JVC JA-S310 Bias setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Just a quick question, in the service manual for the JVC JA-S310 Bias setup it says left channel 10mA and then in brackets 20mA for the right channel, is this a mistake, never seen an amp with different bias setting for left and right channels?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• jvc ja.jpeg
    jvc ja.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 97
Me neither. Do you spot any differences between the two channels in part values or heatsinking? All I can imagine is that for some reason ventilation may be worse for the left channel and this was a bodge to stop things from overheating. Or if the bias has a negative TC, maybe it's the right channel that's the problematic one.

That's an odd one for sure.

Ah yes was thinking that might be the case, i did not notice any difference between the two sides, so 10mV for both test points it is then, thanks for clearing that up. I left them at 10mA each for the time being, as I found it strange alright. They were quite a bit out, more in the 30mV range, but the DC bias was well out too, might not have been serviced since the 70s !
I stripped it apart, inspected solder joints under magnification, cleaned all switches with super 10, set dc offset and bias, replaced 4 x 1uf audio coupling caps as ESR was about 4.4ohms a bit high all the rest measure really good. Thanks for your help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.