John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know adequate for what? Most of the time here is spent arguing about how "text book" theories don't help design for the "best" sound. Is there a book of theories on that, I mean theories in the classic sense?

I did fall asleep in Millie Desselhaus' quantum mechanics class and I'm sure that's part of my problem.

Adequate enough to explain the Bybees!

So you also agree Tryphon the blind, ears only no instruments test is the final arbiter?
It's really unbearable, every time we talk, here, of 'perceptions' to be accused of denying any scientific approach by religious objectivists.
Think twice. Measuring instruments are just a prolongation of *our senses*. Science, an "observation" of the universe as we perceive-it, and the explanation of the observed phenomenons with the logic of *our minds*.
As what we can observe is just across the little windows of our senses, we try to extend them as much as we can in the invisible, by the help of the technology. Calculations are just an other form of observation. But, don't you think all this is very "subjective, limited, transient ? And that, may-be in five hundred years, the humains will laugh of our actual "believes" ?
Some scientists pretend we only know a very little part of the universe. You know, dark matter ;-)
This said, I believe we could agree on many things, Tournesol the blind and Scott Wurser the deaf ;-)

Last edited:
Has anyone ever compared the polystyrene RTX to a Russian mil-spec K71-4/5 by chance?

How do you mean "compared"? Stated value/tolerance/dimensions vs measured? Overall appearance? Construction quality? What parameters do you want to compare? ESR? ESL? DA? DF? Voltage coefficient? Temperature coefficient?

PS: No I have never measured any of these quantities of any capacitors, I tend to rely on data sheets for that.

Last edited:
Music is an art. And the systems we build to reproduce-it are designed for the pleasure of our senses. Mainly audition.
So about the "final arbiter, it seems logic to can judge the accuracy of this make believe game by US. (What we perceive is highly processed by our brains. And, Scott, I'm not even sure that you and me perceive the same way.

Let-me try an image. Do you think we can judge the emotion that can carry a painting with a microscope and a spectroscope ?

Last edited:
How do you mean "compared"? Stated value/tolerance/dimensions vs measured?
Overall appearance? Construction quality? What parameters do you want to compare?
ESR? ESL? DA? DF? Voltage coefficient? Temperature coefficient? PS: No I have never
measured any of these quantities of any capacitors, I tend to rely on data sheets for that.

Of course he means the sound quality.

How do you mean "compared"? Stated value/tolerance/dimensions vs measured? Overall appearance? Construction quality? What parameters do you want to compare? ESR? ESL? DA? DF? Voltage coefficient? Temperature coefficient?

PS: No I have never measured any of these quantities of any capacitors, I tend to rely on data sheets for that.

Compared as in listened to them. I know, it's a very unpopular concept.

So in 100 years we have learned nothing about quantum physics?

We learn how little we know everyday! That way we can pay more and more people to prove how little we know.

I must admit that I have been rather lazy lately and not tried different power cords, perhaps I should, especially with my OPPO 105 that doesn't quite do it right yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Buy a different DAC first. Hell, I bet Marsh would even send you a Benchmark.

This "fight" is for big money. If they were $20 each I could care less. They are not, they are substantially more than that, and that becomes theft.
-Chris

If you can't refrain from buying things it is not theft. But in that case I have a bridge to sell you, guaranteed to improve sound.

Of course he means the sound quality.

But what does that even mean whe talking about two capacitors? Capacitors don't have "sound quality", circuits do.

We know that people (not "trained listeners" but regular people) can detect and react to overall loudness differences on the order of 0.1dB. There is good evidence that people can also detect and react to similar level differences over a range of frequencies, say an octave or two. So filters that produce a FR change of 0.1dB over some part of the audble spectrum are regularly detected by careful listeners, though they might identify the difference many different ways. They will almost never identify the difference as a level or FR difference: they will almost always identify the difference as a "quality" difference.

OK, so given the above, we can predict what effect an "ideal" capacitor will have in a particular location in a particular circuit. Before we can even begin to compare the "sound" of two caps in that location we need to ensure that they both have the same value, under those operating conditions, so that their effect on FR is the same within 0.1 dB. Assuming for a moment that we have done all that (which I have never seen done in any "capacitor shootout") we can then also analyze how metrics like voltage and temperature coefficients can affect the actual capacitance value, and we can start to evaluate the effects of DA and DF on how closely our real capacitor resembles the ideal.

Or, we could just put two different 10% tolerance capacitors in the same circuit (one before and one after lunch) then tell the world, with great authority, what amazing and subtle differences we heard between the two caps.

Last edited:
But what does that even mean whe talking about two capacitors?
Capacitors don't have "sound quality", circuits do.

Actually only complete audio systems, along with the recording and room, do.
But the context was clear. And, two seemingly equivalent capacitors have,
in my experience, indeed resulted in differing qualities of sound.

Last edited:
There's nothing to explain, if you looked inside you would feel very foolish claiming otherwise.

I've seen what's inside. Look, I'm no fool. I know the info is purposely vague from the manufacturer to keep the mystery alive. For whatever reason that may be. Or for what ever reason that you think it may be. And I'm not that interested in the resistor part. But it is housed in a conductive tube, wrapped in soft conductive material, and doped. From what I understand, some or all of this material is quantum.

Now do you deny that quantum materials exist? The big question is wether quantum materials affect electronics in any way and our human perception of sound? Quantum mechanics is pure magic. There's no better way to explain it. And it's fundamental to the entire Universe.

I heard the darn Bybees myself and heard a clear difference. And that difference was not comparable to just using a 0.025 Ohm resistor. I'm convinced that the conductive outer material has an additional impact. Why and how, I have no idea.

SY did a very basic test. It didn't show anything special, but knowing how he was going to test, did anyone expect it to? The real legitimate test would have been to test the cocoon material so see if it's actually quantum. That would have been a good first step.

The definitive kind of test needed for a quantum part like that has not been invented yet. So you smart people please get to work.

And therefore discussion continues and will continue.

Last edited:
But what does that even mean whe talking about two capacitors?
Capacitors don't have "sound quality", circuits do./QUOTE]

Actually only complete audio systems, along with the recording and room, do.
But the context was clear. And two seemingly equivalent capacitors have
in my experience indeed resulted in differing qualities of sound.

And there was no measurable difference in their properties or response? You measured their values (C and R and L) to verify they were the same within, say, 1%? You looked at their coefficients and operating points? If they really matched that closely on all major parameters, then to what do you attribute the difference? Do you think it came down to things like construction quality and microphonics? Do you have some other explanation for the observed difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.