John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is it really easier to make a good recording than good playback, though? I'm not sure on this. Mic inputs or any high gain input should perform worse than a line-level output circuit near unity gain. I suppose it matters if we are talking digital or vinyl. For digital, the ADC performance is not as good as the DAC performance when comparing similarly priced parts as well.

I find this to be one of the things that make no sense to me; people will complain about the sound of op-amps in a preamp while praising their favorite design... which has been tested by playing back a recording that's been passed through dozens of NE5532s or worse in production.
In my experience and confirmed by two semi vendors the best ADC's usually perform better than the best DAC's. I have no idea why.

Maybe you were thinking of one of the other biases?

I understand/understood your concerns. Bob was the main audience.
Every English native speakers know what 'bias' is. The word is used in many books unrelated with Psychology. I found it used in Engineering books too. The main 'meaning' of the word is 'unfair opinion', 'prejudice'.
But I wanted to stress that I was referring to the 'Psychological bias' (I might have used these words if it crossed my mind) by stating an example (a popular one is 'expectation' bias). But I needed to stress that i was not talking about expectation bias either, so i used parenthesis. The parenthesis followed by 'e.g.' should have covered my intention, i thought.

The parenthesis followed by 'e.g.' should have covered my intention, i thought.

Its not you in particular. There seems to be common misunderstanding about use of the term 'expectation bias' as it applies to the science of human perception among some EEs interested in audio. It would be good we could correct that before the problem becomes too widespread, is all. Your cooperation in that effort would be very much appreciated of course :)

Last edited:
Bob,

To me the first question I ask myself is "how long can I listen to this system before I begin to loose interest and want to do something else.....(to be continued)

This is very much my experience.

For example, so far I haven't had a Sabre based DAC through that I wanted to *really listen to for an extended period of time, that includes a big $ Accu*. They usually bowl you over with detail etc but in the long term, there is something not right.

In contrast, a PCM1704 (multibit) based DAC came through for mods, JLsounds USB bridge etc. I dug through a big part of the CD collection over quite a few days. Continually engaged and impressed.

I'd say this is the sort of digital John C would probably like.

T

I think it's the improvisation in raga I enjoy the most and the way the accompanist echoes the singer
Though I listen, my understanding of Indian Classical is extremely basic. But whatever little I know An indian classical singer has liberty to improve. Provided he/she is very talented and experienced. Just as Jazz music has improvisation indian classical performer can improvise things based on raga. Think of 'Raga' as a mould (Structure) an artist can improve its rhythm (tala) and scale (Up and down) and give his own performace without abondoning basic structure. Variatons can be infinite. If an artist has not so dynamic voice (comparatively speaking for lack of better word) He/she can still be appreciated by audience if his/her variations are liked by knowledgeable audience. Here is another catch if artist is a Master he can even very slightly change the basic Raga. In a nutshell tremendous possiblities to show mastery, talent and knowledge as a performer.
Regards.

but then a lot of members seem to rely on measurement as their only criteria for judging equipment so if John makes a statement that does not jive with common beliefs, he gets attacked.
It would seem that way if you have bias for JC and the likes.
Not to diminish the importance of measurement there are aspects of sound reproduction that have not been identified
Is it audible to us?

I am likely in the small population being discussed and design for myself, family, and close friends. No profit motive.
Do you design DACs? What about speakers?

A lot of members seem to have a hard time understanding John

I don't think so. It is very hard to take anything he says seriously when he believes in and plugs crap like Bybee Quantum Purifiers.

This is very much my experience.

For example, so far I haven't had a Sabre based DAC through that I wanted to *really listen to for an extended period of time, that includes a big $ Accu*. They usually bowl you over with detail etc but in the long term, there is something not right.

In contrast, a PCM1704 (multibit) based DAC came through for mods, JLsounds USB bridge etc. I dug through a big part of the CD collection over quite a few days. Continually engaged and impressed.

I'd say this is the sort of digital John C would probably like.

T

Don't you think he has listened to a non sigma-delta DAC sometime in the past 25-30 years? They aren't exactly new. He's also expressed preference for high-res 24/96 and up, so I highly doubt PCM1704 will deliver anything he is looking for. He will never like Redbook.

Last edited:
Is that all? You don't have them all in LP/8-track/CD/HD Files?
I don't, but I have to admit over the years I have been quite a fan, saw him 20+ times between 1973 and 1981. Once seeing his bands perform you were spoiled, they were laser precise and incredible. Although his was such a unique outspoken voice, he could be a bit misogynistic, I guess he couldn't totally escape being a product of the times he grew up in. I did a couple of 3-hour memorial radio shows, and if you are a glutton for punishment PM me.

Howie
I'm jealous, never seen him in the flesh. As you say, his bands were incredibly tight, they had to be, working for such a task master :)

Is it really easier to make a good recording than good playback, though? I'm not sure on this.
Rather a sweeping generalisation of mine. :) I don't know enough about digital to comment, but even there, deconstruction is easier than reconstruction? I was thinking at the beginning and the end of the chain for instance, in simplistic terms, a microphone and line amp down to tape is simpler than the recovery at the other end. It struck me when I was a kid and looking at radios and ultimately of course of transmitters, how much simpler the transmitter was, like it's easier to talk than it is to listen. ;):) Don't you love a bad analogy?

Though I listen, my understanding of Indian Classical is extremely basic. But whatever little I know An indian classical singer has liberty to improve. Provided he/she is very talented and experienced. Just as Jazz music has improvisation indian classical performer can improvise things based on raga. Think of 'Raga' as a mould (Structure) an artist can improve its rhythm (tala) and scale (Up and down) and give his own performace without abondoning basic structure. Variatons can be infinite. If an artist has not so dynamic voice (comparatively speaking for lack of better word) He/she can still be appreciated by audience if his/her variations are liked by knowledgeable audience. Here is another catch if artist is a Master he can even very slightly change the basic Raga. In a nutshell tremendous possiblities to show mastery, talent and knowledge as a performer.
Regards.
Thanks, I think that's quite an accurate summing up, it's very much my takeaway from the programs I watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.