John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked with him a few minutes ago, mostly about the LXmini crossover,
full range Seas drivers in sealed boxes, the group delay figures of the
bass EQ network in the first Thiel loudspeakers in '77, and the good old
days when we had the time to drink beer and watch the channel 2
monster movies on a Saturday afternoon....

He is in good spirits, but tires easily.

Thanks Nelson for the update. Wishing him the best.

I recall "Creature Features" with some guy with glasses and smoking a big 'ol cigar. I can't recall if the "price slasher" sponsored that or

not, but I got great pleasure in scaring my brother half to death when they showed "Creature from the Dark Lagoon."

He was scared for ever and I had him believing that the "Creature's" brother was called a "Prowler". He'd hear about the prowler on the news or I'd show him something in the news paper about a "Prowler" and he'd

be all scared about it again.

My little brother had to do a lot of things for me to keep him safe too. He really had to earn his life. :)

But hey, that's what older brother's are for, to keep their little brothers in line.

Cheers,

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I talked with him a few minutes ago
He is in good spirits, but tires easily.

Thanks Mr. Pass.

You are in par with him in terms of this community’s respect, so you are the appropriate person to give Mr. Linkwitz our warmest wishes.

+10 He's the best, the end of life is a harsh reality we all need to deal with there is no escaping.

No one knows when it may come.
Good people cater all their life to have their inner debts arranged (Charlie be good).

George

And for a new subject, the practical history of recording.

Many of the recordings I like were done live. Well before recording gizmos were small. I tend to prefer early recordings made on the Ampex 350 machines in stereo. When the Scully 280 became popular in the mid 60's it had a tape distortion compensation circuit. Something that I find colors things when listened to with modern equipment.

Then of course multitrack recording became the standard and by the late 60s just about every successful studio had adopted them.

I find multi track studio recordings are generally better with a direct field listening environment, but we should not forget the LEDE design influence.

The Live End if the control room was the back wall and the Dead End was the front wall with the monitor loudspeakers. It seems some diffused reflections were desired for mixing.

And even farther afield Stereophile Class C loudspeakers include one that my cost was $17.00 EACH. They should be in on Tuesday.

The intent now is to finish my homes in listening space with the ability to pick direct or diffuse field depending on the recording.

Cell phone tipping so please ignore the mistakes.

Last edited:
And for a new subject, the practical history of recording.
Many of the recordings I like were done live. Well before recording gizmos were small. I tend to prefer early recordings made on the Ampex 350 machines in stereo.

Some of the early Takoma blues revival LP's were done on Ampex IIRC some even in mono with cheap spring reverb. A nice low-fi sort of sound. I forgot which cut it was but there was one audience recording done with a borrowed early Nagra (portable?) which stood out as very different. David Lewiston's Tibetan field recordings were on Nagra's IIRC (some of my personal treasures).

Last edited:
A good example of the fairly abrupt change in technology are the recordings of "This is your land" by The Brothers Four, The Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul & Mary.

For a great example of musical interpretation, compare "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" by Peter, Paul and Mary vs a version by Marlene Dietrich. The German version is even more interesting. Probably have to count on George to find a clean web version.

Status
Not open for further replies.