John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Dunlap said:

I'm referring to the post were Peter Daniel said:

Yes, Placette is very well regarded and I've been using it for a while myself. However, after initial excitement, I was starting noticing defficiencies, mainly the coloration.

And:

But in the end, TVC is not perfect either. I have a chance listening without any attenuator now as the amp has just the right gain for normal levels and it's very revealing experience.

So what exactly is your point?? You seem to be talking down TVCs while relying on a post that says they are the best volume control he's heard. Nothing is perfect, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
In many cases, the SIZE or length of the resistor is not very important. Usually, you need a certain distance between point A and point B for a feedback resistor. All else being equal, a larger resistor probably is better.

I’m not sure how you came up with this theory, and it seems a bit vague.
My answer would be NO, but please explain the theory maybe you are right.

Cheers
Stinius

scott wurcer said:

I'm staying out of the resistor discussion. When a tech at Mass. General says upgrading a doppler ultrasound with naked Vishay resistors gets the surgeons to claim a "huge" improvement in circulatory diagnostics maybe I might listen. :whazzat:

Scott,

I just spent an AM in the factory & lab of a fellow who has multiple patents on transducers used for ultrasound imaging of arteries and the like... the upshot of our discussion on his work went something along the lines that he gets/got the superior performance he gets because he shaves every fraction of a dB of performance that he can in every area that is possible. It adds up. Cascading tolerances and all that rot?

To me that is akin to all of these discussions, resistors included.

Perhaps 10 seconds into the future when these differences or non-differences (in resistors or what have you) are parameterized and can be measured, as some other formerly unmeasurables are now, this sort of question will be looked back upon as somewhat silly.

Of course some think that this will never happen because "it doesn't exist." Which is fine too...

_-_-bear

pooge said:

So what exactly is your point?? You seem to be talking down TVCs while relying on a post that says they are the best volume control he's heard. Nothing is perfect, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm not talking down, just trying to point out that there are drawbacks (or compromises) to every thing you must add to the signal path. I feel there are less expensive and proven solutions for everything that TVCs are claimed to do so well.

With cost no limiting factor these days, why isn't John and everyone else using TVCs?

john curl said:
0 to 80V in 10uS. Then -80V in the next 10us. It is SUPER RESISTOR! Unfazed by extreme voltage swings, able to stay at EXACTLY the same resistor value, no matter what! No excess noise!

John please tell me where in the Blowtorch there are 160V p-p signals. How does excess noise figure on the 10us time scale, it's not particularly temperature dependent either? We have had thin film resistors for 30yrs with almost unmeasurable excess noise, this is just blowing smoke.

bear said:

Scott,

I just spent an AM in the factory & lab of a fellow who has multiple patents on transducers used for ultrasound imaging of arteries and the like... the upshot of our discussion on his work went something along the lines that he gets/got the superior performance he gets because he shaves every fraction of a dB of performance that he can in every area that is possible. It adds up. Cascading tolerances and all that rot?

_-_-bear

That's the point bear he measures it. I've known dozens of these guys outside of audio, good solid engineering often self taught. It's ONLY in audio that this stuff turns up.

Status
Not open for further replies.