• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Johnson Tube Socket #210 Mounting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The 210 socket is surface mounted, so connections will be exposed and you'll need holes to wire to circuit below chassis. It was really made to be mounted to a insulating wood or composite panel. Make sure there is clearance from screw heads to chassis surface - if in doubt add an insulator between socket and chassis. And always have a plastic washer between hardware and ceramic.

Or use a socket INTENDED for chassis mounting.

On your top plate, put in a very large hole for each socket (maybe 1.5-2"). Around each hole, place four holes for #6 or #6 screws. Buy yourself some #6 or #8 standoffs that are at least as long as the socket is tall.

Make a plate to mount to the bottom side of those standoffs, and mount the socket to that.

It can be much easier to make all this work if you use standoffs that aren't conductive, as sometimes the socket terminals can get a little close to the standoffs.

210 sockets

I mount the Johnson 210 socket under the chassis and use Nylon spacers; I drill a circle of holes to allow air movement. I use them with 811A's have to be careful putting the tube into the socket, not o loosen the tube base the sockets can be very stiff.

Attachments

• Johnson 210.jpg
    Johnson 210.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 68
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.