John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the first measurement became a symmetric XLR cable, of course shielded, used. Once without a small one Slipstream Quantum Purifier, once with each a small slipstream quantum purifier in the signal wires, so a total of two. Measured was directly from the generator output on the analyzer input of Rohde & Schwarz UPD audio analyzer. There were none Filter turned on, bringing a measurement bandwidth given by 300 kHz. Measured became THD + noise, the sum of all Distortions + noise. The upper blue Curve is without the Small Slipstream Quantum Purifiers, the lower curve with these measured. You can do a low, but demonstrable improvement. This is quite audible! Measurements on Large Quantum Purifier The impedance measurement gave very similar results Results. Because of the physical Size of the Large Quantum Purifiers was one Measurement in a coaxial test device not possible. To document the effect, became another measurement setup selected: As signal source served Rohde & SchwarzSUF 2 noise generator, the broadband Noise up 50 MHz produced. This signal was with a 10 MHz sine wave Signal with a Power Combiner mixed. The result without Large Quantum Purifier is the upper blue curve, with Large Quantum Purifier the lower green curve. The 10 MHz signal is in both cases equal in level, so it is not attenuated. The noise floor is around 10 dB lowered. Such a big difference very noticeable in the audio field.

So, they make in all cases wideband (>300kHz, 50MHz) noise floor measurements, the devices are "doing something" - yes decreasing HF transfer like a passive components would - the decrease in HF results of course in reduction of the wideband (HF) noise floor and then they say it would be audible, though no measurement of noise in audioband (BW = 22kHz), except one strange plot with 1dB improvement that might have resulted from repeating error, has been provided. Reduction in HF will be also achieved with any LP filter. In my opinion this deduction from HF noise floor to audibility is a pure pseudo-science and the audio magazine just needed "something" measured to support the claim on sound improvement. I know this situation personally, I was asked several times by local audio producers and sellers to measure "something" on link cables and power cables.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes - this 1 db difference in THD+N is really interesting. My inner technician doubts it legitimacy. Yes there where fancy boxes used to do the investigation - but what about the operator? Not 100% convinced. I would have liked to see an independent organisation doing the measurements. A high-end magazine is not. So, not ready to invest in these things and put into my gear. It will take more rigor and stringens to do that.

//

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Same here, paid 6 figures to shave microseconds off of electronic transactions. OTOH I have a friend with a brother deeply involved in the grid that claims there are power centers with Win 3.0 computers deathly afraid to take them down for upgrade (there are no longer any viruses that apply).

If we want to keep these people doing what they are good at, they will have to be paid better, but I don't know that it can ever match what the finance industry can do. The only people that will stay in research are the ones that are not motivated by money and there are only a few of those. Kudos to DPH, but when he sees his buddy driving down the street in the latest Porsche, you can't blame him for wanting change career path.

Power centres running stuff under Win 3.0. Ouch! I'd be afraid of getting hacked

Many years ago I worked in the power industry, then for the power industry as a consultant. Back then we used PDP11 running mainly home-grown software and home-grown networking. Not a TCP/IP stack in sight. No external connections.

Then they wanted to get data from the plant to the PC on their desk. The PC on their desk was on the office LAN which was connected to the internet. I worked out a way of doing this fairly safely, but warned them that it reduced security.

Then they noticed that PCs were much cheaper than PDP11 or PLC, so PCs started appearing at the plant end. Then the IT people issued an edict that all PCs came under their control, and must be on the LAN so they could be 'managed' efficiently. I warned them that this would be throwing away security, and anyway the IT people would not understand the special requirements of a PC doing plant control (e.g. don't try to 'upgrade' it overnight to a new system version which was not supported by the SCADA software). About this time I left the industry and went back to unversity.

I now hear dire warnings about plant computers being hacked, or facing threats of hacking. Why do people not know that you cannot have something which is both connected (so you can see the data) and isolated (so it is safe from external interference)? It is like a newbie designing a PSU with the wrong transformer, so he wants to run two separate PSUs from one CT secondary.

john curl said:
Different energy states in electrons, not good or bad specifically.
So noise/distortion etc. gives rise to different electron energy states in a conductor from music? I'm sure a proven Maxwell demon would easily score a Nobel prize.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Generally yes, but in this case the failure to look at it was spectacular.

I have a 1988 wireless world that talks about home automation being the next big thing!

The facebook angle is interesting as many companies have forgotten that you should deliver solutions your customers want rather than what you have to sell. Square pegs being hammered into round holes everywhere.

Why didn't they replace the QP with an inductor with the same R and L and do the THD-N again. This would have been educational I think.

Did the QP and the piece of wire have the same Z in the audio band? - it was unclear to me. If yes, indeed the QP has magical powers - if No - was any level difference compensated for?

1dB is a lot.

//
Agreed.
No baseline, no error bars, no repeat measurement. Once they found a result they liked, it was off to the printer.

1 dB at -97dB? Suspicious.

Does anybody really believe that a high end audio mag would print a neutral or negative article? Or even a test showing that a ferrite bead (as they mentioned) could do the same thing.

Imagine the threat of lawsuit, or even worse, the withholding of articles for evaluation. The nag would go under.

Jn

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Sadly the whole 'IOT' rush has opened up many security holes and, after 10 years of chasing unicorns look very much like SCADA, just in the cloud and not as good! There was no lessons learned from the past, which seems the valley thing!

Yes - and then you find ludicrously complex security on things that really don't need it, and systems that should be ludicrously hard to get into with wide open back doors.
A company I deal with, their IT has locked down the LAN and email so much that you can't essentially send any files. So all the developers send stuff by personal email to their phones, then download to the workstations. By making the security silly, they force people to bypass it completely in order to do their job... Aaargh...

Then the IT people issued an edict that all PCs came under their control, and must be on the LAN so they could be 'managed' efficiently.

The model in many places. By the end (my end) they froze everything to a 5 year out of date Redhat and I could no longer build upgrades to anything because they had had to keep everything pointed to old libraries for the in house tools.

We had a very senior product line director that, on his own, issued a memo that all free or "beta" software should be removed immediately. I reminded him that would include most of the Linux distribution everyone used.

Our adversaries (whoever they may be) must think it strange that we make it so easy to access our critical infrastructure. Someone needs to tell IT people that computers are now ubiquitous, so they can't claim all computers as IT; imagine what it would have been like if 50 years ago the typing pool claimed control over all keyboards!

One power station did at least make an attempt to be safe. It had a 'diode' in a communications link between two computers, so messages could only go one way. One computer than became known as POTOS: 'processor on the other side' of the diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.