John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. At very small signal levels, cone excursion would be small, little jitter. But as excursion increases, distance to ear for higher freq content changes. At a foot per millisecond, 12 mils (.012 inch), represents 1 uSec. 1/4 inch excursion peak to peak represents 20 uSec jitter.

The program source cannot take that into account.

Jn

Yet another point in favor of multi-way systems...of course they bring their own laterally displaced driver related issues unless configured coaxially. Speaking of which, consider that coaxial systems ala Tannoy use the LF cone as the HF waveguide. Since the LF cone is modulated, this would seem to create off-axis modulated sidebands which worsen with LF excursion. It would seem the on-axis radiation should be relatively unaffected, but I wonder...

Curious minds want to know...
Howie

p.s. reading this list reminds me of listening to Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt..." (YouTube)

...We should start selling High BS cable immediately....

CAUTION!!! Once you commit to this path, your soul will be forever lost and you cannot get it back. Seriously, although people put all sorts of spin on this practice, claiming something you do not believe in is tantamount to lying, and once this threshold has been passed your self-respect will be lost and perhaps irretrievable.

Anyone who can do this with no qualms is by definition a sociopath.

If, on the other hand one does believe in something, they must have arrived at the belief through experience, fact, or self-delusion. The last is called being a hifi salesman. After 40 years in the audio business, ask me how I know this...

Sincerely,
One of the Lost Boys

p.s. I know you were kidding...

CAUTION!!! Once you commit to this path, your soul will be forever lost and you cannot get it back. Seriously, although people put all sorts of spin on this practice, claiming something you do not believe in is tantamount to lying, and once this threshold has been passed your self-respect will be lost and perhaps irretrievable.

Anyone who can do this with no qualms is by definition a sociopath.

If, on the other hand one does believe in something, they must have arrived at the belief through experience, fact, or self-delusion. The last is called being a hifi salesman. After 40 years in the audio business, ask me how I know this...
Very interesting. It sheds new light on internet shilling. As for those who are not in the business and yet post like those "sociopath", what term would define them? :scratch2:

As I mentioned earlier I think the only effect is would have, if it exists (I think the focus has become how to actually measure it) would be to destabilize the image, but if it was the same in both channels it wouldn't.

But JN's point is that it cannot be the same in both channels, because the loudspeaker impedance varies with program content. As always he is actually focused on magnetic properties, and how the speaker's impedance varies with position, velocity, and acceleration. Stereo means different program content to each speaker, so different dynamically varying load impedance presented by the two speakers, hence different impedance mismatch, hence different (and dynamically varying) "settling time", hence constantly varying ITD.

I do not recall seeing any tests or numbers on this dynamic impedance variation. It seems to me that program material where ITD plays a significant role in imaging, is unlikely to have large inter-channel level differences at low frequencies. But at least JN's hypothesis has some math in it and is based on actual physical properties (unlike, well, you know..).

But JN's point is that it cannot be the same in both channels, because the loudspeaker impedance varies with program content. As always he is actually focused on magnetic properties, and how the speaker's impedance varies with position, velocity, and acceleration. Stereo means different program content to each speaker, so different dynamically varying load impedance presented by the two speakers, hence different impedance mismatch, hence different (and dynamically varying) "settling time", hence constantly varying ITD.
Good point, yes of course, you are right, thanks

I think you could say binaural recordings have program material where ITD plays a significant role in imaging, and they really only work on headphones.

Very interesting. It sheds new light on internet shilling. As for those who are not in the business and yet post like those "sociopath", what term would define them? :scratch2:

I believe there are plenty of technical issues discussed here to be explored and implemented which have sound operating principles. Conversely here, as everywhere on the internet stating something unsubstantial may possibly be of interest to others, but it is essentially trivial and vaporous.

For me, life is too short to chase such phantoms, I will repeat at the risk of being perceived as boasting that I have been involved with many recordings which have become references for the uber-fi folks. I say this only to state none of the claimed tweaks being marketed these days were used anywhere in the recording chain. Just excellent audio engineering performed with very high grade devices and electronics by engineers following sound well-established techniques.

There is a difference between proving something works and proving something sells, not that capitalism in general cares about the former...nevertheless especially on the internet some seem to have fun with such ideas, and far be it from me to p*ss on another's fun. Selling devices when they do not even understand how they work if indeed they do work is a different issue...there have been many large law suits brought to judgment against snake oil salesmen peddling wares in different fields like health care (of course). I wonder if it has happened in the audio business...anyone?

I have long concluded that no degree of shaming or revelation stops selling vaporous tweaks, anyone who has decided to go that path has ceased to care what anyone thinks about them. I am always open to new ideas, and have had discussions where I tried to be genuinely interested with some selling vaporware face-to-face, and when confronted with a logical inconsistency or outright falsehood they can turn on a dime and make stuff up without blinking, so it is a waste of time debating. In a sales context I have had several say they have no idea how or whether the tweak works... "but who cares? They bring in the green stuff!!" or "Others sell them so I lose out if I don't!" Some just become irritated and snap back at me they are sorry that my hearing sucks...but if it did I could hardly have done the respected audio work I have been paid to do.

So instead of talking any more about any of that, I'd like to see if anyone has experience in pattern modulation of HF from the LF driver in a coaxial system?

Cheers,
Howie

Mountain man Bob, you might be having problems with your integrated amp, but it is not slew rate. The slew rate for this design should be about 50-100V/us. There is nothing in the Stereophile measurements that shows any deviation from this prediction. This integrated amp is 'marginal' in many ways, but not in slew rate.

Mountain man Bob, you might be having problems with your integrated amp, but it is not slew rate. The slew rate for this design should be about 50-100V/us. There is nothing in the Stereophile measurements that shows any deviation from this prediction. This integrated amp is 'marginal' in many ways, but not in slew rate.
May-be time to explain that SR is something different from bandwidth limitation ?
One can have an amp with >800V/µs SR and a bandwidth of 400kHz ? Both to be overkill.

Last edited:

Thanks John, I’m working the speaker wire angle......I can’t find the exact number for the cardas 101 but the capacitance is rather high around 250pf/ft
So 10ft wire = 2500pf which from what I gather is getting up there.

Many reviews of the 101 mention reduced top end and one mentions it was like a tape deck motor that was slowed and variable.

These are my symptoms also, good to hear it’s not the Hint.....changing out to cheap 14ga cord stepped it up but became harsh.

Gonna pick up some canare 4s11 to try, it’s only 48.6 pf/ft or 486pf for my 10ft.....80% less!

Is there any tricks to reduce capacitance in a speaker wire (besides replacing it)?

Thanks, bob

That's right T, MMB is confusing risetime with slew rate.

I’ll try to educate myself on the difference.

So rise time is my problem? The issue is a direct result of changing out the integrated amp.....all else remained the same.

Got it dialed to the room and still have the issue....what effects rise time?

Appreciate the help!

Bob

If you have enough of the Cardas, try the Star-Quad configuration: double up, and connect like this:

+ -
- +

Thanks zung ,
The canare 4s11 is star quad I’m gonna try that....cheaper and way less capacitance.
I thought star quad was only about em/rf protection?

That's right T, MMB is confusing risetime with slew rate.

Ok, so quick tutorial fills me in that slew rate is basically signal flow, and rise time is the speed it takes the flow to go from bottom to top and although different basically work in tandem. But there must be enough signal flow to satisfy demand which leads to.....
A ‘low’ slew rate, which is the flow not being able to keep up with demand in turn lowering (rounding off) the rise time losing quantity of signal.

Seems kinda symbiotic?

Am I close?

Last edited:
No Bob, it isn't in the risetime. 10uS is enough for just about anybody, although I prefer a little more. It implies a 35kHz (-3dB) frequency response. Lower than the spec. which is 100kHz (optimistically). Probably volume control position related.
Personally, I like Cardas and use it (an early version with about 5ft in length) on my Wilson Sasha speakers, and I used it before with WATT 1's for 20 years. You might try Kimber. I use it for my rolled off Met7 speakers, it would be too bright for the Wilson's. The amp that I use the Kimber with is almost exactly the same amp in your receiver, and it works just fine.
Slew rate is internal CLIPPING of the electronics related to how fast and how loud the signal is played. It should be 50V/us or more for a 100W amp. This is a very conservative spec. and many here would accept much less for their own amps.

thanks for the time/effort.
the speaker I’m using right now are rolled off on top (purposely)... and if the cardas wire also has a rolled off tendency ....and then the Hint might have a more rolled off top end than the Yamaha.

That’s 3x rolled off....might of just put it over the top.

The speakers I’m building to use with the Hint are 10” MTM with horn/cd flat out to 20k so it should fall into place....might even need the cardas back in play then!

It’s enlightening to see verification that wire choice can/does make a difference in system tuning.

I can tell the Hint is also starting to loosen up with use.....I think I’ll b ok.

The volume control sux hind teet.....wobbly, unresponsive, and scratchy on top of that.....I know that’s not on you though!

Bob

Care to elaborate......fig 8 is a connector style is it not? I seem to have heard of people using cat 5.....just tie all the wires together? And what does white have to do with it......surely you of all people aren’t poking fun are ya?
Hi MB. To use Cat 5 parallel the pairs and you have zippy pleasant sounding pretty neutral cable. You can go to 10 pair Indoor Telephone Cable and this works really well for most amps but check amp load capacitance specs first...JC ?.

Fig8 cable is format of standard twin cable, available in range of conductor sizes and insulation types. Here in Aus we have 240V 10A rated flexible 'lamp cord' available in insulation colours of black, grey and white. White insulation in this and other 240V cable cable contains titanium dioxide as filler and pigment. I find this pigment to sound clear and even, with a pleasantly slightly 'damped' characteristic. IEC power cables are available in white also and worth a try. IME other insulation colours can sound different and some pigments/insulation sounding distinctly harsh/unpleasant/wrong. I am currently running RG59 coax which works especially well with 75R terminating resistors each end. IME Canare 4s11 has an overly 'bright' signature, detailed and clear but not to my preference long term.

IME Parasound amps can sound very slightly 'dull' but this is in comparison to other amplifiers that sound wrongly 'sharp'. To my ears Parasounds amps sound ever so slightly 'laid back' but way more correct and pleasant than typical gear......the fet input/nfb transistors are much to do with this.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.