John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's the clincher. op amps can do everything in a preamp bipolars can, yet in the end, the bipolars end up sounding just that little bit better.

An op amp is what it is, you can do little but adjust yourself to their capabilities, whereas in a discrete design, you sure have to work a lot harder, but you keep the freedom of adjusting your design much more felxibly simply because you control each and ever little bit of the ciruit. Thus you can choose the best part for the job, including the often unmentioned passive parts. The price you pay is in increased work, more parts and more real estate on the PCB, all of which can be translated into a higher price.

And, of course, you can mix-'n-match. People use low noise discrete FETs cascoded with low noise BJTs, and have them driving an op amp for the required high gain in a RIAA phono board.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
No, I'm confident there are plenty very, very, sincere and otherwise sane people that are rife with biases/etc. I certainly am one of them (well, ask the right people and both my sincerity and sanity might come into question :D).

At the same time, if we assume both the discrete and IC forms are well engineered (or misbehave very similarly), I'd bet you get a null in any sort of ABX.

Welcome to being human. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.