John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wet slug tantalum caps are very expensive already
Cheaper than Bybees and come with a proper spec sheet, surely ideal for high end audio?

and do not tolerate reverse voltage on them. None at all.
For the application I am thinking of this would be impossible in normal operation and if I actually got to that point it would be due to me doing something really really daft so would be my own fault.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
And you worked in hard science, no wonder folks think the Apollo landings were faked.

Yep. For 23 years. In high-energy physics at LLNL, we never had to deal with opinions and guesses and perceptional issues. We would measure. The concept I used to illustrate human perception of aspirin in relation to listening etal is just as valid as any hard science when there are significant numbers of people telling you same things.

As far as I know, there is not always a hard science answer at any given moment re perceptions. Maybe later it is explained in the way you like to see it done. In the absence of such hard science methodoloy and data that always give correct answere, we can start somewhere - like what we hear in common.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
The concept I used to illustrate human perception of aspirin in relation to listening etal is just as valid as any hard science when there are significant numbers of people telling you same things.
Probably only you and Merrill understand exactly what that means to you. To me, I say it's still a poor analogy. Of course you are talking about "the concept"
now, so that may or may not make it more valid, my vote is not.

Yep. For 23 years. At LLNL, we never had to deal with opinions and guesses and perceptional issues. We would measure. The concept I used to illustrate human perception of aspirin in relation to listening etal is just as valid as any hard science when there are significant numbers of people telling you same things.

As far as I know, there is not always a hard science answer at any given moment re perceptions. Maybe later it is explained in the way you like to see it done. In the absence of such hard science methodoloy and data that always give correct answere, we can start somewhere - like what we hear in common.

THx-RNMarsh

Except there aren't significant numbers of people telling you anything in audio. They are all saying different things. The only people that "agree" have been socialized to agree. Kind of like the nuts that manage to convince their entire communities that local cell phone towers are causing all kinds of physical symptoms.

Prone to HF EMI interference, with intermodulation into audio band.

Yes it is but in this case there is more than adequate filtering. A really nice design not just for its' age but even for today. Transformers on the input were used, out of fashion today but quite acceptable with the good ones used.

In my surveillance microphone design I use a similar opamp. A 100 ohm resistor and small capacitor reduce pickup in the finished product to almost unmeasurable even using my test cell which is basically a section of transmission line.

Scott,

I am not planning to change the gain structure. So even after the first gain stage the opamps will all significantly contribute. Yes some more than others to the noise. Not familiar with distortion dominated by the first gain stage.

For those not around when the 5532 was introduced many tried drop in upgrades to find out without proper bypassing and circuit layout it would oscillate. It had a much higher gain bandwidth product than most prior chips.

Last edited:
LME49720 / LM4562 is the closest thing to a modern drop-in I think. Probably not worth it, though.

Until they oscillate in the 5532 place. The decision to swap opamps in an existing equipment is not trivial and way too often taken by unqualified technicians looking to "improve" an existing design (where there's really nothing to improve, of course).

BTY I need to thank Jan. The module that was in really bad shape was replaced by one we found on the internet in Holland. Price was quite low but shipping was quoted as extremely high. So we had it shipped to Jan who was kind enough to mail it to us. All told about 100E for the two modules purchased total. Shipping was a bit more than 60E of the total!

Well i’ve Spent the past yr learning everything I could about passive crossover design (both research and experimentation) and many contradictory findings as compared with accepted procedure .....one being different crossover components (although same values) do indeed sound different from one another. The supposedly ‘better’ components did not always take the prize. And as mentioned the differences are subtle.....so subtle that most can only be distinguished at high volume (over 100db @ lp) But once identified it (most of the time) also made a difference at lower levels. The speakers I tested with were capable of 105db (avg) @ lp with peaks up to 114db while still keeping composure. Testing at these levels usually only involved one or two songs or even just snippets for fear of hearing damage (managed unscathed)
I dedicated close to a thousand hours testing/evaluating, even making some crude fr and level measurements. I’m glad I did this as I found the end result is dependent on the system as a whole not seperate components. From the source to the room it all must ‘match’ together.

I really don’t see much talk about this holism aspect?

What would be really interesting is to have real time (recorded) system analysis while testing with music.

I’d like to continue further into the hobby but much of my ability lies in my listening skills which seems as though that’s gonna be a long row to hoe.

I don’t have the funds to put into test equipment what I really need is to find someone in my area that has the electronics skills I lack and that might benefit from my woodworking and speaker building experience.

What it costs today for Tantalum wet slug caps: Is it worth it? If so, for what?

Attachments

• Picture 149.png
    Picture 149.png
    498.5 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.