John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.
Why should I bother?
Voltages and currents at least show something usable.

Amen... I mean distortion being low is good and all but says very little about how something sounds. The vast majority of audiophiles seem to think current response problems of the complex impedance is the "distortion" they hear or something like that. Basically they think they are hearing something else so they talk about distortion because it sounded distorted, not like distortion. You understand :cool:

Amen... I mean distortion being low is good and all but says very little about how something sounds. The vast majority of audiophiles seem to think current response problems of the complex impedance is the "distortion" they hear or something like that. Basically they think they are hearing something else so they talk about distortion because it sounded distorted, not like distortion. You understand :cool:

Yes, their terminology is fancy, but if they are not cargo-cult audiophiles, they want the same that I as a designer want. :)

Wavebourn, I truly apologize for not recognizing you at the show. It would have been better if I had, because then you could have formally met and talked with Jack Bybee, and perhaps not be so negative about him as you are today.

Why do you think I am negative to him?

We just perform in different genres.

And do not worry, I do not have such a burning desire to be internationally recognized nor affiliated with nationally recognized people. I would be happy if my creations get respect that they deserve.

Last edited:
Well Wavebourn, he was right in front of you when we met, and it would have been good to have a further communication in any case. Another engineer was with us and we could have talked to you as well about the amp that we have been developing over the last 5 years or so.

I could show you my amp prototype that I had in my car then. May be you all would help me to get it into production and market. :)

It is sad that you forgot what Wavebourn is! ;)

Oh yes :D

(folklore again ;-) )

Again actual technical discourse dies because the truth is inconvenient. The question is asked, the answer is not what is expected, the issue is dropped. That is until again we should talk about asymmetrical waveforms or high OLBW. The circle is unbroken.

It doesn't help that the proponents typically don't have the technical expertise to put forth a cogent argument.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I was thinking (you cant read my mind??) of a waveform which has a dc component to it. one with +dc and one with -dc. dc level and period to be determined.
I cant do that -- it is sooo difficult.

I do have an HP arb waveform gen. Hmmm :)

On second thought, never your mind.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I was thinking (you cant read my mind??) of a waveform which has a dc component to it. one with +dc and one with -dc. dc level and period to be determined.
I cant do that -- it is sooo difficult.

I do have an HP arb waveform gen. Hmmm :)

On second thought, never your mind.

THx-RNMarsh

An AC coupled waveform can't have a DC component. Do you DC couple all the way to your speakers? Remember master of none, you said it not me. I mean this is absolutely stunning coming from the guy who constantly flogs inventing the DC servo. I guess my narrow little bookish mine just doesn't get it.

Last edited:
I like asymmetrical waveforms because that bring out DA in caps. They might change op amp behavior too for all that I know. Dr. Hirata used asymmetrical waveforms and found the Crown DC300 (just a big slow op amp) to be one of the worst amps that he measured, and the Marantz 8B as one of the best. Why?

Attachments

• Hirata test engineering report 1981-1 copy.pdf
    492.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I like asymmetrical waveforms because that bring out DA in caps. They might change op amp behavior too for all that I know. Dr. Hirata used asymmetrical waveforms and found the Crown DC300 (just a big slow op amp) to be one of the worst amps that he measured, and the Marantz 8B as one of the best. Why?

Aah, a mind reader. Yes, JC, you got it. Redo that test on todays tube and SS amps.

THx-RNMarsh

Master of nothing

Last edited:
Destroyer OS, There is an Analog Devices ADAU1701 chipset that will do the EQ, crossover and any D/A or A/D conversions. There will be an RF chipset with Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities and another chip to connect to a USB device. With the current trend to smart devices and so called smart speakers I'm beginning to think I should add some kind of microphone and have this become a two way device so you can talk on your phone while streaming music from your device. Scott, is that something the ADAU1701 could handle?

E. Simon,
I'll send you an answer to your query with a complete list when I get a chance.

We are more about optimization than skills of continually adding utility. I am sure someone else is better suited for simply adding quantity of function.

We're we to embark it would take more time than you are looking at, to get any such thing tuned up as optimal. It seems like your market is more techie than audiophile perhaps.

Destroyer,
Basically the reference designs from AD and TI are excellent as is if you follow their recommendations and don't cut corners. Now as far as that word audiophile goes my personal experience with those who actually choose to call themselves that, I'd say 95% of them are full of it and are shooting fire out their A*s and really just espouse whatever today's current fad happens to be. As far as that Techie market your damned right that is the target market. Who's spending billions on smart phones and other devices? Why would anyone think that these same people are not the people who were the album collectors of the past, it's just that component stereo is looked at like a dinosaur by these younger hipsters. This is the group with disposable income, the few over 50+ years old audiophiles are a tiny percentage of the population at this point. That is a totally different market with a small but still significant billion dollar market,BUT, the advertising cost to reach that small group of people is to put it nicely just crazy. Go price a full page color ad in Stereophile running at a 12 times yearly publication rate. Hold on to your wallet, and that is only one publication!

Status
Not open for further replies.