John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>

Once you cite the proof I asked way back about that debilitating stress causing listeners to not hear difference in level matched DBT but did hear it when the stress is removed in level matched DBT.

You were/are asking for "proof" for a statement that i´ve never made.

I´ve posted and cited evidence for the different levels of distraction raised by different experimental conditions (i.e. test protocols and even different wording of instructions).

You were/are asking for "proof" for a statement that i´ve never made.
Then why did you state "As there exists sufficient evidence (often already cited in other threads) that different test protocols provoke "stress" effects in different ways"
I´ve posted and cited evidence for the different levels of distraction raised by different experimental conditions (i.e. test protocols and even different wording of instructions).
"cited evidence" is the real tale here. What you posted was your opinion.
All that discredit attempt of double blind test wasn't done by you? Oh, that was jkeny... another one in audio business.

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
These first three are 'friendly sounding' materials, there are toxic heavy metal compounds used as some colour pigments and I maintain these are not 'friendly sounding' and impart bad signatures.
Of course it is obvious that any toxic compound must damage sound.

Now here is an interesting test: find a compound which is toxic to one species but not to another and see how it affects the sound for each species when included in the insulator for a cable. You might not be able to get cats or dogs to do an ABX test, but I'm sure something can be done as their response to sound can sometimes be seen.

Hi everybody! I can't put in a thought here, because you guys are so involved in attacking each other! '-) MMB, you have a problem that will probably return. It might be in your volume control, but it might be elsewhere. It is NOT BREAK-IN. If your set up works for you, then OK. If not, change it. I have a similar set-up but with a much bigger screen and my good speakers (the ones that I seldom use) are too far apart. This is a problem that I would like to resolve, but if I put my Sasha towers closer, they would block the screen. The Met7's are relatively tiny and so fit below the TV screen, and they actually give a more convincing stereo image.
Most of what is debated here has been researched over the decades. It is just not on the internet. Too bad.

Hi everybody! I can't put in a thought here, because you guys are so involved in attacking each other! '-) MMB, you have a problem that will probably return. It might be in your volume control, but it might be elsewhere. It is NOT BREAK-IN. If your set up works for you, then OK. If not, change it. I have a similar set-up but with a much bigger screen and my good speakers (the ones that I seldom use) are too far apart. This is a problem that I would like to resolve, but if I put my Sasha towers closer, they would block the screen. The Met7's are relatively tiny and so fit below the TV screen, and they actually give a more convincing stereo image.
Most of what is debated here has been researched over the decades. It is just not on the internet. Too bad.

Thanks John,

Man....I was hoping it was just a break in thing!

Who should I talk to at parasound? They have yet to return my message I left Thursday last wk......The dealer I bought it from is no longer a authorized parasound dealer, he was when I bought it last yr though.

I really hate to put it in the hands of fedex/ups to go cross country!

Yes I really love reading old articles and audio literature from the 50’s/60’s

John Kloss, Ed Villachur, Winslow Burhoe....all the behind the scenes guys.

Edit...volume control does seem to make sense because it carries the post processed sub out signal...correct? I had a hard time understanding why the sub was also compromised during the ‘event’ and that would explain it...no?

Last edited:
Do you mean in relation to stereo?

Yes. At first, headphones...I was really having a problem with imaging. Turned out the sound card was sharing a DAC with a pair of S/H. Image was off center, and panning it back to center produced really weird image problems.

That started my getting back to basics, starting with the testing done by the acoustic guys. And when I learned what ITD actually was. I really had difficulty believing that humans can discern at or below 5 uSec, we can't possibly align the speakers that well.

Griesinger has some really good stuff on his website, if anybody is interested.

jn

MMB, do not worry so much. IF your problem occurs again, note what it takes to get it going right again. IF it is pounding on the case, then open the case and look around, as something is probably loose or there is a bad solder joint. Stay away from sending the unit back if and until it really breaks permanently.

All serious subjective audiophiles, I want to recommend a book to you that I just ordered myself. I read this guy's column every day, and he mainly makes sense. Critics need not apply.

Attachments

• Picture 121.png
    Picture 121.png
    381.7 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.