John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that many here who contribute know or care little about highest quality audio. Sure, we can all get along with mid-fi, but just like we could get along with a low cost American car, but isn't there more in driving a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche for example? It is the same with audio. Hi end audio has lots of people in it who hardly know what they are doing, or else tend to overcharge for what they produce, but deliberately ignoring hi end audio entirely, just keeps you down to mid-fi performance. Is this what you want?

The chief difference being that even Helen Keller could feel the difference between a Honda Civic from a Porsche 911, whereas it's been shown time and time again that high-end audio is something of a mirage at the top.

A better analogy would be a 911 versus a 911 with all of the Porsche appearance packages (carbon fiber trim, full natural leather, etc) and maybe the sport exhaust (no performance increase because it still retains all catalytic converters). Doesn't perform any better, but it's more premium.

Still, it's a shame that people don't want to study audio design, because they might learn something useful that might even help their own system.
I don't expect anyone here in particular to buy hi end components, they are too expensive, even for me, just like I would like a Boxter, but it would not be worth the investment these days for me. But the DESIGN of the Boxter could be very interesting to me. It is the same with my designs, I can't afford the more upscale ones, myself, and if I have anything special, it is because I bought it used, it was given to me by a grateful customer, or something I designed myself. So it isn't the cost of things that impress me, but the ENGINEERING that goes into many hi end designs. It is the engineering that I would like to discuss, not the cost or the shape of the cabinet.

I have to ask, Mark - when did people ever sit down and just listen to recorded music?

Bottom line: Was there ever a significant proportion of the population who sat down to listen to recorded music and nothing else? Outside the audiophile fringe - us.

There appears to be a strong positive relationship between the propensity to sit down thusly and the availability and popularity of cannabinoids. Hence, all worries are unwarranted.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Daily Mash take on the daily mail

Attachments

• daily mail.jpg
    daily mail.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 170
Bottom line: Was there ever a significant proportion of the population who sat down to listen to recorded music and nothing else? Outside the audiophile fringe - us.
All the population I knew at the time did exactly that.

I remember back in college (70's) that it was quite common. There was often chemical assistance, though.
Takes me back, lol.

Dan.

So it isn't the cost of things that impress me, but the ENGINEERING that goes into many hi end designs. It is the engineering that I would like to discuss, not the cost or the shape of the cabinet.
Throughout my servicing career I have always studied and marveled at the ingenuity/engineering that goes into manufacturing known performing and reliable product at low/affordable prices, and add to that the steps and stations required to manufacture such product in high volume.

I have always reckoned that every manufacturer should have experience of a general electronics repair centre, and see other/better ways.
Of some of the Hi-End stuff I have seen/repaired, it can be painfully obvious that the 'bespoke' small manufacturer has exactly zero idea in terms of serviceability/longevity/layout etc.

Sure the designer may have a good/great schematic, but next to no understanding of how to put a great product together.
Great engineering takes into account all requirements, and it is of great pleasure to see.

Dan.

All Dan? All? Perth is a strange place.
Hmmm, not sure what you mean.
I mean, good engineering is delivering a suitable product that performs as advertised, is long term reliable, is serviceable, uses minimum resources, and is ergonomic...etc, etc.

Dan.

PS - Perth may be strange to you, but we like down here in this corner, well away from all the nonsense overtaking the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.