John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
1audio said:

Biasing the dielectric of a cable is no different from biasing the dielectric of a capacitor.

There is no need to present data proving the functionality for a patent if the examiner accepts what you submit, and good reason for providing only the information necessary to get a patent. Background data is for the learned journals (unless you want to fund your lawyers next European vacation).

Its simple enough to try the biasing trick. Perhaps you should before you dismiss it. If it doesn't work for you that's fine. Most who have tried it seem to find it very beneficial. I have not made any money on either the patent or the "discovery". I would not recommend patenting anything if you are expecting to ever defend it.

Connected:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_resistance

The smart guys always arrange their patents so that they work with respects to the patent being functional enough to pass...but components (or considerations) that make the item/device/effect -perfect- (or even functional).....those are left completely out. Trade secrets, they are. Yes. You figure out a way to block the technology off..and then keep the secret of functionality to yourself. That's the ideal, but sometimes it does not work that way.

For example, sometimes one never patents at all, in order to not expose the 'trade secret' to anyone, ie, Asia. That can backfire. A while back in time I figured out the manufacturing 'trick' for a given 'secret' manufacturing process for a product that is used to the multi-$B level in the world today. However, they are safe, I have no desire to intrude on their market or share the info. (about $100M to tool up for their market, never mind penetration) This sort of thing happens all the time. I'm saying other people do this all the time, I'm not claiming ego, here.

I'm sure you know these sort of things, I'm just expanding on it a bit for the casual reader.

PMA said:

No, the answer is simple. Resolution bandwidth (RBW) is 0.37Hz, that's all. 48kHz sampling and 128K FFT memory.

Theoretical background is:

SNR = 6.02N + 1.76dB + 10log(M/2)

N .. number of bits
M .. number of samples in the FFT record

Try Wurcer/Kester/Bryant's AD seminars.

In theory you can get 194 dB for 24bits and 128K of narrow band noise background. So we are far from 'ideal'. Of course the mains line spectral components are shown in proper values, and it depends on your skills of circuit design, PCB design and instrument interconnection what you get.

Reminds me of when i purposely looked for the WORST video capture card I could find that was decently and reliably built..and then proceeded to modify them to get a bitter result. I read the application book for the IC involved (connexant), threw it away- and re-vamped the card to High end audio ideals. At the time I sold it to people, it ended up being the finest video capture card that money could buy (for PC based video scalers). I gave myself treat of ONE donut for each one I sold. I bought the donut on the way home from the 1 mile (Each way) bike ride to the UPS office.

I had to give up the donuts after a 20lb weight gain.

I was trying to ilustrate to people that power supplies, implementation, component quality, and layout where far more critical than many give it credit for being, especially with RF circuits in a RF/EMI generating box. To literally take a sows ear and turn it into a silk purse, but in a VIDEO kind of way so the differences were obvious to the most untrained eye.

Nobody noticed. Ah well.

Teh lesson was tyo read the IC application book, but to throw away the book after that and concentrate on the interanl design parameters of the IC, with regards to what it REALLY needs to shine.

The applications manual is there to make sure you know how to make the chip function repeatedly or always. It has nothing to do with fidelity of any kind..merely..functionality..and most specifically..to be sure that when things do fail, you can point fingers back at the IC design firm. This sort of thing tends to make modern Digital board designers little more than 'cut and paste' applicational experts. Almost as bad as a board swapping technician who knows little else.

KBK said:

Connected:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_resistance

The smart guys always arrange their patents so that they work with respects to the patent being functional enough to pass...but components (or considerations) that make the item/device/effect -perfect- (or even functional).....those are left completely out....

In another career I was programming computers for engine management system for the auto industry. There was a classic patent from I believe TRW for the invention of fuel injection. The technical illustration in the patent showed the injector miss-aimed to spraying fuel against the wall of the intake rather than towards the intake valve. This simple guise through illustration made copying the fuel injection system by the patent diagrams inoperable. Fuel would not atomize and the engine would not run.

-David

Bonsai said:
BTW, I've sent about 5 or 6 emails to Paul Norton at Linear Systems. He replied to the first in December but nothing after that. I jus t want to buy some FET's.

Are they shut down or bust?

Anyone got some news?

:xeye:

Last time I spoke with Paul, he said they were getting sampled to death and getting over run by hobbyists. They are working hard to land large customers, but saturated with a lot of us little guys. Keep trying and sometimes it's better to call, even though it's expensive from Japan. They are not set-up for small orders and looking for a distributor with reasonable terms.

-David

Linear Systems has been around for awhile, but they are still at loose ends. They certainly don't have the experience with Toshiba equivalent fets as Toshiba does, and they seem to lack quality control. We have monitored them for years. Still, they are working to get things in order, and to improve certain aspects of their processes.
Their products are unfortunately both relatively expensive and variable, so they won't be easily able to get big manufacturers to bite, until virtually all remaining stocks of Toshiba are used up.
It would seem, at the prices they state, that they could satisfy amateur orders easily enough. This is just plain inappropriate. They should just hire someone to do it. They are still in their quality adjustment phase with some of these parts. They should not think in terms of any significant profit from small orders, but just continued cash flow and dispersal of inventory as they continue to refine their processes and QC.
Amateurs should not recklessly complain either, but be reasonably happy with what they get.
This excessive 'whining' when a part or a purchase is not perfect, doesn't make anything any better, either.

Charles Hansen bought 500,000 2sj74 jfets for Toshiba at the last buy. It will take him a few years to use them all up. Parasound, (remember them?) uses these parts by the 1000's. We search the world for them.
I don't make Blowtorches any more. Too expensive to produce and few customers at this time. I have enough jfets to run a limited production for the rest of my life, whatever that is. I don't give them away easily, as they have value.
An order of 1000/mo may seem to be a 'small' order to some, but to Linear Systems it should be substantially better than amateur 10 off purchases.

A bit from Scott Frankland on Feedback.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue1/InterviewScottFrankland.htm

To me, one of the key points to take away is that feedback can and many times does create false detail in the act of attempting to control unwanted transient modulation of the given overall complex system.

One must also remember (or fundamentally understand for the first time) that the speaker load has severe and complex motional mass related issues that the amplifier cannot and will not -EVER- correct. This means that the amplifier and associated loops can easily and always will be 'over excited' by the speaker load which it theoretically and practically will NEVER address or reach. Always chasing an elastic that is moving/stretched in the opposite direction.

Thus you get into the situation where the slewing of the draw on the PS and the mass related motional aspects of the speaker/(passive crossover) combination are blown to pieces, with regards to actually tracing out the true transient envelopes-which again- is the ONLY thing the ear hears and the only thing that is important to it.

Thus, you get a situation where today's big-*** ported and dynamically complex impedance speakers at the megabuck level have great capacity to modulate themselves and their associated amplification so much that the overall response characteristics of the amp/speaker combination are exaggerated.

This tends to show up as people thinking that the given speaker 'reveals' the characteristics of the given amplifier better than others, when in fact -----it is an aspect of bad speaker design, combined with that of a given bad amplifier design being far too reactive in it's dynamic slewing or overall self-dynamic modulation, which works the amplifier as hard as it is possible to do in the transient domain-which is where it counts, like no other aspect.

What you end up with, is people (yes, this most definitely includes amplifier designers) chasing around false detail..having never in their audio lives ever heard 'real' detail or micro-detail in reproduced music. At least some of them do. Some realize what they are doing to themselves and get off that train or bus and retreat to something that may have more 'distortion' but the real detail in the music remains....which is the essential point.

KBK said:
A bit from Scott Frankland on Feedback.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue1/InterviewScottFrankland.htm

To me, one of the key points to take away is that feedback can and many times does create false detail in the act of attempting to control unwanted transient modulation of the given overall complex system.

One must also remember (or fundamentally understand for the first time) that the speaker load has severe and complex motional mass related issues that the amplifier cannot and will not -EVER- correct. This means that the amplifier and associated loops can easily and always will be 'over excited' by the speaker load which it theoretically and practically will NEVER address or reach. Always chasing an elastic that is moving/stretched in the opposite direction.

Thus you get into the situation where the slewing of the draw on the PS and the mass related motional aspects of the speaker/(passive crossover) combination are blown to pieces, with regards to actually tracing out the true transient envelopes-which again- is the ONLY thing the ear hears and the only thing that is important to it.

Thus, you get a situation where today's big-*** ported and dynamically complex impedance speakers at the megabuck level have great capacity to modulate themselves and their associated amplification so much that the overall response characteristics of the amp/speaker combination are exaggerated.

This tends to show up as people thinking that the given speaker 'reveals' the characteristics of the given amplifier better than others, when in fact -----it is an aspect of bad speaker design, combined with that of a given bad amplifier design being far too reactive in it's dynamic slewing or overall self-dynamic modulation, which works the amplifier as hard as it is possible to do in the transient domain-which is where it counts, like no other aspect.

What you end up with, is people (yes, this most definitely includes amplifier designers) chasing around false detail..having never in their audio lives ever heard 'real' detail or micro-detail in reproduced music. At least some of them do. Some realize what they are doing to themselves and get off that train or bus and retreat to something that may have more 'distortion' but the real detail in the music remains....which is the essential point.

If this were not complete gobbledy-gook, one could very easily measure the effect.

There may indeed be audible effects that lab measurements do not catch, and we must always allow for that. But what is being described here is complete amplifier mis-behavior that would be trivial to measure EVEN when real music is being played into real loads.

Cheers,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.