John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as the invoices that you write are larger than the invoices you receive, your o.k. :)

In the army we said, if the problem is not solved with the hammer you are using then get a bigger hammer.

So: If the invoice you need to pay is to large then write a biggen one :) problem solved!

Does drying your car, after washing, with a leaf blower mean I'm eccentric?

I haven't washed my car in 40yr. unless it comes free with the service call. Nice thing about BMW/Audi is that full detailing with service is only a small charge. Only my wife gets that now.

BTW I don't get it, you NEED to wash cars in CA (there's no salt)?

Last edited:

I think I went the entire 8 years I was in CA without washing my car. I'll pretend that the dust patina protected the paint from the elements (it totally didn't; San Diego sun won out). Also, just recently shop vac'd the interior of said car -- the suspension is probably riding about a 1/2" higher now. :)

I once saw a woman adding her own oil to a Rolls in the parking lot of a discount parts store.

At least she has her priorities right!

Does drying your car, after washing, with a leaf blower mean I'm eccentric? Touchless, and blows water out of the seams and cracks .. all done in a minute or two.

Tip of the day.

-RM

No, this is a very good technique, won't put swirls in the clear.

Not sure what you use to wash, but if you want to save water I have had very good experiences with Optimum No Rinse.

I haven't washed my car in 40yr. unless it comes free with the service call. Nice thing about BMW/Audi is that full detailing with service is only a small charge. Only my wife gets that now.

You don't "need" to, but bird droppings etc. still will etch the clear.

I was always of the opposite mind, I would never let their guys touch my car, unless you fancy swirl marks on a black car.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No, this is a very good technique, won't put swirls in the clear.

Not sure what you use to wash, but if you want to save water I have had very good experiences with Optimum No Rinse.

I use two brands..... Eagle One and Meguiar's.

For those who have no sense of esthetics and beauty and cleanliness, can close your eyes on this ---- For interior and exterior care products.... try CREWE out of England. Order direct... don't go thru Bentley dealer. Cheap and best stuff for leather and paint.

And, for oil, air and gas filters, CREWE is as cheap as parts for a Chevy or Ford. But ONLY if you do not buy from dealer.

CREWE makes original parts for Bentley. So the stuff for cleaning and washing and polishing are the best.

Tip of the day.

-RNM

Last edited:
For those who have no sense of esthetics and beauty and cleanliness, can close your eyes on this.
Tip of the day.
Is this our POE moment for today?

Attachments

• monty-python-quote-he-must-be-a-king-why-he-hasnt-got-****-all-over.jpg
    monty-python-quote-he-must-be-a-king-why-he-hasnt-got-****-all-over.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 234
I use two brands..... Eagle One and Meguiar's.

For those who have no sense of esthetics and beauty and cleanliness, can close your eyes on this ---- For interior and exterior care products.... try CREWE out of England. Order direct... don't go thru Bentley dealer. Cheap and best stuff for leather and paint.

And, for oil, air and gas filters, CREWE is as cheap as parts for a Chevy or Ford. But ONLY if you do not buy from dealer.

CREWE makes original parts for Bentley. So the stuff for cleaning and washing and polishing are the best.

Tip of the day.

-RNM

You should check out the Autopia forums, a lot of pro detailers hang out there. There are a lot of good new products out there, recent advances in paint coatings etc. Some of the coatings like OptiCoat, Modesta, etc. basically give you the equivalent of a wax job that lasts a few years. I think they are some kind of SiC or SiO2 based coating.

Meguiars pro stuff is decent, no idea about the CREWE but it sounds like it's made by someone else and rebranded. For washing though if you really do it yourself a lot, try the Optimum stuff, it's basically magic in a bottle.

I largely gave up on all this after the 9000th door ding from random public parking.

Anyway, back to audio.

How is it that some high-end manufacturers can now garner amazing reviews with op-amps galore in their products, despite the detractors of their sound in this thread?

Same thing goes for sigma delta DACs. It's funny, I remember there being a large group of people speaking ill of them for audio, and yet now that the precious PCM1704 is discontinued, all the manufacturers seem to be pumping out the "best stuff ever" that have sigma delta converters; some even with switched cap filters and voltage outputs. This was the sort of stuff that was derided as "low-end" around here for a long time.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
OMG ! ... random public parking? a big No-No. There seems to be interest from consumers for better sound, HD et al.... but they do not know anthing about audio and don't seem to want to know, either. Just give them better sound for lowest price.

Not much effort on anyone's part to educate... the magazine don't do much either in educating.

Looks like we are IT... the last ones who care and want the know-how. When we are gone, that's the end of the era for highest quality design and build.

-Richard

BTW -- I found this on LinkedIn....... answere it quickly and be branded a genius.... or The King.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAwfAAAAJDM0NDQ1ZTI3LTEzODMtNDU5Ni05MzBhLWYzZWE2MWZjNzFiMA[1].png

You have 15 seconds to beat me. How many Kings out there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.