John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, being aware of one's own limitations & the limitations of tests/measurements is all most of us expect for an honest & open discussion. So often that is not on display here - rather it's a display of ego/arrogance usually done in the guise of science/engineering - very far from scientific thinking where truth is the goal

OTOH, you don't strike me as an expert in anything regarding science/engineering. If you are though, you are very successful in hiding your true expertise.

This being said, ego vs. ignorance is by no means a new type of conflict in the Internet age :D.

Sorry? You've lost me. It was a question about the meaning of "emotion" in the context of sound reproduction. It was a question mainly for Jakob because he said it was being researched

You mean to ask Jakob "how is fMRi progressing our understanding of auditory perception? "

fMRi is not involved with testing emotion in the field of auditory research, AFAIK

What I believe is behind this "emotional contact" with music that some systems supply & others do not is down to the reproduction system providing more of the sonic cues that auditory perception uses in it's internal model of how real world objects behave sonically i.e.it sounds more realistic, captures our interest more because of the presentation of these cues & in a lot of instances gives us a better view into the interplay between performers (all of this assuming that these factors are on the recording).

Simply put, better reproduction provides better illusions - illusions which are more believable & interesting

OTOH, you don't strike me as an expert in anything regarding science/engineering. If you are though, you are very successful in hiding your true expertise.
Did I say I was? And you?

I have enough intelligence (but just about enough) to know when I'm being BSed even when people try to pretend they are experts by using engineering terms which they have accumulated by participating in audio forums - terms they know little about.

I know that real experts know the limitations of their field & measurements & methods used in that field & are not afraid to discuss these matters. Those who pretend they are experts usually attack any person discussing topics which might show up their pretence

Which are you?

You mean to ask Jakob "how is fMRi progressing our understanding of auditory perception? "

fMRi is not involved with testing emotion in the field of auditory research, AFAIK

What I believe is behind this "emotional contact" with music that some systems supply & others do not is down to the reproduction system providing more of the sonic cues that auditory perception uses in it's internal model of how real world objects behave sonically i.e.it sounds more realistic, captures our interest more because of the presentation of these cues & in a lot of instances gives us a better view into the interplay between performers (all of this assuming that these factors are on the recording).

Simply put, better reproduction provides better illusions - illusions which are more believable & interesting

Phase seems to play into it more than some think....at least for me anyway.

There are those who believe phase correction doesn’t matter.....so it ends there for them.

Re Martin Mallinson, I know that presentation which was issued several years ago. He is very skilled in doing presentations and attracting audience.

And I know John Westlake personally, we visited each other in Prague several times, couple of years ago.

Damning with faint praise - "He is very skilled in doing presentations and attracting audience." - nothing about the topic in question or his engineering, i see?

And you probably have discussed this topic with JohnW? Care to share?

Phase seems to play into it more than some think....at least for me anyway.

There are those who believe phase correction doesn’t matter.....so it ends there for them.

We all have our ideas/concepts of where the fault lies - phase accuracy, low level detail accuracy, timing accuracy, noise floor modulation, etc. And it may be some or all of these factors are correct - we just don't have the evidence yet.

We are all guessing at the cause but the underlying factor is that some DACs/amplifiers sound more real, more interesting, allow more insight into the musical lines & interplay & hence more emotional connection to the performance/music, despite the fact that we are often told this is not possible based on measurements. We are expected to accept that these often simplistic measurements should be interpreted to represent the behavior of the devices when processing dynamic signals. It's the difference between all the notes being replayed in the right place Vs all the auditory cues on the recording being correctly reproduced. The difference between looking at a Van Gogh painting in the flesh Vs a picture of a Van Gogh - the brush strokes & the emotional impact behind them don't come across in the picture

Unfortunately, the tack taken by many is to attack the guesses & those who suggest such guesses.

Last edited:
We all have our ideas/concepts of where the fault lies - phase accuracy, low level detail accuracy, timing accuracy, noise floor modulation, etc. And it may be some or all of these factors are correct - we just don't have the evidence yet.

We are all guessing at the cause but the underlying factor is that some DACs/amplifiers sound more real, more interesting, allow more insight into the musical lines & interplay & hence more emotional connection to the performance/music, despite the fact that we are often told this is not possible based on measurements. We are expected to accept that these often simplistic measurements should be interpreted to represent the behavior of the devices when processing dynamic signals. It's the difference between all the notes being replayed in the right place Vs all the auditory cues on the recording being correctly reproduced. The difference between looking at a Van Gogh painting in the flesh Vs a picture of a Van Gogh - the brush strokes & the emotional impact behind them don't come across in the picture

Unfortunately, the tack taken by many is to attack the guesses & those who suggest such guesses.

I do believe those who concentrate in this area are going to be the ones who bring it to the next level, the only thing I know what to do about it is make noise..... squeaky wheel lookin for grease :p

More a question about agreed meaning, since:
"Fairly accepted", yes probably, but it doesn´t ensure that all parties agree on the meaning per se. So synchronizing any describing vocabulary is an essential part when doing qualitative research or communication about reproduction of music.
I don´t think the "scientific crowd" is generally freaking out, certainly not the people who are doing research on this topic.

I do believe those who concentrate in this area are going to be the ones who bring it to the next level, the only thing I know what to do about it is make noise..... squeaky wheel lookin for grease :p

Sure but I doubt there will ever be enough noise to make it commercially viable to spend the money needed to investigate what many consider the esoteric stuff of audio production - most just use music reproduction as a soundtrack in their lives not as a an art source in itself

very far from scientific thinking where truth is the goal

OTOH, you don't strike me as an expert in anything regarding science/engineering.

Did I say I was?

No problem with not being a STEM expert, that is not a requirement to have an opinion, but then what do you know about "scientific thinking"? Once again, you don't strike me as having any insights about, beyond Popular Electronics or, to stay on topic, Stereophile.

IMO you guys are talking about two different things a 1 bit SDM (or modulators in general are not purely digital systems, an FIR or IIR filter is.

The modulator front end is not a "digital concept". I took a lot of flak years ago (almost 30 by now) for daring to suggest a two chip converter with SOTA bi-polar integrators and comparators glued to CMOS logic. Talk about not politically correct.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am under the impression that the modulator is a completely digital / discrete time concept for a DAC, just not an ADC. The feedback is done before conversion and the output is just another bitstream.

For example:

http://acoustics.ippt.pan.pl/index.php/aa/article/viewFile/635/554

https://www.analog.com/media/en/tec...es/292524291525717245054923680458171AN283.pdf

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slyt076/slyt076.pdf

Attachments

• sd.png
    sd.png
    127 KB · Views: 165
There's probably more to it than that, the painting is the original event, the picture is a reproduction.

The point is that reproduction is very difficul to capture the nuances that convey the emotion behind the brush strokes we see immediately when we stand in front of the original.
Just trying to give you a handle on this emotion thing you seem to be struggling with

No problem with not being a STEM expert, that is not a requirement to have an opinion, but then what do you know about "scientific thinking"? Once again, you don't strike me as having any insights about, beyond Popular Electronics or, to stay on topic, Stereophile.
And there you go again displaying zero ability in a technical discussion - your practised in trying to demean others but pitifully failing here

Status
Not open for further replies.