JVC rx8010vbk amp cuts right back off

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 8010 comes on (display lights up), makes a click somewhere on the power supply side, and clicks right back to standby mode (red light on standby when it is plugged in and off). The only obvious thing I would know to do and not shock myself is pull the cover and look for a fuse. The 6.3a fuse looks fine to me.

Is there any other simple thing for a novice to check before spending any money on it? Thx in advance for any revelations you might have.

MH1

I had a very similar problem with a Sony STR-KM3. It was simply a faulty relay (which function was connecting main transformer to mains). Since it was a micro-relay, maybe it went ill after lots of ons and offs. Replacing it with a "stronger" part returned things to work fine again. Maybe forever.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Modern receivers have a microprocessor controlled protection mode, where the fault you describe also happens. It seems the standby mode also doubles as the protection mode warning and according to the manual, this is an "overload" problem. Well, overload can't be the case if you have (and you certainly should have) disconnected all directly wired speakers to investigate the problem.

Unfortunately, since the amplifier shuts down as soon as you power up, it can't be tested easily without overriding the protection state and risking (further) damage. That won't be at all easy and I would suggest you get professional help rather that tinker with it, if it proves to be more than a simple relay fault - which I don't think can be the case if it first "clicks in" normally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.