Karlson K-15 what driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kenpeter,

Have you looked at the latest patent JEK held, specifically regarding the so called " Figure 6 " diagram. There's a DIYer in the Netherlands who has built cab's to the new layout. The area above the shelves is bent into a smooth arc, and both the front and rear shelves are removed. He seemed very pleased with the results. He also modified the size of the vent.

My own plan is to build a box, and then construct both an updated, braced original interior, and one based on the mods described above, so I can listen to both, then decide which I like and veneer/finish the cabs.

I'm leaning to the Smith DSH, but the materials to do the " tube", are inexpensive so probably will try them too.

John

Hi mightym

I am considering a 'K' at the moment as well.
I have seen the legendary 'fig.6' mods also.
I apreciate what ken peter says to compare K15 and 'fig.6' mods.
How did it all work out for you ?
What driver did you use ?
I would be interested to hear about it.

Cheers

Simon

P.S. I like the idea of a speaker that seismicaly loosens plaster and breaks glass in distant rooms ! did yours manage this level on the Rickter scale ?
:cool:

The flaw in Fig6 is that it focuses to a horizontal stripe,
but the exit slot is VERTICAL. Thus the first pass exit
efficiency is low, and you have a lot of reverberation.

Now, you turn those curves sideways, and maybe you
can provoke a focus that is more in line with the exit.

Its also important to lengthen and contort that path of
acoustic short circuit managed by the shelves. I think it
would help to brace the wings and back by moving the
gap area to the sides or corners.

Attachments

• Box8.jpg
    Box8.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Box3.jpg
    Box3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Can't help, never built the K Kab's.

I'm still not sure what driver I would use if I did. Spent several months studying the concept, decided that I would be better off spending my limited hobby time in other pursuits.

I've been playing with High Efficiency speaker drivers, single drivers, and SET amps with not much wattage. I'm trying to learn how to design horns for a front horn system now...

Sorry not much help, I know.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.