John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just brushing through his website it looks like there’s quite a bit of study in the perception of different distortions.

Absolutely. The 5% comment was said on this forum

No it wasn't, OTOH Earl has stated on numerous occasions the days of transparent electronics has come and long gone.
He made the 5% comment on this forum, Mark is aware of it as well

Sorry, I do not have any more time for you. There are many resources online including those I have linked where you can learn. You'll need to if you if you want to sell any digital products alongside your $1000 power cables.

If you do not understand why or how an algorithm can be exercised completely, we are done here.

As I thought - can't answer or explain - just accuse

So here's further explanation from other research explaining the problem

The aforementioned benefit has led to wide-spread use of
delta-sigma modulator based DACs in several applications.
However, their performance is plagued by several problems.
First, in many delta-sigma modulators, the quantization error
suppression within the signal band, B, depends strongly on
the input sequence, x[n]: on its type e.g., a constant input or
a sinusoidal input or a white input, on its variance e.g., large
or small etc. This dependence makes quantitative predictions
about the delta-sigma modulator based DAC difficult and in
many cases unreliable. This is particularly problematic in
the design of practical integrated DACs

It is obvious that those who actually design DACs to full implementation (not just modelling/simulation) know about these issues - others try their well practised BS on forums

Does confirm the modulator is digital for a DAC system.

Sorry I'm not a DAC guy, Martin, Dustin, Barrie Gilbert, and I were talking shortly after the release of the first ESS products. Barrie guessed at some of the issues and smiles were exchanged, they seemed to me to involve analog type issues but it's just outside my experience.

@mm - BTW Martin was sure I could hear them, he never mentioned to me he could not. I had no time to visit their site.

Funny isn't it this definition business? Still nothing from Jakob regarding "emotion" in audio reproduction research

Defining something that involves abstract thought seems fodder for ridicule here......but how else do you move forward?

I thought abstract reasoning was critical in science.....alternatives to the concrete and all that jive?

Defining something that involves abstract thought seems fodder for ridicule here......but how else do you move forward?

I thought abstract reasoning was critical in science.....alternatives to the concrete and all that jive?
You miss my point, for something to be researched it needs first to be defined, that is what Jakob said and I agree, would you rather continue with FUD?

Last edited:
As I thought - can't answer or explain - just accuse

So here's further explanation from other research explaining the problem

It is obvious that those who actually design DACs to full implementation (not just modelling/simulation) know about these issues - others try their well practised BS on forums

I do not have any more time to argue on the internet today, so this will be my final post on this topic. I am going to recap for you so maybe you have a chance at understanding it.

The modulator in the DAC is entirely in the digital domain. It's behavior, including input, output, and all state variables can therefore be tested with arbitrary input signals ALL DAY LONG on a PC if the designers wanted. It is described by math entirely and none of this has anything to do with the 2nd order effects or other crap you came up with. If there is a problem with it, then they did not test it sufficiently.

Regarding the original point of this discussion - I already said several pages ago that what Mallinson says in his presentation is at odds with what JohnW claims. Mallinson is saying their Hyperstream modulator DOES NOT HAVE or reduces those problems that JohnW is claiming. One of them would seem to be wrong or embellishing, I don't know who and nor do I really care.

Literally the only thing you did was Google for the words Sigma Delta and problems and paste some crap from articles that you don't understand. I am not going to waste any more time or thought on this because it is clear that you don't even understand the very basics of digital audio and you are just going to come back with more BS because reality does not fit your agenda.

BTW I never even claimed to be an expert on this, but I know you sure aren't. I already told you to ping Marcel on this forum if you want an expert take.

Last edited:
Literally the only thing you did was Google for the words Sigma Delta and problems and paste some crap from articles that you don't understand. I am not going to waste any more time or thought on this because it is clear that you don't even understand the very basics of digital audio and you are just going to come back with more BS because reality does not fit your agenda.

How rude of you :rofl:!

Here you go, an open source package in Python.

python-deltasigma

Thanks! Good find :)

That 5% can hear differences that can't be measured

No. He said words the effect that previous hearing research was good enough to learn how roughly 95% of the population hears. He said words to the effect that new tests would have to be developed if one wanted data on the remaining roughly 5%.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
One question remain mysterious to me: Why the people, in this forum, that reject in audio any form of emotion or sensibility in the way to approach the technology, refuse the right to others to use a different approach, are so arrogant and aggressives, shoot at the player instead of the ball, use authority arguments.

That's not what is said.
All that is said is that emotion or other subjective results are fine, until someone says their subjective position is correct, rather than just subjective. Then, they are rightly challenged.

High quality dac chips are quite capable of producing very poor sound quality, which they often do.
This was revealed by that secret listening test performed which you swore to not disclose? OK.
One can make a cheap, mediocre, or great dac all using the same chip. Making a great dac is complicated and costly.
Complicated? That may depend on who you ask. Costly? Only if you consider built-in DAC of typical blu-ray player and receivers expensive. I saw a new blu-ray player listed for under $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.