Kaneda Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built this preamp design (both the regular and the RIAA version)? I started designing my preamp more seriously and decided this looks like a nice circuit; yet so far i've only simulated it... my concerns are:

- Any suggestion for replacement transistors? I'm using 2N4416 for the mosfets and BC546/BC556 for the bipolars, through this is on the simulator so far.

- Does the supply voltage needs to be SO high (+/-36V?!?!). On my model i'm using +/-16V and the preamp seems to run flawlessly, and this could even let me use cheap regulator ICs for the power supply, which i imagine should be as noiseless as possible.

- Hae you had any problems with DC drift at the output?

Kaneda - you have to do it right

Hello,

I had done Kaneda preamps, like that version from 1978 which can be found on the bonavolta homepage. Professor Kaneda publishes a new preamp/power amp/whatever every two months in the Japanese DIY mag MJ (Musen to Jikken). 2 years ago he published his design no. 160 or so.

Yes parts are crucial. When using that topology you have the sonic benefits only if you use 2SK30 in the input stage and 2SA872 in the voltage amplifier stage. It should be no problem to get these transistors. They are still listed in many German mail order electronics catalogs.

And the power supply voltages must be that high, because of two reasons:
1. you can use resistors where normally you have constant current sources.
2. the 2SK30 sounds better

yes, you need a coupling cap at the output of the RIAA stage, otherwise you have fluctuations of 100mVolts up and down depending on temperature, even if you do the adjustments correctly.

yes, this preamp is rewarding, putting shame on many preamps costing 3000 USD or more. Sound is very neutral, good dynamics, some say tube like, you can relax and it sounds very natural. Resolution is the only point where state of the art designs of today might be better. Very musical, very good in pace, thythm, and timing (like a Naim).

Later designs from Mr.Kaneda are different, they have better resolution, less noise ... but somewhat lost that magic, that the old design had, that rare mixture of tube like beauty and Naim-like power.

regards,
Hartmut in Munich

Re: Kaneda - you have to do it right

hifidaddy said:
Yes parts are crucial. When using that topology you have the sonic benefits only if you use 2SK30 in the input stage and 2SA872 in the voltage amplifier stage. It should be no problem to get these transistors. They are still listed in many German mail order electronics catalogs.

My problem is that Japanese transistors are a bit difficult to get down here (Argentina). My idea was to fetch their datasheets on the net and then find suitable, high quality replacements. I once saw a page recomending a Motorola replacements and claiming there was no audible differences, but i lost it...

And the power supply voltages must be that high, because of two reasons:
1. you can use resistors where normally you have constant current sources.
2. the 2SK30 sounds better

I imagined the first part... i'll try to see what's the story with lower voltages, but, in any case, the LM317/137 (which i'm using for the regulated psu) can deliver as much as 50v. It's just i have to drive relays and other parts in the preamp, and an 35v, it gets tricky, not to mention the bulkier transformer.

yes, you need a coupling cap at the output of the RIAA stage, otherwise you have fluctuations of 100mVolts up and down depending on temperature, even if you do the adjustments correctly.

No, my main concern was with the regular "line" design... the schematic i have has only a filter cap in the feedback loop. There will be some DC, but i just wondered how much did it vary over time.

yes, this preamp is rewarding, putting shame on many preamps costing 3000 USD or more. Sound is very neutral, good dynamics, some say tube like, you can relax and it sounds very natural. Resolution is the only point where state of the art designs of today might be better. Very musical, very good in pace, thythm, and timing (like a Naim).

Thought so :D The minute i saw the design i fell in love with it; simple, elegant, and a RIAA version. And reputed to sound incredible...

There are a lot of Kaneda projects <a href="http://www.sm.rim.or.jp/~konton/">here</a>

But its a very hard site to navigate, try here <a href="http://www.sm.rim.or.jp/~konton/No-128ka.gif">No-128ka.gif</a> has ±15V rails.

They all use Japanese transistors.

Regards
James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.