John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get this when I measure the whole audio chain, directly at speaker terminals, at -30dBVrms:

(comment - the soundcard influence is not negligible)

Attachments

• all.png
    all.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 393
Nelson Pass said:

Can you quote the language of of the proposal?

I am having myself (indirect) trouble with those EU ******* regarding the energy savings regulations (obviously not in the audio field). What they are looking for is essentially something like 1-2W power in standby for any home (or even office) appliance.

Almost everybody in the electronics industry is now asking for exceptions. The printer manufacturers are rightfully claiming that the network card only (that needs to to constantly send/receive messages, otherwise no computer would know there's a printer in standby waiting for documents to print) is taking more than a couple of watts (and that's because of the physical layer requirements in the Ethernet standard). The TV guys are complaining about the regulations killing any further progress (they can't integrate a digital tuner with the TV set), etc...

And the Canadian Government is now looking to implement the same regulations :(

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
It is obvious to you, PMA, but there are others here, who are relatively clueless. They are the ones who need reminding, occasionally.
Look, I know that it's easier to get lower distortion from a properly designed class A circuit. I'm sure others that you have not mentioned also do. But, I think we should be working to attain great performance at lower dissipation levels. That is the basis of my questioning, to possibly gain insight into some promising methods to do this. After all, most amplifier designs are operating in class "A" up until they hit the output stage. That is the area where work needs to be done. Maybe we need a new device, I don't know. Operation in some mode other than class A should be something we work towards.

My main problem with you John is the attitude you have to "your fellow designers". The will include anyone who doesn't agree 110% with your ideas, or has gained enough respect that you dare not address them in that manner. You seem to be locked into one design premise and unable to grow or consider anything beyond that.

If you stop insulting people, your words will be more carefully considered by the poor masses that surround you. Please, for your own good, learn how to address other people.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Syn08,
And the Canadian Government is now looking to implement the same regulations
That and the entire "lead thing" on top of that.

The real issue would be the ability of consumer products to remain in service, and the serviceability of these products. Diverting lead and other metals from the scrap pile seems to have been considered in isolation. I'll admit that mandating a minimum quality for audio equipment would be extremely unpopular, but that is where we really need to go. Lead free electronic products seem to be very unreliable in the long term.

Never forget that we allowed the same mechanism to go to extreme lengths to make the Avro Arrow disappear along with the useful technology.

-Chris

Edit: Hi Jan,
Yes. That was my final word on that topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.