Jupiter beeswax capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just to prepare everyone, I don't expect this thread to deviate off into capacitor debates.

Building crossovers for a new set of Ariels, with the ScanSpeak 9500 tweeter. I want to try a Jupiter beeswax cap for the series cap for the tweeter, but have had some difficulty finding any in stock. Ultimately, I know I need a 5 uF cap minimum.

My first thought was to use a 4.7 uF 600 HT cap, and bypass it with 0.22 uF and/or 0.10 uF FT-3 teflon caps to taste. Can't locate any of these in the US.

Next option was to use the 5.0 uF 100V flat stack HT, potentially no bypassing needed. About the same cost based on Jupiter's site. I guess the big question would be what is the difference between them?

Any experience out there?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Zigzag,
I assume you have contacted Jupiter Condenser, seems like the flat stack 5uF would be the best choice. Perhaps they can tell you who has stock or can make some to be delivered to the distributor of your choice?

http://jupitercondenser.com/Audio-Series-Capacitors/audio-series-Given the high cost of these caps I'd probably use a couple of smaller Jupiter caps to make up the value if I didn't use a flat stack type so that there was no question about whatever it was I was hearing.

I have friends who have used them in tube amp designs and to the best of my recollection I haven't heard one in an XO..

Maybe I should have invited capacitor debate, that would increase the participation:rolleyes:

Managed to find some older style Jupiters (before cryo, and before the leak-proof case) at 5 uF from Percy Audio. Those are not popular inside of a warm amplifier, but do just peachy in a xover. Decent price as a result ~1/3 the cost of the new style. Got them matched very tightly, too.

Nice sound, I would say. Pretty similar to my existing xover using Hovlands. Not earth shatteringly different, possibly a little more cymbal decay.

I'll keep these without bypasses for now; give my ears a few months to grow accustomed to the sound before experimenting with teflon bypass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.