John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say person A went amplifier shopping and picked a $300 amp which he/she was able to consistently pick out as the best sounding one in a DBT.

Person B spent $300 on an oil filled silver capacitor, which due to the so called human bias, made a similar improvement as did the amplifier to person A.

Do you understand what is the difference between matters on the order of one yocto vs other matters on the order of one yotta before you try to make a case of them being a reasonably comparable?

edit:
If the brain is tricked to the point of not being able to differentiate bias from no bias, then all is good for both shoppers.

Sounds to me the seller is making up a moral excuse to go ahead and scam customers.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ridikas,
No, a DBT is anything but a bias. It is like a safety net for people to guard against making a decision based on what others think whose interest is in selling one item over another. Salespeople do it all the time. I used to be in sales, so I am well aware of the science behind making a person desire one product over another. Much of it non-verbal and not obvious.

Still, the person with the amplifier has two channels and the capacitor was only one. So the person with the amplifier has stereo and the capacitor buyer has mono. If he needed an amplifier he can't even listen to his capacitor. Then there is the very real problem of being able to insure it to its full value. I'm sorry, but the $300 amplifier is more believable to an insurance company. Lastly, that amplifier just might have a number of those same capacitors inside it with a different name on them. :)

I find that single expensive parts that are designed for the audio market are either way over-priced, or they tend to be inferior to the very good industrial capacitors that I buy and use. I just got finished testing a some audiophile approved capacitors and was surprised at how bad one of the popular brands was. If I measured one of my caps and got those readings, that part would be labeled as defective. I kid you not, and that part was both huge for it's value and looked as if it was made in someone's garage or basement.

I think that looking for an audiophile approved capacitor is about the same as wearing a "SUCKER" sign on your back. If these parts were as good as they say they are, the military and science folks would use them - in quantity. I have yet to see any precision electronics that use "Wonder-caps" or any other like brand. You should think about that long and hard. There are some capacitors the industrial and military use that are expensive. Wet-slug tantalum capacitors. They are extremely good, and way back in the 70's and perhaps 60's, Marantz used them in some of their amplifiers. They probably run $30 ~ $60 each in US funds. If the audiophile community was truly after the best parts, these would have been on the list for ages now.

-Chris

The final authority on any audio related component are human ears and what they hear.

I think you mean "brains". The wetware between the ears is where all the hearing happens. The ears are just two of many inputs, and not particularly sensitive transducers.

Why don't you guys focus this energy into engineering better sounding gear.

Why don't you... oh never mind.

On this subject-

I recently was doing some listening with someone diagnosed on the autistic spectrum.

It made me question a lot of assumptions I had about the way different people hear. I think perhaps some of it could have implications for the general population. As was said above, the ears aren’t the only thing doing the “hearing”.

Thread here:

Edit: whoops left it out:
Autism and Responses to Auditory Stimuli

Further reading:

A sound advantage: Increased auditory capacity in autism - ScienceDirect

What Do We Know about Noise Sensitivity in Autism? | Interactive Autism Network

https://www.asha.org/Events/convent...ith-Autism-Auditory-and-Language-Differences/

Other interesting, perhaps relevant sensory research I heard on an NPR show:

The Green You See Is Not The Green You See : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

Last edited:
For discussion's sake, here's a little twist... Why are you guys so against the so called bias? Isn't bias a part of being human? Our entire existence and every decision we make in life is influenced by bias. Let's take an example:

Let's say person A went amplifier shopping and picked a $300 amp which he/she was able to consistently pick out as the best sounding one in a DBT.

Person B spent $300 on an oil filled silver capacitor, which due to the so called human bias, made a similar improvement as did the amplifier to person A.

Which person made the better purchase and why?

Why develop drug compounds when we can just get placebos then? /s

Your entire argument is absurd and incompletely reasoned.

I think we'll all know more when we know more about quantum physics.

I think my snooker game will improve one I figure out a few quantum adjustments.

I would love to know just what you think you know about QM, and how it relates to audio reproduction. Do you think that there are people who know more than you do about quantum mechanics? If so, have you asked any of them about QM applications in audio?

That is good stuff Richard...okay now, where are the schematics and figures
from the article? Now you got me thinking again and we all know how
that goes, LOL.

Interesting that scope in the pictures reminds me of the "former"
Vectorscopes use din TV studios, production trucks, and post production houses. I'm thinking the "brains" are in the box foreground, while the
inventor brains are the authors. Imagine that!

Somewhere in the prior posts you showed us the SCM Scope. Is that used
with this brains box? or was it placed all in the SMC Scope?

For some reason my brain didn't reference coax speaker with duplex
speaker. However though the UREI speaker's and time aligned, eventually
changed to use JBLs and a different duplex driver because even back then
they were addressing listening and function issues which were resolved
with the UREI 813B I believe. So they finally got it "right".

Cheers,

Good News Dept --

We are at the point now where we can accomplish some fantastic things for increased accurate sound.
From my first RTA concept published in 1977, I learned that you can really only EQ the direct field sound ... reverb time, room modes, reflection and peaks and nulls caused by the room will have to be addressed some other ways.

View attachment 677943
View attachment 677944

Now we can get close to doing this ---> compare the audio signal going into the PAmp with that at the mic/listening position and 'correct' it to be same as input signal via DSP and SW.

How cool is that?

THx-RNMarsh

As usual you have to be more specific, do you mean DC or at some higher frequency and what do you mean by PSRR. If you mean I change the power supply by 1V and get less than 1mV referred to input error yes every day in fact -120dB is easy. BTW the PSRR of a power supply is a nonsense, unless you are talking power supply output vs mains voltage. LIGO managed -180dB.

Jeez we're off to the races again.

The buss structure at LIGO

Scott,

The discussion was on power cord effects. So we would be talking about a change in the AC power line to the output of the power supply. In theory we would be looking at unlimited bandwidth. For practical reasons 500 megahertz should be enough. Just to be sure EMI ingress doesn't change operating points somewhere in the circuitry.

From looking at power amplifiers in real world large scale systems EMI (local radio stations or even scoreboard video displays) coming in on loudspeaker lines can significantly affect audio power amplifiers. So while 500 may be excessive, 100 ish has popped up on rare ocasions. AM stations at 1 megahertz are often a significant issue.

The common measurement of step loading a power supply and seeing the output change is not the issue here. Although a thorough examination of that versus frequency has shown design issues in some products. There was a pro studio gizmo that had issues with the power supply low Q resonance around 8,000 hertz. Popular with some folks! In frequency response measurements it showed up as less than a 1 dB tilt. Ignored by many on the scale of the presented graph.

Again, Burblebees should only be discussed on April first. If someone reminds me in time next year I will post the measurements comparing one in series with DC, sine waves and pseudo-random noise under different power levels.

I did splurge for a large one.

I may also be able to include the results of an actual blind listening test. But in my experience such tests take quite a bit of time and effort.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi ridikas,

I find that single expensive parts that are designed for the audio market are either way over-priced, or they tend to be inferior to the very good industrial capacitors that I buy and use. -Chris

REL-CAP brand/mfr is used by well known LCR meter manufacturer for stability and they use in QA/QC to test finished instruments .. as a standard.

If you are looking for a truly high perf cap rather than audio hyped part. .

-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.