John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone else tried shielding their VLS IC's....DSP IC, DAC IC etc. These high speed, high density IC's produce a lot of EMI/RFI. Not enough to escape the steel chassis but within a mixed signal pcb, I thought I would shield them.

I put some 3M Scotch copper foil tape with glue on one side on the tops of these noise generators. Then a stiff short grounding wire soldered to the shield.

Listen. What do you think ?

THx-RNMarsh

Probably not necessary, but you can see if you need it in measurements. Shielding your ICs when you are using 2 and 4 layer PCBs seems like putting the money in the wrong place.

A grounding wire will not be as effective because of the inductance. Real IC shields are soldered directly to the ground plane all around the perimeter of the device.

@dreamth
In my opinion, in exchange for trying to tolerate ýour character, please show us what you got best. But must be 100% invented, designed and made by you.
Use PM if you feel necessary.

Else please lower either your silly activist tone, or your expectations from us.

Your accusations on some of us might be true, God knows we all do mistakes: However your standing today is honestly not good at all, at least on physics topics - to start with, and therefore I have my serious doubts that you can actually be technically qualified as the judge for our work, not even (=especially not) partially.

All best wishes.
I don't know who's "us" ...Is it the abbreviation for the United States?
I can't fight the United States...sorry!
If you have any argument to disprove my opinions...please tell U.S. all what it is.
I'm a pusher...
I don't consider necessary or mandatory to do that , but if you look into everything i write(God forbid !), i think that you can easily see that i always tell where i get an idea from when i know where is coming from and i also accept defeat when a good argument is shown to me.Maybe not instantly , i have my own resistance to novelty, but in the end i accept defeat if proven wrong.Few people said "I'm so stupid!" more often than i did...
Even if I'd be the inventor of the electric current , i wouldn't probably take merit for things i didn't do, nor i'd expect you to worship me...

Last edited:
Hi Tournesol,

...It is just you like the various distortions + blur, noise, losses of treble etc introduced by the vinyls.
Probable, but is this "wrong"?

And the fact that you are used to.
No, I believe here you are wrong. Routine is not fun. But fact is, vinyl lovers are "trapped" in a no-better situation (=always the same old needle and coils and preamps and transport). I bet that these hard-wall physics limits drive them crazy. Bill and many of us here cannot be the kind of humans to be in love with hard-end limits, as I see it.

While, honestly, I hardly can make, with a good enough DAC, any difference between the master and the CD if no correction were applied in between.
Interesting. Care for some examples?

And with an average cheap DAC, the difference is subtle, no change in the response curve, just less "separation", one hundred time less than the mashed of the vinyl.
Very interesting. Could you bring us up with more details, numbers, real world examples please?
Thanks,

I don't know who's "us" ...Is it the abbreviation for the United States?

This is just silly of you. And disrepectful too, we are not proxies for any land in this forum.

Bein' a pusher cannot get you far, where you actually wish to get.

I think, if you can show us something better from you, to be 100% yours (even refined knowledge and opinion or 1% MORE understanding will count in), we can give a short try to tolerate redneck characters, like you display in this moment. All for the sake of education purposes, figure that!

Best,

Joined 2014
Paid Member
. Bill and many of us here cannot be the kind of humans to be in love with hard-end limits, as I see it.

I'm a bad example :). I mess with vinyl because its fun (and fairly pointless) to try and squeeze the best out of it, but also because it's a nice experience of an evening to kick back and have a glass of something with SWMBO whilst playing a record. 90% of my listening is digital though.

I would never claim vinyl is higher quality that well recorded digital but the total experience can be very very pleasurable. To me quality and experience can be mutually exclusive.

Has anyone else tried shielding their VLS IC's....DSP IC, DAC IC etc. These high speed, high density IC's produce a lot of EMI/RFI. Not enough to escape the steel chassis but within a mixed signal pcb, I thought I would shield them.

I put some 3M Scotch copper foil tape with glue on one side on the tops of these noise generators. Then a stiff short grounding wire soldered to the shield.

Listen. What do you think ?

THx-RNMarsh

I work in this field. Unfortunately today you cannot do more than relying (hopefully) on R&D quality, which usually boils down to both on a skilled/genius designer + good image company + a good execution.

CST in Darmstadt started since 4-5 years to provide software solutions to simulate near EM fields on chips you mentioned. But is hard work, lot to learn, change of R&D style... and expensive. Mostly digital and RF SOIC R&D try to build up in this direction and implement progress steps.

My educated guess in this field is that you shall wait another 20 years before you can see DSP mainstream products (=not high-tech swiss specialties) optimized for EM internally.

Best,

Last edited:
My poor English ? The mother (that is the same as the final records (positive), but in metal) is used to mold the stampers (negative) and that those stampers that are used to mold the final vinyls, and have to be changed.

No, no, sorry, my bad, I messed up the genders.

Still the math holds true:
  • 1 father -> 10 mothers
  • 1 mother -> 10 stampers
  • 1 stamper -> 1000 records
When it's gone, it's gone.

To be honest you know that this is your secret and highest wish IF you would be inventor of electric current.
You got me Doc!
YouTube

The rest needs just hard work, a feeling for a "mission to improve yourself" above all others, well beyond just a passion.

Just tell me the pages ...Where should I start Doc! I'm lost...

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Hi Tournesol,
1- Probable, but is this "wrong"?

2- Interesting. Care for some examples?
Could you bring us up with more details, numbers, real world examples please?
1- Not a question of wrong or right. I was talking about "fidelity".

2- Ok, just compare on the paper the performance of the ESS 9038 DAC with those of a best vinyl.

DAC ESS 9038 (depending of their implantation):
< 0.0001% distortion
< -120dB THD+Noise. (0.0001%)
> 5Hz–20kHz->100kHz (+-0.1dB) bandwidth(depending of the sampling frequency) on all the dynamic range.

Vinyl
< -80dB signal noise (clics and pops not included)
> 1.3% distortion (-37dB !) (measured) at 300Hz.
Bandwidth, in the best cases ...20- 23kHz (+-3dB) limited by the level.

No need to spend time arguing more. On both subjective and objective point of view, just buy a vinyl and a HD 24/96 file of the same HD recording and compare. Now, make a digital copy of both and compare to the originals: you will understand everything.

This said, you are free to prefer the photos of a polaroid to those of the last 48Mpx digital cameras on an artistic point of view: it is an other story..

EOT for me: I prefer the old vinyls of the Beatles to their remixed/remastered digital issues, ... for other reasons.

Tourney,

Pretty much anyone around before lead free gasoline had ingested some lead. Depends on the test method as to how sensitive and accurate the results. Of course some kids would be exposed to lead paint dust or even taste paint chips. The Romans used to use lead as a flavoring. It is supposed to taste sweet.

Then many old water pipes were made from lead. Modern water lines used lead solder and a number of public water systems have lead in the delivered product.

I had a fairly low level test to see what was cause neurological symptoms. Turned out to be much simpler and treatable.

... By the way, be honest, digitize one of your preferred vinyls with a good ADC in 24/96 and compare.

Yes, but how?

The combination of cartridge/arm/turntable/amplification/ADC will inflict a distinct sonic signature. It's OK for an analog vs digital test with the same combination, but not OK at all for archival purpose.

Plus, the market for this exercise is dramatically limted: D2D records and/or lost master tapes, that's about it. So I'd be surprised if anyone wants to invest any kind of money in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.