John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What I've found, in my short contact with CFA, that from it somehow is easier to get what I want.

I am very grateful to Richard for his comments on my amp, he have listened so many different types and productions.

I started here a couple years ago and have challenged designers to do better. Always, poking and prodding. Based on my experience alone, I made a few comments that CFA is easier to get great performance. Those who took up the challenge has also shown that in their experience that is true for them as well.

In the past, I never said this or that amps sounds better... didnt do it with capacitors either..... the variations are too subtle and in many cases small. However, I have no hesitation about the sound of Dadod's or perhaps others if they merit it. I dont dish out such praise easily.

THx to all who have hung in and tried their best efforts. We all learn from the interaction/exchange process as well.

I am primarily a technical manager.... projects and people. Not the best designer or CAD user expert. So, I really appreciate the work and effort those who were challenged have put into this as a hobby. It is a fine group of people.

I just landed on Phuket island with my traumatized, beleaguered family (devastating earthquake) for some R&R for them. There are problems to solve re. amp design but some problems are more important than others in the larger scheme of things.

Stay in balance and enjoy the music.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Guys

Did anyone have original schematic of one very rare GAS -Godzilla- A(b) class power amp ?

Attachments

• Son of Godzilla Amplifier.jpg
    Son of Godzilla Amplifier.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 259
More singleton stories ?

Why not download a post-A50/'93/VFA Accuphase service manual from the web, and build a downsized version. For the <2009 A65 model, there's both SM and copycat boards of the CFA online.

(maybe up the quiescent current per device from 70 to >100mA, also raises gm-level above sucky grade besides your ears)

Last edited:
http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/gas/gas_ampzilla_ii.pdf_1.png

Here is Ampzilla schemata

Godzilla was in Fukujima 4 years ago ;), better you search for Mike Bettinger, he restores GAS Stuff, schematics ?????, Godzilla was PA Amp, but never 400 W / Class A.
We had Ampzillas for Disco's, and added huge fans preventting them exhausting the magic smoke, sometimes still thermal shut-off...

Last edited:
http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/23432455/gas/gas_ampzilla_ii.pdf_1.png

Here is Ampzilla schemata

Godzilla was in Fukujima 4 years ago ;), better you search for Mike Bettinger, he restores GAS Stuff, schematics ?????, Godzilla was PA Amp, but never 400 W / Class A.
We had Ampzillas for Disco's, and added huge fans preventting them exhausting the magic smoke, sometimes still thermal shut-off...

Thanks for informations !

But I read somewhere that GAS-Godzilla amps was produced only in about 20 example or so , some variants was A(b) class ,and some was (a)B class , both with very high slew rate factor ( 600V/uS) and very wide BW , which indicates to me that those very rare GAS amps was probably CFA based .

Status
Not open for further replies.