John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
h_a said:

I'm really wondering why this legend still survives :confused:

I'm not aware of any popular ClassA amp that has constant current draw.*

Every push-pull ClassA amp, even single-ended designs as the Alephs do not follow this 'rule'.

Have fun, Hannes

*sorry I do not have any clue about tube gear, so maybe I'm missing a lot of these.

EDIT: maybe one of Nelsons early Zens draws constant current.

Here is what I think is the reason for the confusion. It is perhaps a matter of semantics.

The proper thing to say is that the POWER draw of an amplifier when in class A is constant. This is very different than saying that the current draw from any given rail is constant.

The other important good thing about class A that is linked to this is that the current draw from the rail is sinusoidal if the signal is sinusoidal. This means that there is little or no opportunity for coupling nasty half wave rail currents, with a huge spray of harminics, into other circuitry or into the grounds.

If you believe that EMI is an important concern for sound quality, class A is a great way to get rid of a huge local source of it.

Cheers,
Bob

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Of course we do have examples of truly constant draw - Single-ended
class A biased by a constant current source. My F2 and the original Zen
have one rail, are capacitively coupled to the output, and have a
constant current draw.

Push-pull balanced Class A designs can also make that claim.

:cool:

john curl said:
For the record, I have never built a Class A amp with a rated output greater than 25W. Yet, I make amps that are rated up to 800W into 4 ohms. NO, it is not class A, more like Class AB1 and user switchable to run Class AB2.
Now, WHY do I run the quiescent current were I run it?

Before I get a run of other people's responses, let me give mine.

I run in Class A as much as possible, and GENTLY move into Class AB or B as the power increases. The limit of Class A operation is set by the amount of heatsink that the amp has designed into it (I don't design the heatsink).
I do this, because most of the time, while listening, I know that the user will be in the Class A region, and I have found it to have less 7th harmonic than an equivalent Class AB2 setting, at the same output power. I know this because I have a SWITCH on the back of the amp that anyone can use. Want to save power? Flip the switch! Want lowest higher order distortion, flip the switch back to normal mode. I can measure the difference below 110 dB. Is it worth it? I think so, but it is YOUR choice. The THD remains essentially the same, as just a number.
Now, think that over, fellow engineers, and IF that is not good enough for you, Class D is a possible and practical alternative.

Hi John,

I agree completely. The crest factor of well-recorded music is quite high, so indeed a great percentage of the listening experience will be in the class A range you describe.

Although high-biased class AB carries with it some risk of gm-doubling distortion, that distortion will tend to come into play at higher power levels, at signal current transitions that are further removed from the zero crossoing. Conventionally "optimally-biased" class AB amplifiers have the transition ocuuring right in the middle at low signal levels.

A lot of this also underlines the importance of not quoting just lumped THD measurements, but rather paying attention to the spectrum of those distortion products AND at what power levels they make their appearance.

Because many THD analyzers cut off at about 80 kHz (mine cuts off at 200 kHz), and because HF distortion tends to be more of a problem, I tend to prefer the 19+20 kHz CCIF test with spectrum analysis, so that higher-order distortion products plainly come through.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:
Although high-biased class AB carries with it some risk of gm-doubling distortion, that distortion will tend to come into play at higher power levels, at signal current transitions that are further removed from the zero crossoing. Conventionally "optimally-biased" class AB amplifiers have the transition ocuuring right in the middle at low signal levels.
Cheers,
Bob [/B]

Hi Bob,

Right! That's why I, and probably you too, prefer vertical MOSFETs, as the gm doubling effect is far less pronounced.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Grey,
All the arguments against it are based on the heat dissipation, one way or another. If it weren't for the heat, everybody would design class A amps, all the time.
Okay, that's your viewpoint. It works for you just fine, but there will come a time when energy costs will rise to a point where most of the population will not accept the costs of running these amplifiers. There also must be some acceptance for the impact to the environment. Right now, you seem to be in the mind set where "no one single snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible". :) I like that saying, because it is so true. Using too many class A designs will force all amplifiers except class D to be outlawed at some point in time. Just kidding.

The heat is welcome in the winter. Get double-use out of your stereo.
Except in the summer when it is a clear liability. Even up here in Canada, believe it or not.

Now, instead of taking the easy way out for a low distortion design, why not accept a challenge and work on more energy efficient amplifiers?

Disclaimers:
1. No, I'm not one of those eco-people. I wear shoes, not sandals.

2. I'm not suggesting everyone go for class "D" designs. Just more reasonable designs as far as dissipation per watt is concerned.

3. I accept that heat is the enemy to all electronic circuits (and most solids for that matter - or anti-matter!).

4. I like big cars or trucks. They aren't that bad on gas and they last longer than pip-squeak cars. There is an energy cost to create and destroy vehicles too. I also really like the idea of an external crumple zone :devilr:

-Chris

Originally posted by Anatech
Now, instead of taking the easy way out for a low distortion design, why not accept a challenge and work on more energy efficient amplifiers?
That's exactly what one time member Greg Ball did very successfully with the SKA amplifier - by significantly improving the PSRR of the amp & thereby reducing the effects of the Class AB output stage that by it's operation generates harmonics in the power supply current.

Edmond Stuart said:

Hi Bob,

Right! That's why I, and probably you too, prefer vertical MOSFETs, as the gm doubling effect is far less pronounced.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Hi Edmond,

Exactly. Indeed, I'm not sure it is possible to get gm doubling with MOSFETs (assuming that gm doubling is defined to be increased gm in the crossover region, as with BJTs).

Cheers,
Bob

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Edmond Stuart said:

Glen,

Indeed, that was a pretty lame response, sorry. But did I have a choice? Not really, as the only way to make a serious contribution to your project, means that I have to redraw and simulate your design. Regrettably, I don't have all the time of the world, so I can't do that.

Cheers,
Edmond.

PS: In your latest version, the tube has gone. Why?

What? I did not ask for a "serious contribution to my project".
Anyway I give up, this is a waste of time.

anatech said:

There also must be some acceptance for the impact to the environment. Right now, you seem to be in the mind set where "no one single snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible".

Untrue. Not that I've made a big deal out of it, but I'm heading towards a solar powered system in the long run. The most obvious line of sight for solar cell arrays in my yard is blocked by trees, but at the rate trees are dying around here (I bought a 2 3/4 acre wooded lot in 1995--I estimate that I've lost roughly a third of my trees since then due to the enduring drought [Feb rain fall normal = 3.93"...so far this month = 0.55"]), that line of sight will be clear within the next three to five years. Don't preach to me of environmental concerns. I am far more aware of them than my neo-conservative neighbors. Possibly moreso than you.
Did I mention that my listening room is in the basement and that even in the summer it doesn't go above 72 degrees or so? I don't bother air conditioning my basement. So, no, I'm not working uphill against the air conditioning. In fact, there are times in the summer when it's a little on the cool side in my listening room.
Good try, though.

Grey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joshua_G,
I'd love to see your design.
First, try and work on thinking up your own retorts. You copy John and others often enough so that I am unsure if you have your own personality. Besides, I wasn't even attacking anyone, so what's your problem with life?

I'm working on a "power diamond buffer" type output stage, CFP. It's showing promise. The concept I gave you tells you almost everything you need to know, it's stone simple. I have prototypes out in the field from 2004. No failures, even with the worst case components in one channel of each.

What are you designing? Have you built anything in an amplifier from your own imagination yet?

Hi Grey,
Most of what I posted was light hearted tongue-in-cheek.
Not that I've made a big deal out of it, but I'm heading towards a solar powered system in the long run.
Not with powerful class A designs you aren't!
I bought a 2 3/4 acre wooded lot in 1995
Good show. I hope you realize some capital gains there. You need more tree though. Mind you, it might make a nice putting center after those trees die out. Only a few more years to go.
Don't preach to me of environmental concerns. I am far more aware of them than my neo-conservative neighbors. Possibly moreso than you.
I wasn't preaching, but those concepts are important on a global scale. But if you are aware of those concepts and by extension, aware of the farther reaching impacts of your work, does that make you evil? An evil scientist complete with Joshua_G as "mini me"? Sorry. bad joke, but it struck me as being funny.
To be honest, you may be far more ecologically aware than I am. I don't know and I have no way of knowing. This might bother me if I cared, but I don't. I just threw the idea out there. It is but one example of the many ways we waste energy.
Did I mention that my listening room is in the basement
No, you didn't. I had no idea as a matter of fact. I will probably have forgotten that fact by tomorrow, but I do have one question for you. Grey, do you have flood insurance?
I don't bother air conditioning my basement. So, no, I'm not working uphill against the air conditioning.
Whew, that's a load off my mind. I was worried about your own energy bills in the summer.
However, my point was that most all the other people who have bought your designs, or any other class A products, are fighting their air conditioning. The human animal being what it is, they just want what they want and to heck with everyone else. Compared with the amount of energy you use, your numbers aren't even visible in the total.
Good try, though.
But .... but .... but.
Ah heck, I wasn't trying anything. I was just pointing out the fact that resources are being wasted, while we still have them. Do you know that some power plants burn coal or natural gas to generate electricity? Therefore, class A designs are responsible for the burning of some fossil fuels.

Grey, I was having a little bit of fun with you. I didn't intend any ill will at all. It was just an opportunity to poke fun with an extreme example of amplifier dissipation for very few average audio watts out.

Guilty conscience? Kidding! ;)

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.