Just joined

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have browsed through here several times over the past years and it always seemed like an approachable and supportive group. Not pausing long enough, since I haven't built much of anything. I do browse about on audio/music sites a bit.
Well now it is time to DO something and here's why.
My younger son is very involved in building a robot with his high school. It's first competition in the FIRST Robotics is this coming weekend. He did most (if not all) of the wiring and electronics and helped out with other areas. He then asked me what we could build together as his next project. As an additional note, he may be interested in electrical engineering, as his college major. I immediately thought of something audio.
Even a kit would work as an entry level for us both. (remembering kits from days of yore)
So I would like to ask your counsel and advice on where to start, amplifier, headphone amp, tuner? Again I ask as a complete novice to what it takes to build.
Any thoughts you might have will be very welcome!
Thank you.

Hi,
I would say start from the amplifier
and why headphones ? Only if you have to monitor the recordings
Robotics may be a learning tool, because of the 'tree diagrams' that
put the logic first: every step must be checked to go to the next step.

A popular and reliable amplifier is the JLH, John Linsley Hood, which works in class A and has a regulated supply.

With class A amplifiers you'll have to face the heat generated by the power devices, which is higher than class AB or B amplifiers.

With the speakers you'll have to face the problems that arise when converting from electric to mechanical energy, with all the losses.
And the resonance of the materials, and what happens when dealing with multiple sources so the reason for crossovers and specialized speakers.

So the audio field is not only electronics, but implies a knowledge or skill in
many matters, such mechanics, physics, theory about scientifical observation, and many more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.