John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly. Maybe more like once he knew which was which, his System 1 could construct new attributions of causation for the differences he heard.

The problem with listening tests like PMA offered is that one may hear a difference, but there can be many complex reasons for audible differences, and without knowing what was what to some extent there must always be some guessing involved as to what might be the cause.

Supports myths and excuses.

Yes, it is best to stay out of trouble, Richard! '-)
In reality, I am very happy to share what I find makes a better than average audio design. However, many here don't believe most of what I contribute, and demand 'proof' of even the most PROVEN things, like differences in caps, TIM, etc. It gets kind of tiresome to repeat myself over the decades. If any here really want to know what I think about circuit design, etc, just google my name, add audio designer, and get the 100+ page compendium that Dimitri put together over 10 years ago called 'Condemnation without examination is prejudice'. (Or something like that) It says most of what I have had to contribute over the decades, for those who might be interested.
Of course, I still hope to update any new info here, but it IS an uphill course.

I've gone hunting for this document a couple of times and haven't been able to find it. Is it something you can link? Or perhaps email?

Not so much of a fancy excuse i´d say, as it is already known that the way PMA introduced the comparison is very probable introducing bias effects wrt estimating the cause for any difference.

How so? I don't take any weight to PMA's test as it wasn't at all rigorous (minus PMA's work to generate the files), if you're wondering, but I just find it fascinating that we're being so accommodating of "well now that I know which is which, let me completely revise my story".

Not that I don't appreciate the work Pavel did there, but it's not generally informative. (more useful in whether you can tell the difference)

Ed Simon: Please forgive me for being distracted by the usual piffle and not responding to your reportage about the events of 10/27. While I can never feel your anguish, please understand that even here in another country we feel the pain and sadness of this horrible crime, even if we are not part of that community. You and your have my deepest condolences.

How so? I don't take any weight to PMA's test as it wasn't at all rigorous (minus PMA's work to generate the files), if you're wondering, but I just find it fascinating that we're being so accommodating of "well now that I know which is which, let me completely revise my story".

Not that I don't appreciate the work Pavel did there, but it's not generally informative. (more useful in whether you can tell the difference)

Exactly, PMA's little comparison are not the interesting part here.

Pavel has done this kind of thing before too, where the extra processing that adds very slight distortion sounds subjectively better, and people's brains get confused about causation for what they hear, thus resulting in an incorrect conclusion.

I don't understand what you are saying at all. If it sounds subjectively better to you how could it be the incorrect conclusion?

I listened. I heard way more midrange on one file. Usually tube circuits add midrange and compression. So here we have a tube line stage circuit that sucks out midrange and pushes harmonics in the upper register to feign detail and dynamics. The added detail and dynamics is cool in a way. But the drastic midrange suck out? All I have to say is WTF? Why design such a thing? PMA, did you build this into the circuit on purpose?

Last edited:
... He showed the circuit, showed the distortion profile then asked if anyone could tell the difference between a wire and that circuit. ...
I can usually hear a difference if the material is in stereo, but the samples were mono and no distortion residual phase information. Easiest for me to hear presence of H2 is from spatial cues, a H2 leading fundamental by 90deg will enhance midrange and spaciousness while H2 lagging fundamental by 90deg is more forward, less depth and more pronounced detail. Not so easy to hear in mono, at least I (with not so much experience) can not hear enough difference using headphones from the samples to form any conclusion. But Pavel's point about listener preference is valid.

I don't understand what you are saying at all. If it sounds subjectively better to you how could it be the incorrect conclusion?

That it sounds subjectively better is not the question or conclusion PMA solicited. He asked respondents to say which file is the wire and which is the tube circuit, which is not something can be known with certainty from listening to two files such as those PMA posted. But, when someone asks a question, sometimes people will innocently try to answer without stopping to consider whether an attempt is being made to set them up.

EDIT: Based on past experience, we can probably be pretty sure that when PMA posts a listening test of some type, he already knows his conclusion. It is most likely not an effort to research something, IMHO.

Last edited:

Sorry, my recollection about what was said appears to be mistaken.

I will admit to having some left-over frustration after some of Pavel's past listening test threads. Once he did one with a wire and power amp, and I think I said the files sound different, but can't say which was which. Seems like somewhere back in there were complaints from onlookers for waffling, rather than expressing certainty. So long as not the case here, then I certainly have no truck with Pavel. My apologies, sir.

Last edited:
That it sounds subjectively better is not the question or conclusion PMA solicited. He asked respondents to say which file is the wire and which is the tube circuit, which is not something can be known with certainty from listening to two files such as those PMA posted. But, when someone asks a question, sometimes people will innocently try to answer without stopping to consider whether an attempt is being made to set them up.

EDIT: Based on past experience, we can probably be pretty sure that when PMA posts a listening test of some type, he already knows his conclusion. It is most likely not an effort to research something, IMHO.

FWIW, I had no problem figuring out which file was which and I wouldn't claim to have any special hearing abilities. I was quite surprised to read morinix's initial response and wondered if he was listening to the same files.

Innocently try to answer? People are free to ignore Pavel's challenges. If they choose to strut their stuff and get it wrong, that's hardly his problem.

People are free to ignore Pavel's challenges.

Freedom was never at issue. There is an old, long history to Pavel's listening tests. They were not conducted for research into to what people can or can't hear, IMHO. It became clear Pavel's belief's in that area were already pretty firmly set. Don't know if anything has changed in that regard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.