John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max, Two of the the best EE's I ever knew are females. Also I know some damn good recording engineers that are female. You need a transporter to 1950.

Where I got my EE degree, 1971-1975, there were 2 (two) female students out of a thousand or so in the whole school. Nowaday, you can find more even distribution in computer science, but still not in EE.

The termination R is about settling time and loading induced RF and reducing RF ingress........Bateman mentioned RF ingress getting through output L/Zobel and getting to feedback point.
What could well be a 100 Ohms extra ​​load at HF if your tweeter has already been properly compensated by an RC network to present a constant impedance of 6 Ohms (For a 8 Ohm speaker)?

Last edited:
Hmmm. :scratch2: Anybody think Evenharmonics might be in the audio business? You know, manufacturing ABX systems? He is always trying to promote his audio business on the sly! :nownow:
Perhaps I should mention Evenharmonics is on my ignore list.
You reading my post (when it's not quoted by others) while I'm on your ignore list, how does that work? :scratch1:

You reading my post (when it's not quoted by others) while I'm on your ignore list, how does that work? :scratch1:
I read and reread and I did not find, in this highly informative message that Google will keep for future generations, the slightest trace of "Sighted listening, DBT, Level Matched". Neither the slightest allusion to the great plot of the snake oil merchants who have invaded the forum.
YouTube

A miracle seems to have happened !

...It seems that a new idea ( Are 3 not too much ?) slowly penetrates your cerebral cortex:
How contributors that have put you in their ignore list can they read you ?
I think Killroy should be held into the interrogation room. (Oh, sorry, he's already there?)

Last edited:
Hi everybody! I am again going to give 'The secret to my success as an audio designer.'
First, as most already know is:
(1) Good circuit design. Make it a relatively simple thru-path, balanced (if possible and practical) and Class A.
(2) Excellent device layout. Use an expert if possible.
(3) Sonically chosen parts, partly by materials analysis, partly by open listening.

It takes all 3 to make a really good audio product. Everything else is compromised.

Don't believe that double blind testing is really necessary. It isn't, and it throws away a good deal of audio quality sensitivity, in order to achieve its 'objectivity. Just listen for yourself or trust someone you know who is more sensitive to these things. Wives hearing a difference from the other room qualify for this. Remember, it is your choice to have a better hi fi than average.

Hi John! How do you tell if a difference is better? Is better another word for more accurate or real in your book? Someone said you do/did a test similar to Richard's, is that right? Please give just a little bit more.....

Attachments

• questions.jpg
    questions.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 298
I find when I do a guest lecture it is running around 20% women in electrical engineering undergraduate courses. A bit higher in graduate ones.

Good for you!
Until 2018, I sat in the panel of jury to assess and grade thesis, and ladies are a clear minority, less than 10%; I don't recall seeing any at all last year. All the while, my former employers were freaking out because they couldn't fulfill their quota of M/F ratio. :)

but it does sadden me that you don't get the idea that folks are having fun doing this stuff.
No time for fun. He means business.
I read and reread and I did not find, in this highly informative message that Google will keep for future generations, the slightest trace of "Sighted listening, DBT, Level Matched". Neither the slightest allusion to the great plot of the snake oil merchants who have invaded the forum.
YouTube

A miracle seems to have happened !

...It seems that a new idea ( Are 3 not too much ?) slowly penetrates your cerebral cortex:
How contributors that have put you in their ignore list can they read you ?
I think Killroy should be held into the interrogation room. (Oh, sorry, he's already there?)
What on earth are you talking about, have you finally lost it entirely?

Good for you!
Until 2018, I sat in the panel of jury to assess and grade thesis, and ladies are a clear minority, less than 10%; I don't recall seeing any at all last year. All the while, my former employers were freaking out because they couldn't fulfill their quota of M/F ratio. :)

Ed's ratio was pretty close to what I experienced in undergrad/grad here in the US. It was lower than 20% for my undergrad, but about that where I did my grad work (with me teaching the undergrad course). A higher proportion of the undergrad EE women went to get a MS/PhD, but they also tended to be higher achievers as well, so no surprise.

D. T. & RNM think that they can do that.
You defame another contributor. You will have to justify your accusations with convincing evidence.
Did he sell you anything? In what did he fool you?
No need to do the same for the first person you cited: he sells his election and "fake" informations have been demonstrated by thousands all over the world.

I have another question for you. Could you explain why just reading these three letters: CFA puts you, each time, in a state of uncontrolled rage ?

This is exactly your type of attitude that I find unacceptable on a public forum.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that could be verified. In private he spoke of audiophilia in quite colorful terms.
Yes, it was written, Bob Pease was investigating it or going to investigate
it (the audible different between the plastic and the can. I was surprised
that I read it. Was it in Jim Williams book? However, that was the one
criticism about audiophile that Bob had to reckon with, because he
heard it too, and it started to bug him...

...we all know how that goes...but still he posited some theories and
was going about cogitating on how he would prove what he heard
and why.

@Demian, I was going to ask you something about the room or
the amp devices they used, the last upgraded batch before Ti bought
them out and liquidated them in favor of BurrBrown.

As an aside, which amps do most people prefer?
Those from National?
Those from BurrBrown?

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.