring vintage audio equipment is an art. Takes real patience and lots of deoxit. One thing I like about it is they utilize discrete devices,you can easily upgrade those existing parts with a better one (i.e. low noise transistors, audiograde caps etc.) probably your unit would be needing a recap by now. 15Watts/ch of power is more than enough to shake your house down if your using high efficiency speakers (90dB 1W/1M and up) Just my 2 cents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.