John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-pole is used commercially, in diy designs here, may still benefit from some VAS anti-saturation measures but seems practically usable

additional local loops in nested/multiloop arrangements also exist in Audio Power Amps, Halcro is an infamous example with some commercial success

from Cherry's nested feedback to Bob's Mosfet Powers amp, to multiloop LM3886 there are people playing with added loop gain, "conditionally stable" designs, working examples

the BJ Lurie Control site refs I gave a few pages back do talk about real limits - in a bit more detail: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loun...ch-preamplifier-part-ii-8469.html#post4782512

Last edited:
"When I measure speakers and headphones I never have seen a situation where the electronic's distortion swamped that of the speaker."

With the majority of speakers I would assume we would be talking about 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion and non-linear distortion mechanisms in the suspension systems that would as you say swamp out the electronic distortion. The higher order distortion from the electronics should be at least a factor less in amplitude if not much more than that. So I can see how you can measure the electronic higher order distortion products by electronic means but to say you can easily detect these through the speakers is where I must question what that limit must be? How high must the level of that distortion reach to be audible over the typical speaker distortion from most commercial speaker systems and not just in a very few low distortion designs or say something like a high efficiency low distortion compression driver?

My question is when others are talking about distortion in a system how do they know where it comes from? To just blame it on some electronic component without knowing that it is truly from one component and not another and especially from the majority of speakers makes me question how anyone can blame a component in a system since they are so interrelated and synergy is what we seem to be all looking for. Just saying you changed a component in the chain and therefor that is the component causing the distortion is hard to say definitively.
Time and time again, as happened today while listening to a MBL system: I listen first, notice a brittle top end. I look to see no TT or the TT is idle. Another demo de rigueur with music pumped from a music server or worse yet a laptop. I know where that high frequency distortion is coming from.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Curious as to your position.

Are you saying that you can "line up" (ie. play/switch between) a reasonably large number of amplifiers that will all sound the same to you, sighted and blind, or blind or sighted, and that are all according to your criteria "transparent"?

_-_-

My position is that every attempt to setup up controlled tests for audibility have shown that Peter Walker was right all those years ago. Once you get below 0.1% THD there is no evidence you can tell them apart without peeking. The fact that eyes trump all other senses unless you are blind should be obvious without having to read too much literature. People believe they have magic hearing and that's fine as long as the snake oilers don't take advantage of them and they dont try and persuade the rest of us that we are deaf. It's a hobby after all!

Hi end stuff sells on the bling and the marketing story. Never on the specs any more. I have an amplifier on my restore list that will be 50 years old this year and still measures better than a lot of boutique products.

When I measure speakers and headphones I never have seen a situation where the electronic's distortion swamped that of the speaker.

Yes. My standard (maximum acceptable) for speakers is -50dB (0.3% for any harmonics). Today it is so easy to get much lower than that for amplifiers (my design threshold is 0.02% THD). But I feel amps still sound different.

Once you get below 0.1% THD there is no evidence you can tell them apart without peeking.

Is that speaker or amplifier? Amplifier of course. Why do you think there is no other variable other than THD that can affect sound? There is high order versus low order (or phase related variable). Try class-A versus class-B amplifiers. Or class-A versus class-D amplifiers.

I don't know whether people can tell them apart or not, but my intuition is that I CAN. Of course I'm very interested to know if I'm right or wrong.

People believe they have magic hearing and that's fine as long as the snake oilers don't take advantage of them and they dont try and persuade the rest of us that we are deaf.

Put aside any inferiority (or superiority) complex. Aren't you all interested to know the truth? Don't you think that some sound clips and Foobar ABX is sufficient for the test?

Four clips: A, B, C, D. Two class-D (or class-B) and two class-A. Arrange such amplitude is one (slightly) higher and one lower for each amp so that amplitude difference has no effect on the result. Listener should be able to tell which ones are the class-D...

From above test I expect to hear fatigue from amplifiers that generate high order distortion, even tho it is down 60dB and beyond 20kHz...

Another test is slew rate test. One with low SR and the other with high SR. The music must be complex (many instruments) and fast. Here I expect the low SR amp will fall apart...

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That number holds some water for a single pole compensated amplifier, and can be derived from the output stage frequency/phase response, if implemented even with the best discrete devices available on the market.

When considering multiple poles compensation, there is theoretically no limit in the amount of loop gain available at 20KHz, even with real world output stage power devices, and circuits can even be conveniently synthesized. The limitations are not in the gain-phase, but in the collateral damages that such circuits may induce, in particular the clipping and clipping recovery. Extra circuitry required to tame the overload behaviour must go past the passive anti saturation, usually by killing the loop gain in a controlled manner, so that the feedback loop is never thrown in a dangerous (stability wise) situation. Such circuits are far from trivial, so the overall complexity may increase beyond the point of interest for the average DIYer, the implementation would be very expensive, and being (from the SQ perspective) definitely moot. So such circuits could be safely considered as intellectual games only. Nobody needs them when it comes to audio reproduction.

Yes - I agree.

50 transistor amplifiers always make me chuckle - it does not show sophistication. Just the inability to make sensible engineering tradeoff's.

TPC or TMC will get you to c. 45-50 dB LG at 20 kHz comfortably. But you then still have to take other precautions. Its about as far as I will go for an audio amp. I just don't see any reason for higher order comp networks and the attendant grief it brings. Keep it simple - the ear does not mind a bit of 2nd and 3rd introduced by the amp that's not present on the source material. Tube amps attest to that.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Radford STA-25 mk3

Wow - that's old school. I remember reading a review (already a few years old at that time) in about 1970 while still at school . . .

Attachments

• 01-Restored-STA25[1].jpg
    01-Restored-STA25[1].jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
You cannot say you are interested in the truth if you then pepper your text with ' I feel, expect and inuition'. You have pre-supposed there must be a difference and you are the one to find it. But if you can get to the right frame of mind for the test and a good protocol you might be suprised by the results.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wow - that's old school. I remember reading a review (already a few years old at that time) in about 1970 while still at school . . .

Yeah bought it as a student in the 80s with a blown transformer. Was my first upgrade from the ubiquitous NAD3020. 26dB GNFB, which is a lot for a tube amp of the era, unless I missed some other designs (entirely possible)

Hi end stuff sells on the bling and the marketing story. Never on the specs any more. I have an amplifier on my restore list that will be 50 years old this year and still measures better than a lot of boutique products.

All the spec's look the same... so... duh.

Hmm do I want this 100w amplifier or this one? I see one has 0.001% distortion and the other one has 0.0013%. Real useful.

Time and time again, as happened today while listening to a MBL system: I listen first, notice a brittle top end. I look to see no TT or the TT is idle. Another demo de rigueur with music pumped from a music server or worse yet a laptop. I know where that high frequency distortion is coming from.

You hear something and you see something at the same time and draw the conclusion that they must be linked. Gestalts like that often occur and can be very wrong.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would rather have (complete) measurements to work from, including such useful things as clippling and recovery from clipping behaviour that someone telling me how a myrtle wood block under a power cable transformed the sound. I am not the target market for boutique audio though. I just want an amplifier that, against the currently known limits of human hearing and for the load I present is at least 10dB better than the audibility thresholds. If on a 32 tone test (which I think is useful although really a fast production QA check) the grot is all >100dB down then I would be hard pressed to come up with any logical reason for that not being completely transparent unless abused.

You cannot say you are interested in the truth if you then pepper your text with ' I feel, expect and inuition'. You have pre-supposed there must be a difference and you are the one to find it.

It is an attribution on your part to infer from words that people use, what must therefore being going on inside their heads. But I don't think you measured that as much as intuited it, unless maybe you are a calibrated mind reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.