John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
On a uniformly wound toroidal transformer, the area of the coils ends, where input/output wiring exit is always a radiating section.

Coils on a toroidal transformer couple better with the core and to each other, so less leakage inductance. Also higher capacitive coupling between coils.
This is what makes wideband energy transfer with a wound laminated strip core toroidal unless you mean something else with “tuning” hitsware.

George

Yes - the most noise is definitely where the mains leads emerge from the transformer - but I have noticed it is not uniform at other positions around the core. On most of the wound transformers I have seen (and used) there is inevitable bunching of the windings - no big deal when you look at it or when its taped up, but the mag fields are a bit bumpy as a result.

When i am playing this blind game, I ensure to be in the same time the driver and the passenger, so I don't care about single or double ;-)
I mean, the musical content has to be well known by me, so my own content.
I might make a change one day, usually to my or speakers position/directivity these days, that's where it's at (incase you didn't already know:)) Then, if a few days down the line I find myself casually listening to a familiar recording for pleasure only and noticing something I haven't heard before, I take it as a good sign, and progress.......

IMO synchronous USB IS a reasonable system. It's the non-RTS operating system that seems to mess it up.

Of course, we could always argue that with propper implementation in the end device everything before (if not leading to real missing data) shouldn´t have any impact - large buffers for maximal decoupling of incoming and outgoing data streams for example.

But i just tried to follow the line of reasoning to show that is usually depends on the models the people (who are actually designing the devices, and others who are judging about audible effects) are using.
Models normally represent simplified versions of the reality and therefore we need to examine if predictions from the models are correct.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Jackob: agreed. Even if (for me) the only audible effect from sync operation is that my music stutters when windows starts thrashing away as it is wont to do.

On my linux server I hear no issues, just music. But I may be insensitive to the issue due to my not expecting there to be an issue. Prejudice works both ways!

Jackob: agreed. Even if (for me) the only audible effect from sync operation is that my music stutters when windows starts thrashing away as it is wont to do.

On my linux server I hear no issues, just music. But I may be insensitive to the issue due to my not expecting there to be an issue. Prejudice works both ways!

That delay or stream interruption is probably not related to the type of UAC endpoint - just a buffer underrun that would occur with asynchronous operation also. Linux is better at this because ill-behaved 3rd party drivers that aren’t part of the kernel tree are much less common.

Typically it’s just a poorly written driver. Even Linux doesn’t have a fully preemptable kernel in a normal configuration.

One of the worst Windows audio drivers I’ve seen is the Focusrite 2i2 driver. I’m not sure who they paid for that, but they should get their money back. I think it’s one of the companies selling XMOS / UAC drivers, but not Thesycon.

Last edited:
how do USB cables make a difference if the data at the receiving end is it perfect?

Let’s assume the csbles have no EMI issues and there are no earth loopsetc.

You can’t.

Either DSD is fragile to power eunning through the cable, or the “audiophile” cable helps introduce RF and stray fields. I read about how a guy was astonished that where he placed his USB cable (audiophile) made a difference in sound, especially the orientation of the little box at the end.

As said before, i think it is possible to share some informations (of course limited) educational purposes, so if you are in need for some publications, it could be an idea to drop me a note......

But in this case the main point isn´t the amount of jitter in modern equipment, but the IMD resulting from the jitter.

If you might reread my post, you´ll see that i responded to a post by PMA who seems to doubt that there are listening test results for IMDs below -40dB while the IMD components found to be detectable in the Benjamin/Gannon experiments were already below that i.e. around -60 to 65dB .

In this special case they used music samples from the McGill MUMS CDs and quite low frequency jitter of ~1650 Hz .

So the interesting point is just the level of IMDs in relation to the level of the "music" and as long as we don´t want to argue that the audible effect of jitter induced IMDs is (sinusoidal jitter) somewhat larger than the audible effect of IMDs induced by another signal frequency in the music sample (comparable in level and frequency) so that the resulting IMD components are of the same level and frequency as in the "Jitter case" we have to assume that the audible effect will be similar.

I hope it helps to clarify what i´ve meant?!

http://www.hit.bme.hu/~papay/edu/Acrobat/Fund.pdf shows that -90dB IMD is created by 35nS jitter with a 997Hz fundamental (further details are in the AP white paper). The same white paper shows measurements of IMD/THD vs. jitter frequency. Once again, for a 35nS jitter, the maximum IMD/THD is reached for a jittered input signal of 20KHz and a jitter frequency of 5KHz, and is slightly over -60dB.

You seem to infer that as long as such effects exists, it is worth considering them. Not in my book; anything that belongs to the pathology of particular implementation(s) is of theoretical interest only. I am not in particular interested if such pathological implementation effects are audible or not.

A few years ago I measured the IMD products of a computer $10 DVD drive and the motherboard integrated DAC (don't remember the brand, but it certainly was nowhere near a top performer, likely a $2 chip). The total IMD products were around -90dB for a 3KHz FS reference input signal, and the distribution was bimodal (excluding therefore any major noise contribution, I have somewhere in my stack of paper further details, I can dig them if somebody is interested). I don't know how much was the analog chain contribution to this distortion level, but to me this pretty much closes any practical discussion about jitter effects. You may want to further theoretically quibble about, but I don't think it's possible to invoke e.g. any USB cable audibility reports (or justify a need for exotic parts) on this basis.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
hitsware;5703458 What I mean is you can actually use (power) toroids as output xfmrs as opposed to (power) E-I's and pass a semblance of a square-wave .[/QUOTE said:
hitsware, thanks for the clarification .
I am aware that power toroidal transformers are good as audio transformers (and much worse as 50Hz psu transformers :D).

and the distribution was bimodal (...[/QUOTE] Yes please, dig for them :) George

I was accused for spreading false information by stating that a lid forms, in some sense, one more turn of the transformer. Was I wrong stating this?

There is some interaction after all as you state...

//

Of course do not forget the protip of ensuring fixing bolt doesn't touch the top of the enclosure. At which point bad things DO happen

Right, the only device that completely stopped working as simultaneous play/record with a routine update, though I have to admit the QA400 was totally bricked by the last update.

At least you don’t get random blue screens from it. That’s what happens to me. I looked at the kernel dump and LatencyMon output to make sure it wasn’t something else causing the bad behavior.

It also doesn’t present itself as a normal input device depending on the API the application is using. I haven’t hunted down which or why but Skype for Business and a couple other apps actually fail to see it as a valid audio input device despite showing up in Control Panel just fine.

Meanwhile the EMU drivers stopped being updated before Windows 8 existed and still work faultlessly with very low latency. Patchmix was quirky but it was robust for me.

Which in this broad generalization is truly incorrect. It might be the question if it helped people really to buy the best stereo system for their needs, but there are a lot of people who bought a certain kind of reproduction system after getting "DBT" results.

At the bottom it depends on the design of experiments where "blind tests" are part of the experiment. I should have said "seriously flawed experiments" instead of "....flawed blind listening tests" .

A clearly expressed hypothesis/question that will be examined should be the first step and then starts the design of an experiment which might include a controlled (blind) listening test following a protocol that is best suited for this specific task.

Unfortunately a lot of this process is usually missing which leads to a kind of exploratory data sampling without really knowing what is done but nevertheless followed by wide ranging categorical conclusions from any results.
Overall something that violates the rules of propper scientific work.
Have you questioned those who posted audible difference claims by using casual subjective comparison such as "In my experience USB cables can/do cause 'signature'"?

I was a sound engineer too. Do-you imagine blind tests at each steps of the thousand of decisions you have to take during a mixing session ?
If you really were a sound engineer, then you would know how to interpret audio measurements which are published all over the internet. You only need to know a few DBT results to be able to correlate the measurements to figure out how DAC, preamp, amp and cables will sound like.

This quest of absolute, truth, politically correct, this paranoid war against snake oil etc ... that seems like a religion for some people here, look totally ridiculous and unrealistic to me. Each one is free to chose the ways and the goods he prefers, the result is judged on arrival.

Do you make yourselves so many troubles to choose your cars ?
If you don't want to rely on objective test results, you are free not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.