John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
john curl said:
PMA, what is this amp of Edmund's? Is it powerful? Is it single N ch? I don't have much to go on at the moment? 800KHz? Sounds like about what I make for Parasound, except that I have a higher open loop bandwidth and a lower amount of feedback.

Hi John.

1. Usually I'm called Edmond, not Edmund. (can't you read?)
2. If you are really interested in my design you might put your questions to the person who designed it.

Cheers,
Edmond.

PS: Talking about communication, read Paul Watzlawick. I'm sure it'll help you to avoid blunders like this.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Edmond Stuart said:
Hi Pavel

>800kHz fT is very, very low.????

I don't think so. The fT of the (BJT) blameless amp is a bout 1MHZ, Bob's EC amp does about 2MHz. Remember, this is the fT of the NFB loop, not OLG.

Cheers,
Edmond.

I agree. That was a bit of a daft and misleading comment. It doesn’t matter if your open loop gain begins rolling off at 200Hz or 20kHz, if you have a reasonable amount of global nfb you aren’t going to have a stable amp with a ring emitter BJT or lateral MOSFET output stage with a unity loop gain much beyond 1MHz (if even 1MHz) and 2MHz with a vertical MOSFET output stage.
But maybe if you’re magically capable of defying the lays of physics. Such people that can abound. Their ears are sensitive to 2fs phase modulation and they have the authority to denounce any engineering effort beyond their capabilities and ingenuity on the basis of open loop bandwidth.
:yawn:

john curl said:
Sorry, your name is not usual to me. I do not make mis-spellings on purpose. However, it shows your level of communication with me, which is not very good, I am afraid.

I was referring to my second point, what else? To avoid any miscommunication, I'll repeat it here:
2. If you are really interested in my design you might put your questions to the person who designed it.

Apart from the fact that Pavel doesn't even know my design, don't you understand how strange it is (to put it mild) to ask somebody else for inquiries regarding an amplifier of mine.

I find Pavel easier to follow, and more objective in his responses to me, so I would rather ask him first, even about your design, as it might be presented somewhere on this website, and I can then make up my own mind about it, without any 'salesmanship' added into it. You do appear to be advertising something.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
john curl said:
I thought you were saying that it was virtually impossible for a ring emitter with negative feedback to have a stable gain over 1 MHz. Did I read you wrong?

Yes you did read wrong. I clearly said a unity loop gain frequency of 1MHz and reasonable amounts of global negative feedback (like ~34dB loop gain at 20kHz).

Status
Not open for further replies.