John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Y

You might want to learn to capitalize proper names...

I checked several British style guides, so you can't hide behind that...

Ok So that is a very very clear gratuitous insult there Mr Pot. Why on earth would you want to complain about me then do exactly the same back?

BTW if you look at a copy of nature they do not capitalize the 'n' so assuming that was my supposed fault it fell a bit flat.

Ok So that is a very very clear gratuitous insult there Mr Pot. Why on earth would you want to complain about me then do exactly the same back?

It is far from being the same - the error in question is not imaginary like your insult was.

BTW if you look at a copy of nature they do not capitalize the 'n' so assuming that was my supposed fault it fell a bit flat.

Does't matter. Check a style guide. The name of the magazine is still Nature, no matter what they put on its cover.

Just sitting here Bill, ROTFLMAO watching you dig a deeper hole for yourself.

What fool says I don't have a sense of humor? ;-)

I am not trying to be unpleasant, but there does seem to be some double-standards here since I actually am in the same position and been accused of being a huckster, charlatan and a swill?

What is "cash-flow"?

Again, I see nothing wrong with it - just don't judge the entire worth of a man.

It depends on what you sell and how you are selling it.

Cash-flow is what comes out of a cash cow.

In most cases there is no original performance, but just a carefully crafted studio amalgamate. Wrong benchmark.

You've never made one of these, I'd guess from the error. Been there, done that many times.

When what you quaintly and seemingly awkwardly call a studio amalgamate is made, it is still listened to by the person(s) who prepare it.

What is listened to is thus the moral equivalent of the original performance.

The benchmark still exists!

You've never made one of these, I'd guess from the error. Been there, done that many times.

In order: you don't know, there is no error, good for you.

When what you quaintly and seemingly awkwardly call a studio amalgamate is made, it is still listened to by the person(s) who prepare it.

What is listened to is thus the moral equivalent of the original performance.

The benchmark still exists!

Performances don't have moral equivalents. You do, but I will leave it to others to describe it.

Ah another Arny word play, so having said

arny said:
What fool says I don't have a sense of humor? ;-)

You now claim it wasn't aimed at me. Cool I am not a fool. I can live with that.

Again Bill, you are missing the rather obvious point that you called yourself a fool for a different reason. Now you appear to be trying to go back on your word.

Bill, I'm wondering who you usually hang with who does not see the obvious dissembling and trickery? Perhaps everybody sees it but does not point it out to avoid being targeted by you?

Well, I also can't understand the controversy until somebody starts glossing about (to quickly name only a few):

- The "open loop gain" advantage of the CFA.
- The CFA can provide more loop gain, and hence has lower distortions.
- 1000V/uS providing the last 1% of audio performance improvement.
Are-you not the knight, leading a strange religious war against CFAs, which have quasi fatal allergic crises each time these acronyms appear in the forum ? Silent most of the time, we can be sure to see-you back, red like a tomato, each time those 3 letters appears.
I've mentioned this before (and provided a link to a thread on this forum), a few years ago CFAs (and in particular the Alexander amplifier) were demonized as the worse thing that can happen to audio, delivering a harsh, raspy sound.
Well, This definitely undermines you.
- As far as I know, Alexander amplifier was never produced commercially. So there is 99,99/100 chances that you never listened to it. (I still have one of the original printed boards, offered by A.D. as demos to his good customers (I was one ;-). It was a very good sounding and measuring amp at its time. His character depend on the IC used, of course.
- Most of the people that listened to CFAs (Reviewers etc... ) use to qualify the sound they usually produce by words meaning exactly the opposite of "Harsh and Raspy". On the contrary, they underline the absence of fatigue, the fluidity of the trebles, and the level of little details revealed all along with "easy listening".
- On my side, I had realized the same amp in the two configurations (CFA Vs VFA) http://www.esperado.fr/temp/VSSA/vssa-vs-vfa.html
And I can confirm that, if the difference is not Day and Night, the "Harsh and Raspy" is on the VFA side.
NB: reducing the impedance of feedback path in the VFA, in order to increase the bandwidth at HF reduce the difference further. So, yes, it seems that an extended bandwidth gives some advantages for the quality of the sound.
- In my multiway system, the 1000-40000Hz range is powered by a CFA, while low medium and basses by a VFA, and my big sub with a class D one. The best of all worlds. Do-you think I'm masochist ?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill, I'm wondering who you usually hang with who does not see the obvious dissembling and trickery? Perhaps everybody sees it but does not point it out to avoid being targeted by you?

Well no one else on here has accused me of either of those, so either you are more perceptive than everyone else or there is no dissembling or trickery going on.

Unless of course everyone else is too polite to call me out for the conniving word twisting, point scoring, petty illegitimate that I am. :p

Well no one else on here has accused me of either of those,

I explained that, partially stimulated by some PMs.

You were kind enough to provide examples, which I pointed out. Now you want to pretend it never happened. Just more deflections.

so either you are more perceptive than everyone else or there is no dissembling or trickery going on.

Just another misleading list of self-serving options with the relevant ones removed.

Unless of course everyone else is too polite to call me out for the conniving word twisting, point scoring, petty illegitimate that I am. :p

Your words, not mine.

On my experience, it is easier to achieve a high open loop gain in a VFA, to the detriment of open loop bandwidth, that means less distortion at low frequencies.
The closed loop bandwidth is dependent of the overall closed loop gain.
It is easier to achieve high slew rate and bandwidth with CFA, that mean less distortion at high frequencies.
CFA are more sensible to power quality, because they have a poor PSRR, while the PSRR can be better at very HF.
You have to filter more the rail of the input stage to get similar rejection.
CFA are, usually easier to compensate, and offer, everything equal, a better phase margin. The closed loop bandwidth is near independent from the overall closed loop gain.

We can achieve pretty good sounding and measuring amplifiers with both topologies, with very close measurement results, chose your poison. No myth, no mysteries, nothing to fear. Just two pretty old and well known topologies offering both various advantages and inconveniences, as always.

Last edited:
Another Pyrrhic victory Mr Kruger! Well done! :worship:

And whilst posting this, how about you posting a list of two of the records which you have made and which have been published? Should be pretty easy to pick 1% or so out of that 200 or so which to you lay claim. I am pretty sure that I have asked for this before ... and the request ignored.

But I, for one, am not interested in local Church performances (by other than acknowledged professional musicians), so you need not mention those.

Status
Not open for further replies.