John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The naive belief in an "egalitarian" state, even here on DiyAudio and in this thread is foolish.

You want a "seat" at the proverbial table, and in effect jump in claiming "standing" --- which is fine as far as I am concerned, but in practice those who have established their credential (so to speak) are likely to challenge yours. Albeit in ways that I personally would likely not have resorted to in your case at least.

That's how I see it.

I don't think that some individuals behaved appropriately, although they're probably within the parameters proscribed by the forum rules.

Otoh, if you take a strong postition you had best be prepared to defend it strongly before you do. One had best expect responses that range from the factual to the emotional - I'd find it hard to believe that in your many years of working that you've not run it this all the time?

Let's all try to remember that this thread is about the Blowtorch design, and John Curl's design philosophy and engineering.

_-_-bear

Joshua_G, good to still see you here.
The CES and The Show were OK, but very slow.
The best sound that I heard was from the LAMM exhibit. The digital playback was extraordinary.
Spent a lot of time with the Herron exhibit with vinyl playback. Bought a Chesky record and played it there. It was wonderful, but Herron himself fell so much in love with the record that I sold it to him for what I paid for it, as they had become unavailable.
Now look at this picture:
Herron audio is a direct competitor to me, as we design and sell preamps in the same price range. Keith Herron and I are also colleagues, just like I am with Bear, or Charles Hansen, and also we are all competitors. We respect each other, because we know what it takes to make good sounding equipment. When we talk together, it is usually on a much more subtle level than many here will accept as useful. Keith and I also share a common love of the listening experience. One fellow in the room was SHOCKED that we were playing a record. No ticks, no pops, just a beautiful woman singing her heart out.
I also spoke at some length with Charles Hansen's design engineers at Ayre. Very informative, but not only what they told me is confidential, but the majority of you wouldn't believe it anyway.
Brian Cheney's live vs recorded experience was interesting and informative. Clarinet cannot yet be easily reproduced by speakers. That was obvious. Why I don't know, you would have had to be there, to hear the stark contrast between live and recorded clarinet.

Joshua_G, it is not much more productive to argue with your attackers. You were attacked, behind the scenes many of us (on your side) discussed it on the phone together. They can't change that, so they want to alter how they look online to others and try to make it a product of your imagination. It still would be better to move on, yet realize that people out there are out to 'get you' if you make a mistake, however trivial. It goes with the territory. They do the same thing to me.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
john curl said:
Joshua_G, good to still see you here.
The CES and The Show were OK, but very slow.
The best sound that I heard was from the LAMM exhibit. The digital playback was extraordinary.
Spent a lot of time with the Herron exhibit with vinyl playback. Bought a Chesky record and played it there. It was wonderful, but Herron himself fell so much in love with the record that I sold it to him for what I paid for it, as they had become unavailable.
Now look at this picture:
Herron audio is a direct competitor to me, as we design and sell preamps in the same price range. Keith Herron and I are also colleagues, just like I am with Bear, or Charles Hansen, and also we are all competitors. We respect each other, because we know what it takes to make good sounding equipment. When we talk together, it is usually on a much more subtle level than many here will accept as useful. Keith and I also share a common love of the listening experience. One fellow in the room was SHOCKED that we were playing a record. No ticks, no pops, just a beautiful woman singing her heart out.
I also spoke at some length with Charles Hansen's design engineers at Ayre. Very informative, but not only what they told me is confidential, but the majority of you wouldn't believe it anyway.
Brian Cheney's live vs recorded experience was interesting and informative. Clarinet cannot yet be easily reproduced by speakers. That was obvious. Why I don't know, you would have had to be there, to hear the stark contrast between live and recorded clarinet.

John

A good report.
As you say a clarinet is not easy to record nor reproduce.
How did they place the mic's?

And you can of course tell us some secrets from Ayre, nobody will know.:)

Stinius

bear said:
The naive belief in an "egalitarian" state, even here on DiyAudio and in this thread is foolish.

You want a "seat" at the proverbial table, and in effect jump in claiming "standing" --- which is fine as far as I am concerned, but in practice those who have established their credential (so to speak) are likely to challenge yours. Albeit in ways that I personally would likely not have resorted to in your case at least.

That's how I see it.

I don't think that some individuals behaved appropriately, although they're probably within the parameters proscribed by the forum rules.

Otoh, if you take a strong postition you had best be prepared to defend it strongly before you do. One had best expect responses that range from the factual to the emotional - I'd find it hard to believe that in your many years of working that you've not run it this all the time?

Let's all try to remember that this thread is about the Blowtorch design, and John Curl's design philosophy and engineering.

_-_-bear

john curl said:
Joshua_G, it is not much more productive to argue with your attackers. You were attacked, behind the scenes many of us (on your side) discussed it on the phone together. They can't change that, so they want to alter how they look online to others and try to make it a product of your imagination. It still would be better to move on, yet realize that people out there are out to 'get you' if you make a mistake, however trivial. It goes with the territory. They do the same thing to me.

I agree with most of what you said.

My impression that part of the reason that this thread is not "egalitarian" concerns formal education.

john curl said:

John,

First, thanks for your CES report. I enjoyed it.

As for your comments, you are right – and, yes, I know how you were also attacked here – I read this thread from post #1 …

A funny thing here that the circuit I posted of a "regulator" with an opamp was criticized, it was said the opamp will burn because of the feedback from the output to the negative input (a mistake which was later acknowledged). Go figure.

As for believing new ideas – try me (should it not be confidential) … :)

Joshua_G, I have hired Ph.D's and I have consulted for Ph.D's, but I am not a Ph.D in anything, so if I tried to pass as a Ph.D professor, I would be quickly found out just by the way that I use the language of electronics. You are in a slightly similar position, because you didn't finish engineering school. Who cares? You were up front about your educational background, AND you have a much better grasp of what is important in audio design than most here.

Status
Not open for further replies.