Just starting to learn o-scope, F5 1k square looks funny

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you ever switch the input levers to "DC"? In your photos they are still on "AC".

Try the following:

Select the vertical attenuator (volts/div) setting that you used when observing those waveforms, i.e. 0.2 v/div. Then, set both of the input-coupling levers (just under the v/div controls) to "GND" and adjust the vertical position controls so that the traces are centered, vertically, i,e, they are right on the middle horizontal graticule line. Then flip both of the input-coupling levers to "DC". The traces should stay centered, vertically, on the middle line. But if they're not, adjust the vertical position controls so that the traces are centered, vertically, i,e, they are right on the middle horizontal graticule line. Don't touch the vertical position controls, any more, after that (And you could now check part of the scope's calibration by running through the vertical attenuator settings, at that point, to see if either of the traces moves off of the center horizontal line for different vertical attenuator settings.) Then scope the input signal on each channel and see if the signal is centered around the middle horizontal graticule line or not, i.e. with equal up and down amplitude, above and below the middle line, or, if the signal is actually single-polarity, you'll see that it's all at or above the middle horizontal graticule line, probably with its bottom sitting on the middle horizontal graticule line. Then you can switch to AC coupling and see whether or not the traces are again exactly vertically centered around the middle horizontal graticule line.

Now switch back to "DC" coupling, for both channels.

Try looking at the output signal again, where the bottom is compressed exactly like in your last photo in post 10.

Then change the V/DIV from 0.2 to 0.5. Is it still compressed? If so, swap scope channels. Still compressed? If it was NOT compressed after switching from 0.2 to 0.5 V/DIV, try it with 0.2 V/DIV on the other scope channel. Still compressed?

Report the results back here.

Cleaning the scope will not effect the amps performance. :rolleyes:

You need to look at the waveform on each rail when it clips in ADDITION to the already mentioned test of seeing if the voltage dips more on one rail than the other. (so you put the input on AC and move the vertical amp to progressively lower voltages to see the waveform - you are looking to see that the ripple between the two rails is about the same amplitude and shape - you can use both channels at the same time, invert one channel and they should look pretty much identical)

Also, does this asymmetrical clipping occur the same on each channel??
Same rail?

If so, perhaps you want to look at the bias point for the mosfets and the input jfets on the rail side that is clipping and compare the current to the other rail (do this for each channel), post the results. This should be tested with NO signal in.

If the bias point is significantly different enough, then that could cause asymmetrical clipping.

_-_-bear

Last edited:
OK so let me give an update of where I am at. Every time I touch this amp I swear something else goes wrong or changes. The reason the amp was clipping asymmetrically was something cause all my resistors on one side of the PS to short. I think it may have been due to a bad Chinese rectifier but I am not quite sure. After dealing with that I decided to switch to a CLC power supply setup. I swapped the resistors with solen perfect lay 14g 2mH (DCR .31) coils and I replaced the rectifiers with some others I bought at a surplus store. I got the amp to work but I swear that every time I go to measure the rails I get a different V reading. One day the amp is working fine and I have the bias set right. The next day my rails are down 2 v and the bias is low. I am using cheap meters so I am not sure if it is the meters or something else.

I think I need to restate my current problem and work from there. So starting from the beginning Here is where things stand as of today. I am going to make sure the PS is working OK before I go on.

Unloaded my PS gives me ~ +/- 24.8V. Does this sound correct? It sounds correct to me.

When I connect one of the amp boards (not sure where bias is set anymore) the voltage drops to 21.8V. Is this what is supposed to happen?
If I disconnect that amp board and connect the other one the voltage dropps to 23.6V.

Are the rails supposed to drop at all like that? Should I back off all the pots and test the same thing again?

I think I may have finally figgured out the source of my problems + why every time I measured something it was different then the last time. I had both cl60s connected to the same primary. Because of that only one was ever getting full power. I have to say I amazed how good this amp sound even when it is only half working:)

Thanks so much for all the help, I will post more pics when I get a chance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.