John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Herb Reichert. Reviewer, claims RNM is a mate of his here Gramophone Dreams #23: AudioQuest, Triode Wire Labs | Stereophile.com

I don't know who H.Reichert is. Maybe he talked to me on the telephone once? Or an e-mail?

I certainly dont remember him or ever communicating with him. He may have said to me what he claims.

Other wise, I dont even read reviews any more. Since HP died. He was the only person to describe the sound in ref to accuracy and I always concurred with my listening also. No others can compare RIP.

I heavily rely on T&M to learn more about what I heard .. to find correlations, causes, greater accuracy etc. One can easily get fooled into Liking something which isnt accurate but has nice, pleasent effect.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So obviously you can show your circuit holding 90 dB cmrr, along with a part #s to give confidence in the $1?

I'm, politely, not holding my breath.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There are many well known ways to increase cmrr within typical diff input amps.... without 4 opamps.

http://www.iitg.ac.in/apvajpeyi/ph218/Lec-22.pdf

-RNM

Last edited:
There are many well known ways to increase cmrr within typical diff input amps.... without 4 opamps.

This is a very primitive look at the LTP input stage of an op-amp not a diff amp not the same thing.

Tell me you were joking about the scify movie. The technology was described by one reviewer as akin to Dr. Who's sonic screwdriver (Bill that is a myth isn't it).

The creature returns, attacking and wounding Lee, while Marcus and Regan hide in a pickup truck. After seeing his father wounded, Marcus shouts impulsively, attracting the creature to the truck. Due to its unpleasant sound, Regan turns her cochlear implant off for the first time
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
This is a very primitive look at the LTP input stage of an op-amp not a diff amp not the same thing.

yes it is but for the typical audio amp discussed in my 1992 TAA art. to modify it for higher cmrr it is fine.

Interfacing issues with existing consumer amps can still be a source of cmrr, emi/rfi and grounding variables in performance. Still true today with typical designs for consumer products. Testing as a system will show the weaknesses not shown in isolated dut testing.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Until Walt Jung started his POOGE series on equipment modifications and upgrades, doing such things was not usually done. WJ did power supply upgrades, opamp upgrades, Cap upgrades, dc servo etc etc. Mods were done to CD players, amps, preamps - tube and SS. Since then, the DIY community started to grow and a healthy number of people do similar things plus more... ac line filtering etal. because of the POOGE series in particular got the word out that amps will 'sound' better/accurate doing those mods/upgrades, many have verified the results as being audible most of the time. All consumer and pro have included much of the mod ideas and concepts WJ initiated and promoted --- the result is a lot better sound. Thank you, Walt. <3

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Richard,
My wife just lost 100% of her hearing in the right ear (her good one). A virus did this in less than 2 hours. Currently they are trying to see if some can be brought back. She is getting injections into her inner ear through the ear drum. It's scary to think you can lose something that fast. This was only two weeks ago, maybe three. Bone conduction won't help as the nerve was attacked and destroyed they think.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Many people claim that crystals help them work out which foods to eat!

Another point on the Ingenius that might have been missed is that it also bootstraps the capacitance, so your input RFI filters don't wreck CMRR. I really think they are cheap at $6 for what you get.

yes, its a fine chip. But nothing to do with what I am talking about unless you are changing the subject to that chips specs and want to talk about consumers who are using it instead. My app is for those which dont have that chip in its front end. Do you know which consumer amps use it? Not many is my guess. So, there are up grades and mods to circuit for DIY'ers to enjoy.….

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi Richard,
My wife just lost 100% of her hearing in the right ear (her good one). A virus did this in less than 2 hours. Currently they are trying to see if some can be brought back. She is getting injections into her inner ear through the ear drum. It's scary to think you can lose something that fast. This was only two weeks ago, maybe three. Bone conduction won't help as the nerve was attacked and destroyed they think.

-Chris

If there is no nerve damage/loss, then it can help her. other wise...…its electrical signal directed to the area where the nerves would have gone in the brain. Not there yet.
This will give you a clue as to cause and type of damage. Thus, how correctable. It may be conductive loss.

What Are the Most Common Causes of Hearing Loss?

-RM

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

-Chris

Look into getting her some NADH and methyl B12 for nerve support.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
yes, its a fine chip. But nothing to do with what I am talking about unless you are changing the subject to that chips specs and want to talk about consumers who are using it instead. My app is for those which dont have that chip in its front end. Do you know which consumer amps use it? Not many is my guess. So, there are up grades and mods to circuit for DIY'ers to enjoy.….

-RNM

I merely pointed out that I was suprised that very few people (this being a DIY forum I meant DIY types) used this. My power amps do and my preamp will when I finish it and it's quite a popular design. Lots of pro gear does as well, you know the sort of stuff that the music you listen to is recorded on.

It's odd but I've missed all the discussions on here on your mod. I'll go looking for schematics that use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.