Just playing with my Charlize

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks, I got my Charlize this morning, so I look forwrad to hearing it. I have a question about power to the board. I looked at the board on the DIYParadise site that has the connections marked. Seems straight forward enough. But does the pin shown as 12vDC GND, mean that you hook the neg. from the battery to this one , and the positive to the other one?
This may seem to simple for most of you ,but I dont want to blow it up brfore I even listen to it.

Thanks for your help
Nigel

Nigel,
The pair of wire that is soldered to the board is meant for the power supply. If you look at the web-page at DIY Paradise, toward the top (closest to the Tripath i.c) is where you connect the positive supply from your battery to and the point that marked 'Gnd' (black coloured wire) is for the negative connection to the battery.

Thanks vt. I thought it would be straight froward, but I just wanted to check.
For all of you that are useing Charlize with a battery, I was thinking of adding 2x 4700 16v caps with a cap across them to aid in transcient supply. Also I thought that it may filter any noise from the battery..

Nigel

barfind said:
Hi folks, I got my Charlize this morning, so I look forwrad to hearing it. I have a question about power to the board. I looked at the board on the DIYParadise site that has the connections marked. Seems straight forward enough. But does the pin shown as 12vDC GND, mean that you hook the neg. from the battery to this one , and the positive to the other one?
This may seem to simple for most of you ,but I dont want to blow it up brfore I even listen to it.

Thanks for your help
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

The Red line from the Red Box containing 12VDC GND points directly to the soldering pad that the + Positive connection should go to. The other pad directly below it is the - GND Ground connection. You are wise to check first. Good luck with your Charlize.

Dave

Hi all,

as planned, I went to a friend house yesterday and we tried to power his big Magna Planar wit my Woodini (Charlize). I knew that this was a big challenge, but deep inside I had some hope that Chalize could perform very well. Sadly, these beast are to hard to drive for Charlize :( . Not that he was not able to play some music at a descent level. NO ! But the sound was just not what Charlize can deliver. The bass was particularly affected. The low notes were just hard to hear & from Charlize this is not usual. Charlize bass is very, very, maybe a little bit to much generous. So, having trouble to hear it was a real good sign that Charlize can't handle these speakers. The mid and HF were not to bad, but not great as they usually are. The piano was not natural as I'm use too. So, for those with big Magna Planar speakers, you have to choose a more powerful class D amp.

Before I end this message, I just want to mention that my speakers are 85 dB into 4 ohm and Charlize drive them very well in my little listening room (low to medium level).

Regards,

Hi ,

I’m playing since few day’s with me first charlize and it’s quite only pleasure. Quite because of the plop on start.

I have planned to build a six-channel amp, so I have again some questions.

Does the rotary pots work reduce enough the plop to connect an active filtered tweeter?

If I use a single power supply for me three charlize with only one “start pot” for all, can I use the sleep function for cutting one or several amp without plots?

Where to find a smps power supply, in Europe, able to feed the amp and fit in 2u case?

Thanks a lot

;)

Dede, if you use three Charlize for your six channel amp and use a four pole three position rotary switch, you can turn on the power gradually to each amp and reduce the turn on noise to an acceptable minimum.

If you use two four pole three position rotary switches you couild switch the outputs to the speakers as well and have a completely silent power up!

If you are using an active filter, it will almost certainly need to be powered up before the power amps or have a 'delay' circuit on the output as described here . ;)

For six channels (ie three Charlize or similar), you could use three of the SMPS that I sell. See here for more details. :att'n:

Thanks nuuk,

But if i use 3 smps can i could use on switch by amp?

Can i use simple three position swithch even if it is not a rotary switch?

I can't find the sice of your smps, because i 'll like them into a 2U case, possible?

Should i use a capacitor after the psu?

Terribly sorry for the hudge number of question, but i'am a beginner and i'am scared to doing mistakes...

Thx

lawbadman said:
Hey kanaddict,
just out of curiosity what spreakers do you have?

Hi,

my speakers are DIY 3-way. You can see them here :

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=20876017108&page=1&sort_order=0&favorites=true

Click on the little images to get a bigger one.

These speakers are my version of Dennis Murphy MBOW1 3-way.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1_3-WAY.html

It was my 4th DIY speakers project and I was confortable with the modifications I made to his basic desing. They are great speakers for the money. A good friend told me that he prefer them to some speakers he tried that worth from $5000 to $7000 CND. I knew that......but I'm not very partial ;)

Regards,

The 'soft-start' circuit will eliminate the turn-on pop entirely.

All you need to do it to connect a 240 - 280 ohms, 1/2W resistor across the positive supply line. Turn the Charlize on via the resistor and then bypass the resistor after that. I did mine using a selector switch.

Off (position 1) -> supply via resistor (position 2) -> bypass resistor and supply direct to Chalize (position 3).

Hope this helps. :)

charlize selector switch and volume pot

i'm considering the charlize amp as my first diy audio project and could use some advice. please provide recommendations for a 3 position selector switch (off/soft-start/on) and a volume pot for the charlize amp. also u.s. sources would be great. i've really enjoyed ready about these little amps and their potential. thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.