John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
>It has already 2 negative feedbacks:

>parallel by voltage through 1M resistor)

Yes but not much.

>and serial by current (1K in source).

I don't consider degenerative feedback to be negative.
The 1 K makes the circuit Av predictable and because of
the resultant *10 open loop Av makes the 1M have little
affect (AC wise)

>I would suggest one more:
>positive feedback by voltage.
>Disconnect 470 uF capacitor from
>ground and connect it to output.

Thank you Mr. Bootstrap :)

>10 uF is odd, big green LED's dynamic resistance is smaller >anyway.

Better safe than sorry.

Wavebourn@yahoo.com
http://Wavebourn.com

Last edited by Wavebourn on 09-27-2008 at 04:52 AM
IP: 76.239.177.xxx
Today, at 04:48 AM Quote:

hitsware said:

I don't consider degenerative feedback to be negative.
The 1 K makes the circuit Av predictable and because of
the resultant *10 open loop Av makes the 1M have little
affect (AC wise)

Don't matter how your call it: generative, or degenerative, or regenerative, I would prefer to shunt it by cap, but to add one resistor in series with input: feedback and input will go to the same point. An audiophile's sweet dream...

Please, please gentlemen, don't do it here and read my post carefully -- no global feedback, I wrote . I knew it was going to happen and phrased it deliberately, and did not use the word negative (or positive, degenerative, .... , and whatever else).

Please find one of those old threads to discuss the definition. I am sure everyone knows what I was intending to say.

Many thanks for your corporation,
Patrick

John,

> I have never made one of those. It would be interesting.

If you were to make one of these, would you still use your beloved complementary, folded-cascode, JFET frontend as in the Blowtorch, or would you think that it might (not) give enough swing which retaining low enough distortion ?

Or would you "copy" Charles and use MOSFETs in the diff pair instead ?

Regards,
Patrick

Mosfets or jfets, they both work. jfets are better, however, for input stages.
The design put forth, while probably OK sounding is not what I had in mind. My first independent design, from 40 years ago, was more sophisticated than that design. Full complementary balance is a must, for me, and has been since 1967.

Assume at least 100W rms output on 8 ohm, that means at least 40V output across the speakers, or +/-20V balanced.

Unless the load resistor of a "blowtorch" frontend is increased substantially from 1k to say 10k, I was worried that the JFETs would be struggling to deliver the current with the folded cascode.

And if we were to use 10k load resistor for the frontend, we might be compromising bandwidth for the follower ??

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.