John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you want to get paid, shut up and do what I tell you."

Manipulating those in authority who operate on principles like this is amazingly easy. Usually you can act like you are doing "what you are told" and do what you please. Most technical managers that don't have a deep grasp of the underlying technology run on fear and are basically clueless. I have found myself more than once in a "yes Master Spy" moment.

EDIT - maybe only jn gets that one.

Last edited:
Manipulating those in authority who operate on principles like this is amazingly easy.

Less and less so. Technology is being brought to bear. Employees may be constantly monitored where they are in a building, who they are standing next to, keystroke counting at the computer (and for non-gibberish input), monitoring of websites visited, etc.

Last edited:
Less and less so. Technology is being brought to bear. Employees may be constantly monitored where they are in a building, who they are standing next to, keystroke counting at the computer (and for non-gibberish input), monitoring of websites visited, etc.

Now we're getting carried away. Are you serious, folks type gibberish to appear busy? They could at least be designing their next pre-amp. ;)

Then hold down delete. Then do it again. It is be a slave, resist however you can, or be out on the street.

Some do it to resist, some are lazy, some are okay with it and do what they are told. It varies a lot.

I have three of the five dramatizations of 1984, my favorite is the second BBC one. Donald Pleasance and Christopher Lee are great.

EDIT - Am I mistaken or have things become a little unhinged here?

It is wonderful to have a boss who understands the first time anything is explained. And says "let me know if there is anything standing in your way, I will clear it".

My work enviro is pretty much that...I see little reason to retire.

A friend said "you don't want to die at work do you?"

I responded..."you haven't seen me give a presentation, have you???"

Jn

EDIT - Am I mistaken or have things become a little unhinged here?

The technology exists, some companies use it. It all comes from competition and the drive for every more productivity. If you can stop people from goofing off here and there and keep them busy it adds up. There is technology to implant RF ids under employees skin. Unlocks doors, runs the time clock when they come and go, and keeps track of where they are every minute. Computer notifies manager if anything unusual or unauthorized. In some jobs we really need robots. In the meantime we will make do best we can with humans. We need them to be productive at all times to meet the business plan, etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Down time creates creativity.

Each of my technicians had their own office, and they were told to go get a coffee if they needed one, or got stuck on something. My door was open if they ran into problems. Things ran really well for 16 years until I sold the place.

-Chris

Umm, ok I guess:confused: I'm not sure how to apply "wide brush" to the Bond reference to oral sex.:confused::confused:

That said, the techs I work with, I trust. I constantly tell them, do what you know is right, tell me what you did so that in the event it fails, I can state that I approved the work.
It is very important they understand the work, and that they are trusted. I place my "rep" on the line for them. That is how it should be. Perhaps I'm niave. However, I trust them.

They are the first line, and the future.

Jn

Last edited:
Well T, (and Richard Marsh too), I remain surprised after all these decades of serious papers
by engineers contributing to audio design, that people still can't believe that there are differences
in how capacitors sound when used in audio products.

I found this out in the 60s repairing audio gear, when the sound changed with different capacitors,
and was disgusted because it was yet another problem to worry about. It still is.

In the 70s I got an ARC D-150, but it sounded very disappointing. Looking at the schematic,
there were mylar input capacitors. Shorting them improved the sound of the D-150 a lot.

I found this out in the 60s repairing audio gear,...

Same old wife in the kitchen story, same old arguments forming, idea of fixing ABX testing out the window... The Never Ending Story.

BTW, rayma, I don't disbelieve you at all. But, somehow we need to reconcile what people hear with what we measure. Regarding capacitor DA it doesn't produce HD, okay so maybe it produces objectionable linear distortion. Are we measuring for that? What is the threshold of audibility for that, has it been measured?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
In my own experience, capacitors that measure with high dissipation also seem to create distortion. Replacing them normally reduces measured distortion and makes the amplifier sound better - not by my ears. I always have others listen without telling them anything about what (if anything) was done. Of course, it matters greatly where the capacitor in question is in the circuit and what it is supposed to do. You have to know what you're doing and understand the circuit.

-Chris

Do you all consider this page to be worthless? I find the conclusion consistent with what I hear with signal coupling caps for the most part.

I'd love to have great usable measurements on capacitors, to define their sound even better (or know which is "best"). But as it stands I have several PP's that sound different yet measure vanishing distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.