John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• 550 plugs.jpg
    550 plugs.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 300
Once again, let me explain the problem with balanced vs unbalanced. Most phono tone arms come with unbalanced wiring with RCA connectors. Unbalanced wiring is generally cheaper, more popular, and just as quiet in a normal domestic environment. For example, my Linn Arm that came with my Linn Sondek, has single ended wiring and RCA connectors.
What about balanced then?
Balanced operation, to be successful, requires balanced lines from the tone-arm to the preamp. This is because balanced operation works on common mode SUBTRACTION of the interfering external noise being picked up EQUALLY by both the + and - signals in the same cable. Nothing else will work as well, if at all.
So if you try to use a single ended cable into a balanced input, no matter how well designed, you will get noise pickup.

It seems to me, that a slightly modified DYNA PAS-3 phono stage with an input transformer, will do the job nicely. Please prove me wrong, if you can.

If you read the article I wrote, you will see why that's not the case. Mediocre distortion, poor RIAA conformance, slewing, high output impedance, lousy power supply rejection, sensitivity to output loading, and poor overload margins and recovery are inherent to that design. Time to get your head out of a 1979 mindset and join the 21st century!

So if you try to use a single ended cable into a balanced input, no matter how well designed, you will get noise pickup.

"Doctor, it hurts every time I do this."
"Don't do that."

Replacing a tonearm to preamp interconnect is trivially easy. And cheap, if you don't go in for snake oil. I used shielded CAT 5, though mike cable would probably work just as well.

Once again, let me explain the problem with balanced vs unbalanced. Most phono tone arms come with unbalanced wiring with RCA connectors. Unbalanced wiring is generally cheaper, more popular, and just as quiet in a normal domestic environment. For example, my Linn Arm that came with my Linn Sondek, has single ended wiring and RCA connectors.
What about balanced then?
Balanced operation, to be successful, requires balanced lines from the tone-arm to the preamp. This is because balanced operation works on common mode SUBTRACTION of the interfering external noise being picked up EQUALLY by both the + and - signals in the same cable. Nothing else will work as well, if at all.

Well, first, just because a cable is terminated with RCA connectors doesn't necessarily mean the cable isn't balanced, i.e. symmetrical. A simple twisted pair is "balanced" as far as that goes.

Second, one of the beauties of transformers is that they can give you excellent common-mode rejection even when fed from unbalanced sources.

Third, this can also be achieved electronically, as witnessed by Bill Whitlock's InGeniusTM balanced line receiver (see patent 5,568,561).

se

I had my tonearme rewired from the headshell plug in one go to the balanced phono plug. Even my unbalanced phono stages profitate. There is less hum and considerable better sound. Some snake oil involved, though.

I guess it's because you have two identical dedicates wires (+, -) and an additional shield rather than a shield that serves as a signal return at the same time.

Rüdiger

Status
Not open for further replies.