John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vast majority of discoveries come out of labs that are not more fully equipped than that.

No, not really. Not since... oh, maybe 1870.

Ego wins no arguments. It can be written off as misunderstandings, with in the idea of not perfect communication on forums, due to being written word only. But I'm starting to think otherwise.

I can't really comment, other than to say that we're talking very basic undergraduate physics. If one doesn't understand that, maybe it's worth expending more energy to learn the basics instead of spouting nonsense. No misunderstanding, KBK truly doesn't understand basic physics.

If someone starts talking about circuits and about how Barrie Gilbert and Bob Widlar and Barney Oliver were hacks, and at the same time doesn't know Ohm's Law, could you take him seriously?

It was an INTERPOLATION Fizzard, not just a good guess.
I know about interpolation, because in 1958, in trig class, I confused interpolation with interpollenation. when asked by my teacher to describe the technique at the blackboard. Got lots of laughs, but I was sent back to my seat, as I wore Levis with a motorcycle belt, dark glasses, and was in a gang. Just call me 'net-head' ( from the movie, 'Stand and Deliver'). It was an accident, honest, but I couldn't lose my cool and explain it further to the teacher. Had to keep my standing with my peers.

I don't think I'm getting through, so I'll put it aside. You are both still forming the argument in terms that don't apply. Missing the point, you are. Trying talk to you guys is like trying to talk basic sense to a brick wall. John said as much in another thread about 1.5 years ago. He told me to stop wasting my time. So I will.

I'm sorry KBK, SY had no right to challenge you about physics. He may have a Ph.D in it, but he makes bottle caps for a living, so he isn't the best reference for us. I have tried to get him to help me with physics questions in the past, and even showed him 'naked Bybee modules' but he took no interest in meeting the man or understanding him. By the way, the Bybee modules got reviewed in 'The Absolute Sound' this month by Dick Olsher. Dick is an OK guy, but he can't reveal how they work, because of his military clearance and contracts as well, but he allegedly 'knows' how they work, and he said that these devices will never leave his system. Just like they won't leave mine. Sometimes, we just have to try it, but many here, never will. Just don't let the insults get to you. You must be 'hitting a nerve'.
For example, my intelligence is impugned just this morning!
:smirk:

John:

Well, when a guy decides he wants to leave 50% of the situation, 'the wave,' and 'spooky action at a distance', on the cutting room floor, as it seemingly destroys his sense of being, that the first clue that someone really needs to get themselves to a bit of introspection.

Sy, for example is aware of my new toy, but seems to be missing the point of how deep an understanding of the the basis, the very basic points of the actual mechanics of wave/particle duality, of physics of existence, and understanding of time itself...that it would take to get there..and also failing to understand that there's not a single other person on the planet who's served note, in any fashion, that they've made it that far. He's been kind enough to keep that to himself, and I thank him for it. I revealed it to him at an earlier date, not as a point of ego, or to make a point - but only to show him my neat new toy, personally hoping that he use it to further himself, in other endeavors. A Pure, simple act of giving freely, and sharing discovery, it was.

That particular point in physics is now going to be available as a realized physical item in the audio business. It looks as innocent as the day is long, but it's far more than that. For example, one of the leading technical labs in Texas, their head lab calibration and test gear expert, (a good solid physicist) heard about the thing and was so excited he was nearly jumping up and down on the spot. He wanted to know everything he could about it. The concept alone blew his mind. I will pm you with the info. But I'm stepping out of this, it's giving me grief I don't want.

KBK said:
And that's the dividing line that's beginning to emerge here. Basic self awareness. It's an argument that cannot be won. Which is why the reasonable will not step up and debate it, and why the halls of academia, science, and physics are silenced of the input of their more correctly centrist participants.

I don't know what planet you're from, but on this planet, ideally, arguments are one by being correct. This is unfortunately undermined for the tendancy of stupid people to win arguments by being so untenable as to disgust the other participant out of proceding.

myhrrhleine said:
Lets not go overboard on Planck's constant, QM, relativity, etc.
These are not reality, as a good scientist should know.
They are models to help us understand things better.

So gravity isn't part of reality either? Last time I checked QM and GR were real. GR explained the perihelion precesion or Mercury perfectly. QM has explained countless things, some of which I mentioned a few posts back. Any theory that supercedes them has to simplify down to them in some limit, just like they simplify down to Classical Mechanics.

So about this Blowtorch, John, any chance of getting a schematic? You know I'm not totally a non-believer in all this no feedback sounds better mumbo-jumbo. I'm actually considering a ZV9 for my next project, although with SMPS.

john curl said:
KBK, you put yourself in trouble showing this first to people who do not want to believe in new ideas. In the end, it could hurt you, especially here, on this website.

Ah, it's OK. All I know, is that I know Chris (anatech) to some degree, and he knows SY. The impression of Chris I have is he does not deign to know or associate with people of low character-Chris can smell them out.. So Sy and I do disagree, and sometimes he gets angry with me. Sometimes I get angry with him. But I do not doubt his character, with regards to integrity.

KBK, for the record, I have NEVER been angry with you. And especially not with John, who is a good friend.

BUT...

Sy, for example is aware of my new toy, but seems to be missing the point of how deep an understanding of the the basis, the very basic points of the actual mechanics of wave/particle duality, of physics of existence, and understanding of time itself...that it would take to get there

Dude, you don't even understand basic physics. I seriously doubt that you have penetrated secrets of the universe that have eluded everyone else, and all through making wire for stereos.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
MikeBettinger said:

Lets not for get the most important piece of equipment, the inquisitive mind (and the imagination). Many times these perceive the interesting bits and the equipment verifies the thought.

Let is not also forget the veritable Everest of BS that is 99% of the BT thread. We can all marvel at da fruits of da intellect expressed here coz we are all soooo smart.

Good job that guy with the line amp schematic was put in his place. Made way for some reaallllllllll on-topic discussion, that did.
:whacko:

BTW, why does the theme tune to the Twilight Zone keep playing in that back of my mind when I read postings in this thread?

Charles Hansen said:

Funny you should ask. There is a guy who posts under the moniker "Dimitri". About a year ago, he compiled and organized everything that John had posted into one large document (PDF format). It has a *ton* of useful information and is available here:

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/download/file.php?id=1201

NB -- You may need to register at this site in order to download the file, I'm not sure.

It's a little out of date now, largely because of the new information that has come up in this thread. But certainly a person could do worse than simply go through and spend a day or so cutting and pasting John's pearls of wisdom into a convenient format such as Dimitri did. If anyone is so inspired, please share it with the rest of us, as it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Charles and John,

Thanks for pointing out the document

Its very informative and fills in a lot of caps particularly if you are working on a project as I am elsewhere and trying to get your head around a seemingly fundermental principle like feedback and its effects.

Your point about measuring what you say and what you do is really important for the diyer.

I am sure anyone who reads it will walk away with a "wider bandwidth" on the subject.

Ian

Thanks, Macka. It was not intended this way, but I have been inputting on message boards for the last 20 years. First, on a private audio board called TAN by phone link. It was in anticipation of 'maybe' making a pamphlet or small book with my input from it.
Dimitri apparently decided to compile a portion of these inputs and put them together. I was asked to 'proof' what he came up with, and it looks OK to me, for the most part.
You will find me VERY repetitive, and it does get boring saying it 'one more time' just because someone is too stubborn to have learned from the last time I mentioned it.
For example: You will find the book that I mentioned: 'Electron Microscopy of Interfaces in Metals and Alloys' in the compilation and even more material from the book than I just put here in the last day or two. It gets tiresome to retype. I don't even get paid for it, as well.
In truth, you will find virtually everything new in this Blowtorch thread that I have entered for the last few years. People just want to diminish the compilation as out-of-date, but it isn't.
Good reading.

John,

The enquiring / inquisitive "teaching model" does not always produce the best scores in junior high although the ones that actually get through learn to ask the right questions and they go onto bigger and better things.

On the learning what I thought was quite profound was the discussion on 3rd harmonic distortion (tape) and 7th.

Try teaching what to an ingrained mentality or those with 1 years experience 20 times over.

It would be more effective to publish it in braille .

Keep up the good work and leave the hoard's to do what they do best......

Ian

PMA,

I would say that shielding needs are much dependant on where the product is used. In a city full of "noise" in the air shileding is more needed than if you live on the country side.

If one has a house full of "noisy" equipment also affects te need for shielding.

MC RIAA amps are of course much more susceptable to noisy environments than a power amp.

Also, how well one cleans AC mains affects the need for box shielding.

I find it hard to say that everone needs the same shielding.

For a commecrial world-wide sold product it is of course another ball game.

Sigurd

PMA said:
In my experience, it is the circuit design and proper shielding that makes 85%-90% of resulting sound. All of those resistors, air wires etc. do not help for worse electronic design, when compared to a better one. This is just my listening experience when comparing several prorotypes even against very well known and respected products, which emphasized use of special components, burning in etc. To me, these are marginal issues discussed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.