John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe such opinions are a prerequisite for entering the High End Audio business. Without them, nobody could even hope to be successful.

Interesting question, anybody heard of a successful (not to say famous) audio designer with a normal, humble human being hearing, and ready to admit it? None around, as far as I can tell... except perhaps Nelson Pass?

Yes, I know a few. Some make really good products.

Mainly pro audio designers but they definitely do not rely solely on measurements, listening is the major part of the process.

TCD

Mainly pro audio designers but they definitely do not rely solely on measurements, listening is the major part of the process.

Interesting, pro audio is not High End Audio (which is essentially consumer oriented). Pro audio is in my book mostly about controlling sound (like adding controlled amounts of distortions to a guitar amp), so audio reproduction accuracy is not necessary the main goal. As such, I would be the first to accept that listening is an essential part of pro audio development. I’d rather trust Geordi Walker’s ears when tuning his guitar amp than a good EE with an oscilloscope.

Otherwise said, “sounds better” has completely different connotation in pro audio and High End Audio. The pro audio “sounds better” is by no means necessary correlated with “high fidelity” like the High End Audio crowd usually claims.

Last edited:

TCD

Of course everyone listens. The problem is where you get people claiming that their own personal listening experiences are absolute truths without any evidence. Often, there are another set of so-called subjectivists people on this very forum that feel the exact opposite way.

There's always the opportunity to prove it with a properly set up (blind) experiment, but it never happens. Either it's too much work or there is much handwaving about differences disappearing in blind tests.

If the difference is as dramatic as the descriptions usually are, it should be no problem to pick it out blind. If you can't pick it without peeking, then it's either truly inaudible or at least insignificant.

Last edited:
Well, everyone (including you) already knew what he meant, whether or not he confused which part number was a negative version.

No. I read the part number that was there at first and then decided to reply using the quote button a few to several seconds later. I did not check the part number again after the first read. I only tell you this out of courtesy, since I know Ovidiu will probably try to take advantage of any opportunity presented. Whatever he says in response to this is on you, since it wouldn't have happened otherwise. Remember, I have only been giving him a slight dose of his own medicine so you don't need to protect him.

Last edited:
Tidal uses MQA. GRRRRR....

I remain convinced that Meridian and everyone involved know it's BS but prefer to make money. Tidal needs a differentiating feature to stay afloat otherwise there is zero reason to use their service compared to the actual big players.

It's also really easy to show true differences in blind tests when you mess with the data and levels. As an example, I am sure many people could pick out the HDCD version of Tool's Lateralus in a blind test because of the different levels.

Last edited:
If the difference is as dramatic as the descriptions usually are, it should be no problem to pick it out blind. If you can't pick it without peeking, then it's either truly inaudible or at least insignificant.

You haven't been following PMA's latest thread? He could hear a difference, but succeeding with ABX was not so easy.

Audio design often involves fixing a number of very small audible problems until a substantial improvement eventually results. Its harder than you might imagine.

I sent him some files, ones that PMA created. (Also sent him instructions for getting started with Reaper.) I asked him to describe the differences between the files. He did so in great detail, although I wondered if he might have heard more than there really was. Can't say for sure on that latter point, but he heard real differences to my own satisfaction.
Or maybe my system is revealing some stuff that yours is not ?, and certainly I am listening differently (as we all do) and picking up stuff that I know about and know the sound of and know what to listen out for because of my experimentations, much of it fast AB switching the degree to which and nature of which none of you have done, guaranteed.
Yesterday I got back to a quick listen to PMA's two sets of files as promised and today I will try to make time and listen closer and report on what I hear and why I have preferences.
Probably there is some more going on where he is than we know about. He seems to have some enablers around him. By his voice I guess that he is not a small man, and from his description of bicycling to work I imagine he is in aerobic shape. Those things and a willingness to invite people he feels are dissing him out to the parking lot can have untoward effects on people's honesty around him.
The 'car park boogie' reference was a joke and was finally calling out the repeated aggressions of others, I would be the last to actually do that, funny how things get interpreted and remembered incorrectly, dare I say interpretations and memories can be biased.
Hey, I am average size and build and fitness, if I sound as you describe then that is because I am relaxed internally and comfortable in my knowledge, count me as a tree hugging, grass walking hippie empath with only good intentions for the future of all, firstly my sons and then your sons......the likes of belief systems, 5G and tech is driving some of us to become totally separated from mother earth and earth energies and this shows so strongly in the nature of so many of the posts by so many here, so sad.
I once spoke with a 40yo woman from central Tokyo who said she had never seen the moon rise and she had never heard silence before moving to Perth, for her this was a revelation....how many in the world only see through an LCD and hear through speakers and never get to experience the natural world, how many only know the world bathed in and surrounded by only man made sonic and radiations noise and have never experienced natural stillness and calmness ?, and what does that do to the psyche ?....no need to answer, this is already abundantly clear.
Of course, he can quickly switch to being quite charming if happy or some need for charm. If he asks someone if two files sound different it could be people can tell from the tone of his voice what the answer is supposed to be. Miraculously, everyone hears it just as Dan says, so they say anyway when he's around.
Nah, sorry to shoot this one down, subjects consistently report same subjective findings and without prompting or coaching or 'charm' from me........."if more than one person hears it then it's real" and I find surprisingly those with no interest in audio systems or audio electronics are the fastest and most accurate, to them audio systems are a black box like a toaster is a black box, all they care about is the clarity of the sound in the room and they have no prior belief systems to skew their hearing.
Even better is that my system on appearances is typical and familiar to these kinds of subjects, a black box receiver in a wooden rack off to the side and tall floor standing black box speakers and a black box sub, nothing esoterical looking about it.
When the volume nudges up from mute up then suddenly it's a whole new listening experience, it can take a minute for them to get a handle on what they are hearing which is fundamentally different to what they have ever heard before and out of a perfectly typical looking stereo.
My quest and trials with various subjects proves to me that economical and 'standard' audio systems are sufficient as per theory and Rload measurements, however the clarity of and enjoyment factor of such systems in real usage is nobbled by particular noise mechanisms that can be easily and willfully ameliorated and that the method is suitable for universal application and is universally preferred, and thankfully, yes I do have one degree of separation to contacts who can take this knowledge to universal application.

I might add that if the above story is false, no doubt I have things wrong since I have constructed a story based on my very limited observations including a small number of phone calls with Dan. Yet, its the closest thing I can think of.
Haha, we build images, who hasn't built a relationship with someone over the phone and then get to meet them and find out the truth was different to the illusion we had constructed ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.