John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark: You cannot rule out that you, on your own are not biasing yourself. Simply not possible. You are also working beyond the limits of the measuring equipment you have, so are well into flooby territory. You have no controls. Which is fine, but you are speaking as if you do.

Understood from your position. If you were here you would have a different take because you would see details missing in your present information set. No matter, you can trust my judgment and know how or not. If not, then we are stuck because we need money if we are to run proper research.

Think I have said enough, we are back into the infinite argument territory. No point in going on. Best to stop here since I know I won't last until infinity time.

Mark: The problem with your continual repeating of Earl's throwaway comment about '5%' (twice in last 24 hours alone) is that about 30% of the people on here think they are in that 5% who have mystical hearing abilities. It now part of the horrible circle of this endless debate.

If you like to check the numbers for "30% of the people on here" (even if strechted far out in using all the members) and the for "5%" of the population it really could be true ...... ;)

Markw4 said:
If hundreds of test show that gravity waves can't be detected, does that prove they can't be?
Poor analogy, because we can often build a better detector. We can't build better ears.

If it is obvious, they why do we need ABX? We already know if something is obvious.
ABX would confirm that a claim of 'obvious' is actually true. There are lots of false claims of 'obvious'. ABX might even show us how obvious. It is reasonable to suppose that some less obvious difference would only be reliably heard by some people, so their score would stay up while others' scores would go towards random guessing.

Sometimes the issue is whether or not small effects are audible at all, in which case insistence on using ABX is probably a poor choice likely to produce inconclusive results due to its well known insensitivity.
"Well known" on what basis? That it gets the 'wrong' result according to some people?

I would like to use a more sensitive test when trying to discern small differences.
Then do so. Nobody is wedded to ABX. Find another test which allows hearing to be the arbiter of sound. No peeking alowed.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Regarding the last point above, when I adjust harmonic distortion compensation in a dac by a very slight amount and hear a difference it is very likely I am not hearing what I was measuring, which was HD, but rather a change in the IMD profile at a much higher level. Why do I think that? Because I can hear it. If all the effects of an adjustment were confined to -120dB then I wouldn't hear it. In this case I think I can rule out sighted listening effect due to the methodology used during testing.

Or, of course, you are hearing a difference because you expect to - not necessarily the same as "sighted listening".
What's the methodology that "removes sighted listening effect"?

A test of what can be heard in a room by people sitting in that room is best carried out by getting people to sit in that room and listening. The aspect being examined is quite simple: can people reliably hear a difference? If you find that they can hear a difference then you can explore what they are hearing. If they cannot hear the difference between unit A and unit B in that setup then the conclusion should be that in that setup those listeners cannot distinguish A from B. You cannot make A and B more dissimilar to check the threshold of difference because the test was of A and B, not degrees of A-ness and B-ness.

The word 'test' does not necessarily mean 'carefully-controlled ethically-approved free from unintentional gender bias with sufficient statistics and full write-up suitable to pass peer review for an international research journal'. Did you never have a maths test or a spelling test at school? Maybe you objected to what the teacher called it?

One of the interesting results from the Richard Clark Amplifier Challenge was the tests we did to determine bias: We had the listeners do the same tests twice, once writing their observations, and the next battery while encouraged to discuss the results as they happened. The tests done in written form resulted in fully random correlation to either the actual source or between the listeners. The results while discussing ended up correlating highly between listeners, but once again a random correlation to the actual source.

Likewise our tests using a light to identify the source (but which actually was not) resulted in high correlation of differences to the light, not to the actual source.

Listening to the test subjects describe what they heard convinced me people actually "heard" differences. That is, their auditory cortex processed the sound in a way that made it sound different, but the factor causing the differential processing was not cochlear output, indeed it could be visual cortex input, or just plain expectation bias. You can imagine you are drinking milk while sipping orange juice...for a short while.

Doing these tests was fun for a while..and then (for me) it was not. I won't belabor the arguments that broke out when people realized they were unable to reliably identify sources...I have no interest in that aspect of testing, and egos are apparently difficult to control...I was able to identify the less egotistical engineers by their smile and lack of ego when discussing the tests. Several made suggestions which helped us design other test protocols. After all it was just for fun and learning, no human was hurt during the tests.

Have a great weekend, all!
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• Decca CD box.png
    Decca CD box.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 159
Or, of course, you are hearing a difference because you expect to - not necessarily the same as "sighted listening".
What's the methodology that "removes sighted listening effect"?

Of course not. I expected to hear no change for a small adjustment. That's the problem with trying to describe events here in text. People look for any explanation their imaginations can construct and believe them as though they are fact. Another demonstration System 2 is lazy.

To provide a little more detail after my surprise at finding a small adjustment made an audible difference, I adjusted for a measured distortion null of the H3. Didn't like the sound, presumably because of remaining H5 and H7 that could not be changed. Decided to adjust H3 for my preferred sound. Null was at -157 IIRC, preference was at -150. Did a repeated search on each side of the preferred setting much like tuning in IF transformer slug with a wide-ish peak (although this was not that wide). Look at the sides of the curve and find the center. Converged on -150 multiple times homing in on my preferred sound, left it there. That was the most reliable fit to my preference I could find. There are some more details to this I won't go into to keep it brief, just stuff having to do with tuning sensitivity, we can skip it for now.

My son walks in from outside. Last time he was there I was swapping opamps which we both heard the same way. He is getting much better at hearing distortion with practice. I said, "listen to both speakers," and nothing more. It was a slight misdirection as last time I had them sounding different. He walked up and listened to the speakers separately and together. He frowned and said they sound the same as each other, but they are less bright and less distorted this time. He was exactly right according to the measured adjustments I made.

From previous measurements I also know H2 was sitting at -120dB +- 1dB-2dB when I started. The error band is because of noise filter settling time. I don't want to wait forever for the noise to settle.

We get these things right all the time with at least one of us blind, sometimes both. Occasionally there are differences too small to call. Mostly they are sufficient to discern blind, at least if ear fatigue has not set in, which usually we don't let that happen.

Now, I am sure people can dream up all kinds of stories about how there was this or that bias or mistake, blah, blah, blah. Have fun with your imaginations.

BTW, in the case of the H3 adjustment, I think most people here could hear that if they were asked to listen for it. They might need to have a short training session switching back and forth to learn what to listen for, but in this case it was not hard.

Okay, I really want to go back offline on this. Please stop talking to me and I will try to return the favor.

Last edited:
I think this intermingling of sensory input and mental processing factors has a strong evolutionary precedent: After all, if we had not evolved to let our emotions and other factors affect our perception, there would have been a lot less reproduction going on...

Just my 2¢ worth.
Howie

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think this intermingling of sensory input and mental processing factors has a strong evolutionary precedent: After all, if we had not evolved to let our emotions and other factors affect our perception, there would have been a lot less reproduction going on...

True.

That we are dealing with audio and not with biological reproduction is a sure sign of … :D

George

<snip>
You would be such a party pooper at a meta-analysis conference! As I have tried (and possibly failed) to state, I'm intested in the people watching side of this.<snip>

I understand, and share the interest, but nevertheless thought that it doesn´t help only to criticize one side while the other is acting quite similar.
Therefore i metioned that for example in case of a positive "ABX result" the "its just fun" part usually suddenly ends.

Imo the test results mmerrill99 linked to are a typical examplefor this mechanism. (Btw this mechanism was one of the reasons why i started the thread about the evidence that people would accept in case of results contradicting their prior beliefs)

Wrt the meta-discussion; i would include the people discussion the habits of others too; i might be mistaken but the word "excuse" is/was imo mostly used with the negative connotation of "unjustified face-saver" which seem to be unfair as we know that there exist good explanations for negative results although listeners are principally able to differentiate between two stimuli.

Being sceptical is imo good/justified but it should be balanced.....

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Another demonstration System 2 is lazy.

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

My only small point - the "system 1, 2" stuff is a very early hypothesis only. Some find is useful - amongst folk I know (including research psychologists and AI researchers) it's considered somewhere between a useful tool and not at all relevant. We know so little really; this comment is not intended as a criticism of you!

Poor analogy, because we can often build a better detector. We can't build better ears.

Otoh good analogy, because as a physicist you´d never use detectors without checking their properties but that´s what is routinely done in these "it´s just fun tests" ; unfortunately often in less "fun based" approaches as well.

ABX would confirm that a claim of 'obvious' is actually true. There are lots of false claims of 'obvious'. ABX might even show us how obvious.<snip>

Isn´t that first of all a matter of semantics or synchronization before drawing any further conclusions?
Let me reintroduce the "gorilla in our midst" example. Is that in the compartment of "obvious" ? I´d say so, but obviously it can remain undetected if only the distraction is sufficient.

Another example would be a difference first missed in a controlled listening test, but after being pointed to it is "heard" always under the same test conditions.
Does this difference then qualify for the descriptor "obvious" ?

Obviously if something is an "obvious" difference depends on a lot of variables and one shouldn´t pretend that there exists broad agreement about such terms / their meaning.

A sighted test does not test what people hear, but also what they see. Therefore it is not a good test of what people hear. What is difficult about this?

More precisely you/me/us as third party observers simply don´t know what is/was tested, stating the above as fact is misleading as _we_ _don´t_ _know_ .
We only know that generally such tests can be associated with a high risk of bias impact, but if a specific test was prone to that bias, nobody knows without examining it.

If we are trying to provide corrobation acceptable for third partys we normally don´t use "sighted listening" tests as one can not show internal validity.

Please explain my "misunderstanding" and "misconceptions". Do you hear with some organ other than your ears?

Doing something "blind" does not ensure internal validity either; so it doesn´t help in comparison to "sighted listening tests" as one still can´t show internal validity. What is difficult about this?

So if hundreds of tests all find the same result then this should be taken as evidence that the tests were flawed, not that the result is true?

Is that the guy writing, who takes often all literally? Can i have that guy back, please? :)

Come on, as a scientist, weren´t you getting a bit suspicious if the data fits in a way that was too good to be true?

I'm sorry, physicists would not make much progress in understanding the world if we followed such poor advice from statisticians. If you calculate a daft number then your initial assumptions must have been wrong.
You evaded the point that mixing results from different experiments over all possible effects done under virtually no quality control together to declare "indistinguishability" can´t be reflecting the "true spirit" of good experimental design and analysis.
And i´m indeed quite confident that physicists would have never done much progress if they´d follow such incredible sloppiness.

People claim to hear differences when they know what they are listening to, and in some cases claim that these are clear 'night and day' ....

And if you only could you would deny that the "gorilla" really was there but unfortunately it was...... ;)
I totally agree that people should restrain from these "night and day " descriptors, but if you insist on "take it literally" please follow it in every direction not only when targeting "audiphiles".

It is not surprising that those who make a living from selling audio, and those who claim 'golden ears', and those who have spent lots of money buying equipment, will wish to denigrate all such tests.

Which is a clear bias and you should be aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.