John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is d & b audiotechnik from Germany. A three way box with 2 compression drivers, 1 mid and 2 woofies. No idea who makes the drivers. Passive crossover.

Serial numbers for this project range from 1 to 32. Based on their model V8. However there are no tomatoes in them unlike the original V8! They are a bit more expensive. Around $8,000 each. Currently around here the top touring system folks.

V-Series - Loudspeakers | d&b audiotechnik

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There seems to be more than one connection between wine
and high end audio perception. I just stumbled across this:
< Warum teurer Wein scheinbar besser schmeckt - Wissenschaft - JuraForum.de >
(in German)
where they put wine testers into a MRI scanner an told
them fake prices of the substances administered.

Cheers, Gerhard

Of course, what's new? What continues to amaze me that people who build equipment and speakers to reproduce music have no interest at all in the mechanisms that determine how we perceive that music and musical 'quality'. Some even go so far as to deny that the mechanisms even exist!
Very strange.

Jan

and high end audio perception.

Interesting piece Gerhard. Concluding remark especially: „Die spannende Frage ist nun, ob man das Belohnungssystem trainieren kann, damit es weniger empfänglich für solche Placebo-Marketing-Effekte wird“

In English: Now, the intriguing question is, can one train the reward system, so that it becomes less susceptible to such placebo-marketing-effects.

(For those suffering from English-locked-in-syndrome: the article describes how test persons appreciate wine better if they believe its is more expensive, and how this holds up regardless of who is paying for the wine.)

The short answer to me appears to be: yes, as far as audio is concerned, training and increased understanding of the technical side and the working of the auditory system can go a long way.

Hence my hesitance in respecting those who like to deter consumers from activities that could improve their understanding of these matters, for example by conducting blind listening tests, even if those individuals are fine audio engineers per se. My feelings are aggravated if such individuals furthermore actively encourage voodoo beliefs in expensive components that have proven to be ineffectual.

Because Authority is the ugly sister of Cost Price in this respect.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and high end audio perception. I just stumbled across this:
< Warum teurer Wein scheinbar besser schmeckt - Wissenschaft - JuraForum.de >
(in German)
where they put wine testers into a MRI scanner an told
them fake prices of the substances administered.

I find your picture of the bottle highly offensive.

I'm currently in Iceland, where you can buy alcohol only in
special stores and the easiest way to get it in the evening
is renting a hotel room and looting the mini bar.

Cheers, Gerhard

I want to go there next year. Have you tried the 'rotten shark meat' (sorry, I cannot remember the official name they have for it) alcohol - Icelandic speciality?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I didn't want to try foetid shark but I enjoyed my visit a few years ago. Mind you a lot of driving through naff all to get from one place to another. Sadly didn't get to see northern lights but did prove I can still do a dab of oppo when needed in the snow :)

They do make the nuttiest extreme off road vehicles. I approve.

I want to go there next year. Have you tried the 'rotten shark meat' (sorry, I cannot remember the official name they have for it) alcohol - Icelandic speciality?

It's called hákarl, drink enough Brennivin and you won't notice. Avoiding both is probably a good idea, like raw squid gonads I would probably taste it only once. There is a youtube of Gordon Ramsay spontaneously booting after a bite. They do this with some lake fish in Japan you probably missed that, supposedly equally "interesting".

Attachments

• 220px-Brennivin2.jpg
    220px-Brennivin2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's called hákarl, drink enough Brennivin and you won't notice. Avoiding both is probably a good idea, like raw squid gonads I would probably taste it only once. There is a youtube of Gordon Ramsay spontaneously booting after a bite. They do this with some lake fish in Japan you probably missed that, supposedly equally "interesting".

Ahh. Got it.

Might give it a miss given your info above.

BTW, have you ever seen how they make Thai fish sauce?

I shipped my Landrover Discovery to Iceland many years ago, flew after it and had a great 3 weeks on the island! You really need a 4x4 to get anywhere at all, except for the rather boring paved circumvential road.
Jan

This morning on a hill crest in the West Fjords:
My R1200GS/A is anything but tiny, but next to this Icelandic SUV...

Cheers, Gerhard

Attachments

• Auswahl_002.png
    Auswahl_002.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.