John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Ohm's law says that for a given substance/item the current and voltage are proportional i.e. the ratio between current and voltage is a constant.

During my university years, which is really long ago (I graduated 40 years ago), we learned much wider form of the Ohm's law, than you are suggesting. To prevent incorrectness, please find it attached as a snapshot.

J=sigma*E (sometimes called generalized Ohm's law) where no assumptions is made about sigma (can be a function any number of variables, including V) was eventually introduced, following Ohm, if memory serves, by Kirchoff.

It is not part of the fundamental EM field Maxwell equations, in either microscopic, macroscopic or covariant formulations. However, it is fundamental in any approach to study charge transport, being as fundamental as D=eps*E or B=u*H. Materials with sigma, eps, u all constant (so J=sigma*E is exactly the Ohm law as S7*10^3 loves to believe) are usually called LIH (Linear, Isotropic, Homogeneous) materials, a pretty rough approximation in many cases.

The three material laws above are not the consequence of any more general EM field laws (at least in the frame of the Maxwell theory). They are all postulated and therefore independent.

Whether to consider R=U/I the one and only "Ohm law" is kind of a personal option. I don't, and prefer to call J=sigme*E "Ohm law" and think of the R=U/I as a local version of the Ohm law (that is, in an infinitesimal small vicinity).

Last edited:
They just circulate in the shunt networks, they don't go away.
Yes, I stated exactly this quite a few pages back.
Remember we are now allowed an ideal voltage amplifier not some SET amp.
Yes, but no return energy means no return energy, thus amplifier type becomes essentially irrelevant. Speaker flatter FR for high output resistance amplifier is a bonus in addition to the improved clarity due to removal of amp/cable/speaker circulating energies.

Does the shunted R act as a short to remove unwanted return energy?
Yes, the return energy is transduced in the RC resistor and converted to heat. (a perfect short cannot convert electrical energy to heat energy) The usual situation is that the amplifier has to deal with this return energy, my experience is that amplifiers sound cleaner and run cooler with resistive load/no return energy.

Last edited:
So dan, every bit of energy is absorbed by the speaker and the amp is now ‘smart’ in the sense it predicts the amount of energy required?
Edit... that would also mean if there is excess it’s stored in circulation?
Yes, the loudspeaker assy (drivers/crossovers/networks) absorbs all energy presented to it and none is returned back to the amplifier..

The drivers do return the voice coil magnetically stored energy but this is passively 'caught' in the RC networks and prevented from traveling up the speaker line and being 'synthetically' caught in the amplifier output stage. IOW excess energy circulates between drivers and networks and is dissipated in the R component of drivers and networks and so no return energy gets to the amp.

Last edited:
You want the RC network across the crossover input...ie any circulating currents are kept within the loudspeaker box.
You need to impedance sweep the box to determine/calculate the values....6R or so in series with 0.47uF or so is a start, use polypropylene with polystyrene shunt.

Dan.

Just happen to have those in stock! R>C from + side? + 6r>0.47uf -

Last edited:
The order of the R and the C is not critical, just keep both channels the same/identical...maybe modifying one channel only is best for initial test/comparison purposes.
With those external crossovers with twist connects this should take you but a few minutes, let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
The loudspeaker input parallel local notworks that compensate/EQ the crossover/transducer reactive load characteristic also set a defined source impedance for the loudspeaker which means that the crossovers/acoustic output is invariant according to amplifier/cable resistance and frequency.
No. Repeating Joe's idea in your own words does not make them become true.

PMA said:
During my university years, which is really long ago (I graduated 40 years ago), we learned much wider form of the Ohm's law, than you are suggesting. To prevent incorrectness, please find it attached as a snapshot.
The relativistic version of Ohm's law (which I don't remember seeing before) still assumes proportionality/linearity.

syn08 said:
J=sigma*E (sometimes called generalized Ohm's law) where no assumptions is made about sigma (can be a function any number of variables, including V) was eventually introduced, following Ohm, if memory serves, by Kirchoff.

It is not part of the fundamental EM field Maxwell equations, in either microscopic, macroscopic or covariant formulations. However, it is fundamental in any approach to study charge transport, being as fundamental as D=eps*E or B=u*H. Materials with sigma, eps, u all constant (so J=sigma*E is exactly the Ohm law as S7*10^3 loves to believe) are usually called LIH (Linear, Isotropic, Homogeneous) materials, a pretty rough approximation in many cases.
D=eps*E, B=u*H are not very fundamental. They are similar to Ohm's law in that respect, being summaries of how some materials behave.

I never realised that there was so much confusion about such a simple point. Ohm's law is true for ohmic materials. An ohmic material is one for which Ohm's law is true, to a considerable extent i.e. voltage and current are approximately proportional. A non-ohmic material is one for which Ohm's law is not true. If, as some seem to be saying, Ohm's law is simply an equation with a ratio which is not necessarily constant then how do you define ohmic? Ohm's law becomes a name for an equation instead of a name for a common phenomenon. Maybe people have misused this name for so long that now the new usage has become accepted as the correct usage? I was never happy with this approach to language, as it legitimises confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.