John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
1audio said:

I had read that biasing a non-linear cap (electrolytic) and applying the audio across the biased cap would produce less distortion. Is that case limited to electrolytic caps? I would guess from your description that biasing the polar material and applying a small AC potential would produce less reaction from the dielectric, but the reality may not match my limited understanding. I may test this later myself.

Electrolytics are asymmetrical devices, it's a completely different story.

Never thought about biasing DA materials, I think you may have something here, I think it's theoretically possible this way to reduce the DA nonlinear distortions. Unfortunately, in practice, high DA is almost always correlated with a DC conduction mechanism, with a much higher contribution than the standard Fowler-Nordheim tunneling, traps hopping, etc... mechanisms. Otherwise said, you reduce the DA impact but you got higher DF.

1audio said:

I had read that biasing a non-linear cap (electrolytic) and applying the audio across the biased cap would produce less distortion. Is that case limited to electrolytic caps? I would guess from your description that biasing the polar material and applying a small AC potential would produce less reaction from the dielectric, but the reality may not match my limited understanding. I may test this later myself.

Electrolytics are oxide dielectric caps. Oxide is semiconductor, so keeping it from zero crossing you reduce distortions. However, the best bias is bias it out replacing by some non-polar cap, like metal film.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
syn08 said:

Electrolytics are asymmetrical devices, it's a completely different story.

Never thought about biasing DA materials, I think you may have something here, I think it's theoretically possible this way to reduce the DA nonlinear distortions. Unfortunately, in practice, high DA is almost always correlated with a DC conduction mechanism, with a much higher contribution than the standard Fowler-Nordheim tunneling, traps hopping, etc... mechanisms. Otherwise said, you reduce the DA impact but you got higher DF.

DF = dissipation factor? Your suggesting that the DF increases with bias for some materials? Could that effect be used as an RF attenuator?

And to make sure I'm not totally confused about DA materials. Are those specific materials or is the mechanism present to some degree in all dielectrics (non-conductors)?

syn08 said:

I had a Keithley 616, with the low noise triax cable, in a clean room controlled environment, I was down to well under 1fA while measuring MOS devices by the quasistatic method.

I forgot, speaking of funny schematics, the Keithley service manual for their saphire insulated 10-17A electrometer shows back to back 1N914 diodes across the input. A joke for insiders only.

syn08 said:

Yes. According to the definition of "linear distortion" a filter is distorting the signal. The notion is obviously important in telecom and other areas where the phase relationships are critical, but to call this a "distortion" in audio is certainly not appropriate.

BTW, I haven't ever seen a shred of evidence about DA inducing linear distortions. To me, this is one of John's pet peeves.

I don't know about DA inducing linear distortions but perhaps the most commonly talked about linear distortion in audio is caused by speaker enclosure diffraction.

According to Earl Geddes, it's effect is pschoacoustically opposite to non-linear distortion in that it's masked at low SPLs and becomes more apparent at high SPLs.*

This is why Geddes insists his speaker enclosures (including waveguides) have roundovers on all corners and edges due to the corresponding physical size of enclosures and higher frequency wave lengths. The intent is to reduce diffraction products.

The differences in signal delay caused by speaker diffraction can be less than a millisecond.

Are there linear distortions produced by electronic audio gear which might sit in less than ms time frames?

* http://www.gedlee.com/downloads/AES06Gedlee_ll.pdf

Hunches don't carry much weight around here but I think, due to linear distortions, many listeners don't listen to their systems at anywhere realistic levels because the sound just gradually becomes more unpleasant with SPLs higher than say, 80 - 85 dB. And, they unconciously limit their listening levels accordingly. (Who knows how much hearing damage has been prevented by this limiting mechanism?) :D

I expect this is mostly due to diffraction products but once these anomalies are reduced, then weaknesses in other parts of the audio chain may become more apparent.

Well, SYN08, here is a reference:
'REAL-WORLD AUDIO WAVEFORM ASYMMETRIES AND THE EFFECT ON THE AUDIO CHAIN'
Presented at 55 conv. AES oct,1976 Preprint No 1193
by W.L. Hetrich , National Public Radio, Washington, D.C.

Example:
"Figure 7. Female voice saying the word 'intangible' Asymmetry is 14 dB more positive than negative.

Figure 8. Same Female voice in a different mood using a different inflection saying the word 'seven' Asymmetry is 14 dB more negative than positive."

FrankWW said:

I don't know about DA inducing linear distortions but perhaps the most commonly talked about linear distortion in audio is caused by speaker enclosure diffraction.

According to Earl Geddes, it's effect is pschoacoustically opposite to non-linear distortion in that it's masked at low SPLs and becomes more apparent at high SPLs.*

Mechanical deformations are non-linear, so resonances of cabinets and of an air in them cause non-linear distortions.

john curl said:

Example:
"Figure 7. Female voice saying the word 'intangible' Asymmetry is 14 dB more positive than negative.

Figure 8. Same Female voice in a different mood using a different inflection saying the word 'seven' Asymmetry is 14 dB more negative than positive."

Hmmm... In one mood she says exhaling, in another mood she says inhaling? :xeye:

I had read that biasing a non-linear cap (electrolytic) and applying the audio across the biased cap would produce less distortion. Is that case limited to electrolytic caps?

Cyril Bateman's measurements on electrolytic caps show exactly the opposite. There seems to be a minimum at a very small voltage (1 Volt or so) but generally biasing a polar electrolytic INCREASES distortion substantially.

Hi FrankWW

---I don't know about DA inducing linear distortions but perhaps the most commonly talked about linear distortion in audio is caused by speaker enclosure diffraction.

This is why Geddes insists his speaker enclosures (including waveguides) have roundovers on all corners and edges due to the corresponding physical size of enclosures and higher frequency wave lengths. The intent is to reduce diffraction products.

The differences in signal delay caused by speaker diffraction can be less than a millisecond.---

I made some experiences with large baffles (2' wide) and various corners intended to avoid diffraction : I ended with something similar to Olson's L shape which I found giving better overall stereo effect and localisation of instruments.

I recently had emails with Keith Howard about his article :
http://stereophile.com/reference/704cutting/
He encourages me to make attempts to reduce baffles diffraction more popular. I am glad to see people more and more considering the importance ot the very neglected effects of secondary emissions of baffles within less than 1 mS.

MRupp said:
But then again this manufacturer states that biasing a (non-polar) capacitor reduces distortion in his speaker crossover cap, read the section CPC technology: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/omega/omega.html

Hi Martin,

Isn't that a different kettle of fish? Two caps connected back to back.
Back to Bateman. According to his measurements, the 2nd harmonic from a C0G 10nF 50V ceramic cap increases from -128.5 to -122dB when subjected to a DC bias (4...18V).

Wavebourne, neither sound diffraction nor reflection is a mechanical deformation. Nor are they 'resonance of a cabinet and air contained in it'.

Sound diffraction and reflection are analogous to light and its lenses, prisms and mirrors.

Mechanical deformation is a separate problem.

Mechanical deformations are non-linear, so resonances of cabinets and of an air in them cause non-linear distortions.

john curl said:
Well, SYN08, here is a reference:
'REAL-WORLD AUDIO WAVEFORM ASYMMETRIES AND THE EFFECT ON THE AUDIO CHAIN'
Presented at 55 conv. AES oct,1976 Preprint No 1193
by W.L. Hetrich , National Public Radio, Washington, D.C.

I sifted through the article and unfortunately I failed miserably in understanding how is this related to DA, "linear distortions", etc...

The conclusion seems to be: audio broadcasting equipment need more headroom. To which I may fully agree, but it's irrelevant in the context of the current DA discussion.

syn08 said:

I sifted through the article and unfortunately I failed miserably in understanding how is this related to DA, "linear distortions", etc...

The conclusion seems to be: audio broadcasting equipment need more headroom. To which I may fully agree, but it's irrelevant in the context of the current DA discussion.

I think if you tie this back to some of the residual waveforms in the cap nulling tests that John and Walt did you will see the connection. I found that tenuous at best. There was some argument about preseving/changing waveform assymetry.

The fact that filtering can dramaticly change signal crest factor is well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.