John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why (I'm not sure to have understood you) ?
Do you disagree ?
What I wanted to say is most of the French food (in his best) is a complex chemical process elaborated by chiefs in order to create new tastes, new perfumes by a subtil and precise mix of ingredients and their modification by the time, the way they are cook together or separately and their combination in your dish that allow-you to play with several of those "chords".
Thai food is absolutely different in his spirit. They play often with the time each savour take to be developed in your mouth. those perfumes comes one after the other, like a perfume change with time on your skin. Long time after you have leave the table, you will have sparks of tastes that will still explode in your mouth.

It is a lot more than this, but as one example the word "perfume" in the english language does not go with food. While I know what you mean, I still gag a little as I read it. I cannot stand perfume, or any other strong scent man made. Not long ago I was in the living room at my mother's house and she emptied some old shampoo down the drain in the bathroom, a few seconds after my eyes were burning as the smell hit me. I had to leave.

The only way native English speaking refers to perfume:

1. a substance, extract, or preparation for diffusing or imparting an agreeable or attractive smell, especially a fluid containing fragrant natural oils extracted from flowers, woods, etc., or similar synthetic oils.

And only think it comes like this,

375x500.12345.jpg

And only think it comes like this,
I'll stay corrected, thanks.
A little story, in correlation. I was preparing a TV program with famous "nez" (creators of perfumes) in Paris. We were invited to dinner for a reunion in the house of one of them. Lot of dishes he cooked for us were made with small touches of raw materials, flower essences and others, that they use in perfumes. An amazing, unforgettable and delicious experience.

I realized what Tryphon meant. Ginger, galangal, lime leaf, lemongrass, and fish sauce from Thai cooking all qualify.

I dunno...

This is a salad from The Willow Inn. I'd like to try it but I haven't been able to splurge the $200-300 or whatever it is with mandatory tip etc on the many coarse meal. The restaurant appears amazing, but the hotel is lavishly expensive for no apparent reason. They've bought up a bunch of property near by to, since they have big demand now. But they charge like 4x as much as AirBnB with dumpier service & rooms. And apparently the head chef and/or owner is one major ******* - I heard he even had a guy apprentice under him for no pay for a few years. But I guess this is inline with some of the other most expensive resort type things. The most expensive one the US is owned by a billionaire that can't make money on it when people pay $60k for a weekend, they cheat employees on wages and make them live squaller, steal their tips over $20, and then buy $250k rugs for the place...

o.jpg

I love Thai food, but despite the lack of Tofu, I'm not sure that it doesn't all have soy sauce... I just wouldn't go throwing the word fragrance around with it. Aroma? That I can see.

Last edited:
I dunno...

I just wouldn't go throwing the word fragrance around with it. Aroma? That I can see.

Partially semantics I would describe Thai basil as fragrant rather than just having a smell. I associate perfume with a specific binding of extracts with things like ambergris, no food gets that intense flowery smell by simply throwing in the ingredients. And then there is durian. :)

I have some Basil Hummus in the fridge... can't wait to get home to eat that, mmmm.

There's a local restaurant here that makes a ginger lime mint soda, their signature non-alcohol drink, purely from scratch. They grow their own mint and man does it ever have flavor like you can't get from the store packaged stuff...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
To elaborate, locked rotor measurement of Rs vs frequency vs location.

Here is some data from a cheap 3.8inch cone car driver with a 5.4oz ceramic magnet.
gap height=2.6mm
coil height=3.5mm (slightly overhang)
coil inner diameter=15mm
paper coil former

If there is something else you want me to do with this humble motor, do not hesitate to ask it :)

George

PS. For those who can take some more cello work YouTube

Attachments

• 1rear.JPG
    1rear.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 269
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    879.2 KB · Views: 274
  • coil on air.JPG
    coil on air.JPG
    901.8 KB · Views: 267
  • diag1.PNG
    diag1.PNG
    58.3 KB · Views: 302
  • diag2.PNG
    diag2.PNG
    59 KB · Views: 287
  • diag3.PNG
    diag3.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 63
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I dunno...

I love Thai food, but despite the lack of Tofu, I'm not sure that it doesn't all have soy sauce... I just wouldn't go throwing the word fragrance around with it. Aroma? That I can see.

It does not. Very few dishes use soy. Fish and oyster sauce is most common with Thai's. When soy is used, it is a small amount -- like a spoon full.

Typical menus --- Food in Thailand - Thai Food, Thai Cuisine - traditional, popular, dishes, recipe, diet, history, common, meals, staple

NOTE: American-ized versons of Chinese, Thai etc are not the same as you find in those countries.... with only a few exceptions.

-RM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.